Sharked!

JCP

Indeed, why don't they sell them like that? Poor long term reliability? Poor economy?

VAG engineers aren't daft, I have a hard time believing a few 3rd parties can do a better job. So why do VAG sell the engines the way they do?

Indeed, why don't they sell them like that? Poor long term reliability? Poor economy?

VAG engineers aren't daft, I have a hard time believing a few 3rd parties can do a better job. So why do VAG sell the engines the way they do?

to allow for many many variables that are out of their control once the car leaves their factory ie poor quality fuel, environmental conditions, poor servicing schedules.... I know a couple of engineers at the biggest car manufacturers - specifically in the engine testing and dev departments and if they can survive what they are put through with them its clear they have very large tolerances indeed and should be fine with a stage 1 map in most circumstances. The OP's Yeti, if serviced correctly, will run that stage 1 map for 100,000 miles with no issues and if used primarily for cruising on the motorways, will provide better mpg figures than it did before. The 1.8tsi is a great example of a largely under stressed engine - effectively a destroked two litre as used in the Golf GTi and Octy VRS. :)
  • Like 3

VAG engineers develop the same engines with different power and torque outputs and their beancounters then allocate them to different brands so they can sell them at different prices. I'd like to buy a Yeti with Golf GTI power but they only sell that as an Audi. My economy is slightly improved and unless I completely change my driving style I don't anticipate any reliability issues.

• Like 1

I don't know about long term reliability but economy isn't an issue with a remap. My Shark Stage 1 was done last year and it's around 2mpg better now than before the remap (9K done since then). The remap definitely transforms the car :)

Shark have a group buy on ATM too where you get their latest STS unit free if anyone is thinking of taking the plunge

Yep, think this could be the point I finally get round to a remap.

Handy getting the STS for free, as it means I don't have to travel to Shark to get it done, and I have a means of switching back to standard if I need to.

Plus 10% discount for Freedom members too :)

• Like 1

Very tempted too

Go on, you know you want to..... my insurer won't cover anything more than a 10% increase so I'm ****** BUT for anyone wanting a remap this is best of both worlds IMO and at a seriously reduced price too ....bu88er!

• Like 1

Go on, you know you want to..... my insurer won't cover anything more than a 10% increase so I'm ****** BUT for anyone wanting a remap this is best of both worlds IMO and at a seriously reduced price too ....bu88er!

We have custom written maps for people in your shoes before. It's possible to have a great gain in torque and still keep the BHP down if that's what you require :) BHP are the numbers everyone shouts about, torque is really the important bit!

• Like 1

I'd like to buy a Yeti with Golf GTI power but they only sell that as an Audi. 

Not in the Q3 any more, if that's what you're thinking of? (Or was it the RS Q3?) Post-FL the best petrol Q3 is now the 184PS (in the UK at least, I think 227PS is available in eg Germany still). Mine (180PS I mean) might be here next week but more likely the week after Easter.