Alex Lawrie - Liverpool..

DGW

• 2 weeks later...

Had nothing but bad experiences with Alex Lawrie in Liverpool. Having moved to Liverpool myself and gotten married, I switched my Motability dealership from the excellent Lightcliffe (Warrington) to Alex Lawrie.  I figured Lightcliffe's excellent service was to be expected of all Skoda dealers. Unfortunately not so.

When we were with them last year, Alex Lawrie were discourteous, disinterested and generally arrogant throughout. When it was time to order a new vehicle and I mentioned this to the desk staff, I was pointed at some guy in a suit by the door who was drinking coffee and playing around on his PC. He barely glanced up at us as we were examining the Octavia (then newly released mk3) in front of his desk, and upon approaching him he didn't even look away from his screen to answer us. He just said something along the lines of 'It's right there, just go and look at it'.

I told him we were considering ordering one to replace our Superb, and asked a couple of basic questions about the engine choices. He just shrugged and said 'Dunno off the top of my head' and carried on fooling on his computer. No 'good afternoon', no 'I'll just check for your Sir as I'm not sure'... just total disinterest.

We walked out and, this year, decided to call back to ask about placing an order. We thought perhaps we'd just got the work experience lad, or somebody on their lunch. Who knows? We enquired after the Octavia again, and this time enquired between the TSI and CR estates. The guy was moderately enthusiastic in his basic sales pitch at least, but once again clueless on the technical aspects (I don't mean camshafts and clearances, I mean even basic things like hp output, suspension setup etc). We asked after the interior upgrade and eventually (only after us asking twice) we were pointed at a locked car in the car park and eventually the guy opened it and stood back while we looked inside.

No interest was shown, no interaction, not much of anything. Once we got out he locked the car and said he'd ring us if he could find a car for us to have a test drive. That was a month ago, and we've heard nothing since (nor, given their attitude, did I expect to).

In the meantime we've placed an order with the far more helpful Lightcliffe Warrington who are a whole different ball game. Coffee as soon as you walk in, helpful but non-pushy salespeople who know their car specs (Georgina is great), and always happy to prompt you when you miss a feature and to ask questions to make sure the vehicle is suitable for you and your needs. It couldn't be a more different experience - relaxed, friendly, happy and not rushed. Lightcliffe took us on three test drives - TSI, CR and again in the TSI to make sure I was happy. Alex Lawrie couldn't even be arsed ringing me back lol...

I wouldn't use Alex Lawrie again if they were the last Skoda dealer in the north west, and have written to Motability to share our experience also.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Nice showroom, but not a pleasant dealership. Quite passively rude. So much so that they lost out on over £22K, which went to Mitchells instead.

Went in to do the deal, wanted to take an extended test drive in the 2.0l first (had a supervised test drive previously in the 1.6l which was a bit weak), but had to sit down and talk money as it 'was the last day of the month and they couldn't afford to be out of the showroom if i wasn't serious about purchasing'. Also got told to get out of the finance guys office while he was looking up prices.Their bottom line price was well above the initial price offered by Mitchells via email. So guess where I went.

Turned up at Mitchells, had a quick chat and was handed the keys to a 2.0l elegance saloon and was told to go for a test drive as far as I wanted and to have fun. Came back, had a nice chat, some fun bartering and did the deal for almost a grand more than the cheapest online broker price, but only a hundred or so more than the most 'reputable' online dealer (Drive the deal). Even in the porta-cabins this was a much more pleasant experience.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I've only ever dealt with the service side of things so I can't speak for the other parts of the dealership. Have zero complaints with the service team and wouldn't consider going anywhere else. A lot of places are quite pushy with trying to get you to have work done but after what must be 40k of services they have never once tried anything. Maybe I just look like the type who knows about cars  :nerd:

• 4 weeks later...

I've just had my 60,000 mile variable service done here.  I've used them before for DSG clutch pack replacement and was impressed and once again, I can't fault the service.  Always very polite (I dealt with Tony on service reception), he phoned me at work to keep me informed of progress, I was dropped off in Liverpool city centre in the morning and the driver offered to collect me from work in the evening (I already had a lift back). The car was returned clean and driven to the showroom door and all the work they had done was fully explained. Like I said, can't be faulted.

• 1 month later...

Had another visit here yesterday, unscheduled this time. I was out the previous evening and the glow plug light began flashing and the car went into limp home mode.  Luckily I was nearly home but when I turned off and restarted the light had cleared.  I went out again a couple of times and the fault did not recur.  I thought it might be a one-off and was going to see if it happened again, but searching on here, it seemed it could be a multitude of potential faults. I drive 25 miles each way along the M62 each day to work and the thought of going into limp home mode on the M62 at rush hour did not appeal to me.  So I decided to call into Alex Lawrie Liverpool for advice the next day on my way to work, but without an appointment.  On arrival at 8.10am Kris on service reception said they would immediately hook it up to the computer and have a look if I'd like to wait.  An hour later I was called over and told that the fault was the EGR valve and the cost of repair would be £980! I am 8 months out of warranty.  However, he had already spoken to Skoda and as I have a full service history from new, Skoda had agreed to contribute 100% to the part and 50% to the labour, leaving me £292 to pay.  In addition, they could do the job that day if I could leave the car with them! I was pretty amazed at this to be honest.  I've dealt with numerous dealers over the years, good and bad, but to me, this was above and beyond.  I was driven into work in the city centre and called at 4pm to say the work had been done.  When I arrived Kris gave me a bit more good news.  As the required software update hadn't taken as long as thought, my contribution would only be £236.  From the fault occurring it had taken me less than 24 hours to have it diagnosed and repaired! I've recommended these guys before.  After yesterday, that recommendation is even stronger!  

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I had booked my car in next month to have some work done, including the rear brake pads which I knew were low after 85000 miles. However, I heard a noise from the brakes when coming home from work yesterday and when I checked, the pads were clearly shot. I phoned Kris in service at 9.30am today and he immediately said if I could get the car to them, he'd get the pads changed. I work in Liverpool so had the car with them by 10am. I was run back to work and got a text in the afternoon from Kris with a vehicle report. On his advice I got the brake fluid changed too. Once again, as with my EGR valve, the fault had been fixed within 24 hours of occuring. That's why I keep coming back. I was a sad to hear from Kris that he is moving roles within the Company. He's helped me out with problems on more than one occasion and in my view was a superb Service Manager. However, I was really pleased to see that Billy Keir, who was Service Manager at Lightcliffe Warrington when I bought the car 4 years ago, works there now. His leaving Lightcliffe was one of the reasons I moved to Alex Lawrie. He's a top service guy too and like Kris, is friendly, knowledgeable, helpful and personable. He dealt with me when I collected the car and we had a good chat! Best garage I've dealt with without doubt.

• 2 months later...

Alex Lawrie came to the rescue again today.  Got a bulb warning light on the dash this morning and it was one of the number plate lights that I had changed last year. I had a spare so tried to change it in the dark before I left for work but the new bulb didn't light up.  I had no time to look further but as I replaced the holder the bulb flashed briefly then other side went out too. I now had no number plate lights at all with what looked like a wiring fault, so I called the garage at 8am on my way to work.  I was told to bring it in at 1pm and they'd have a look. I drove up in my lunch hour, had the car back after 40 minutes, fault fixed and bulbs replaced and car valeted as well.  I was back at work by 2.10pm and was charged just £24. I can drive home legally tonight. Great service as usual. Thanks to Tony in the Service department and the techs who sorted it.

• 5 months later...

As you can see from my posts above, Alex Lawrie have looked after my car for a few years now.  Even though its well out of warranty, I still choose to have work done there because, even though I didn't buy the car from them, they clearly aren't one of those garages that lose interest once a car leaves the showroom.  My car has just had a major service at 97,000 with the brakes discs and pads changed at the front, the brake fluid changed and the tracking sorted.  Once again, the service received was excellent, with Billy in service discounting a good proportion of the bill by 15%.  I was contacted regularly during the day, including a call the day before the service to check the details. As I've said many times, I can't fault them. 

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

The service remains the same however.  I had a couple of issues which are well covered in various threads on here, namely the alarm going off randomly and the temperature dropping in cold weather (even though the engine was thoroughly warm) due to a faulty thermostat.  The car was booked in for the day after I phoned, for which I was grateful as I couldn't lock it when I parked due to the alarm triggering repeatedly.  Both issues were dealt with and sorted.  Excellent service, as always, from Billy on service reception.

• 3 months later...

Had a phone call from Redditch this morning, was Johnsons call centre asking if I wanted to book My Citigo in for its first service.Had this with the i10 I had last year you think you are talking to the dealer in Liverpool but you are actually talking to some one near Birmingham.It wasnt until I put the phone down I realised they quoted £181 for the service,I then emailed Lawries/Johnsons in Liverpool asking to confirm the price.20 minutes later I get a phone call from Redditch confirming £181,I then informed them their own website quotes £159.They agreed to match this price.

I don't know if the days of going into Lawries/Johnsons at a moments notice with your car are over because they do like everthing to go through Redditch first now that Johnsons have taken over.

• 3 weeks later...

End of an era now, it’s really losing the personal touch. Tony Casford has now left as the service advisor, all calls go through Johnson’s call centre and now I’m getting the odd random call as a sales pitch. The annoying thing is they don’t know what I’m currently driving it seems, and the fact it’s only a year old.

i used to make the trip from Warrington to Liverpool, avoiding Lightcliffe in Warrington, but now Alex Lawries is just another corporate drone, I may as well go to lightcliffe and save time and fuel.

Cant even call my usual sales guy direct, so after 8 cars from them, I’ll probably now look elsewhere.

Oh well, time and change march onwards, but not always for the better.

Up until 2008, I always had Ford cars but got fed up with appalling customer service so switched to Skoda.  As I worked in Liverpool at the time, Alex Lawries was my obvious choice for service and repairs.  I must say that they were a breath of fresh air after Ford dealers.  I have always found them to be helpful, knowledgeable, flexible and friendly but businesslike.  When I retired a few years ago, I continued to go to Lawries although it is not the nearest Skoda dealer to me.  That says a lot.

When they were bought out by Johnsons, my first reaction was that they would lose the personal touch which seems to be what is happening now according to the threads above.  This is a great shame as there are few dealers in the car trade that I would put my trust in.

I intend to carry on using Lawries for the time being and will make my own mind on whether to continue with them longer term based on my experiences.  Sad to hear that Tony Casford has moved on.  I dealt with him a lot and found him first class.

Took My Citigo in this morning for its first service.Billy is still there and there is now 2 female service advisors there now who are brand new.The lady who dealt with myself was efficient and very pleasant.About 90 mins' after I dropped the car off My phone pinged to tell me a text had arrived.It was from the service department and had a short video attached-it was the safety check being carried out on My car while it on the ramp, the mechanic was wearing a body cam and gave a rolling commentary as he inspected the tyre/shocks/cv joint/exhaust etc which I thought was excellent.The car was ready on time with no problems to report  so all in all no complaints from Me.

• 5 weeks later...

Absolute contrast to my experiance. Dropped my Superb off for a software upgrade and to check my wing mirrors. Cover in central console was hanging off and they had took my parking sticker clip off my window. Spoke to James Harkness this morning. Says he'll order me a new clip for the window and said he'll send me his email address for pictures of the damage. Still waiting.

IMG_20180419_093723.jpg

Just now, SpeedyB79 said:

Absolute contrast to my experiance. Dropped my Superb off for a software upgrade and to check my wing mirrors. Cover in central console was hanging off and they had took my parking sticker clip off my window. Spoke to James Harkness this morning. Says he'll order me a new clip for the window and said he'll send me his email address for pictures of the damage. Still waiting.

IMG_20180419_093723.jpg

No apology or ex Gratia offers for damage caused. Below is my clipless window.

IMG_20180419_093739.jpg

54 minutes ago, leckman said:

How on earth did they manage to remove the ticket clip?.

Ain't got a clue. Sat in my car with Billy showing the fault I thought I had with the mirrors Nd noticed it was gone. They did "clean" the car when it was with them for the upgrade but the car had done 2 miles aswell. My guess is the who ever cleaned it must of snapped it off.