Fuel tank

This has been covered many times but still a little confused

Today I thought I would fill my car up to the brill for the 1st time

I only managed 41 litres, the needle was at Rock bottom and trip showed 10 miles in the car

People speak of a button or nipple at the right of the filler cap I don't seem to have this a have a small nozzle that can be moved up and down on the right hand side in the filler neck

Just wondering how much fuel have you managed to get in the tank

Car in questions is vRS se

I believe maximum capacity is 47 litres.

Maximum I have ever put in, with the needle almost hitting empty is about the same, at 40 - 41 litres

Didn't fancy the bother on sucking the crud off the bottom of the fuel tank, and block injectors, and, risk having to bleed the fuel system..

The little nozzle in question is to release the air from the expansion tank, it may or may not be that your expansion tank had no air in it anyway. Sometimes when I come to fill up and it is a warm day, pressing the 'nozzles' results in a hiss as the air is released. Recently however I've had no hissing at all. I do not know how much the expansion tank holds, although I doubt it will be a lot.

JRJG

So I guess it's the normal amount I read afew other posts and heard people get over 50 on a fill

No I don't think I've heard and hissing from the tank but then ive only had the car in the cold weather

The fuel light comes on with ~2 gallons/10 litres remaining, and the needle stops with ~1 gallon/5 litres remaining, at which point the trip computer will indicate 0 miles remaining.

Going beyond the needle-stop mark was the only way I could get a 1000 km tank. 

Ive out 55l in mine. Best way is to hold the bead all the time . Saves stop start.

I wouldnt fill like that on a warm day and leave it full full. The tank is there to allow expansion of the fuel.

Its just inside the neck.

When you fill the tank normally, then replace the lid its the collar on the lid that pushes it open allowing the air out and fuel in to equalise. Leaving a void of air in both tanks not just the expansion tank

Hth

• 4 weeks later...

From fuel light on can get between 47-49 litres using the brim fill technique using the expansion button, only putting in tesco fuel due to getting upto 20 pence a litre of max, did fill my car couple of months ago with tesco fuel and managed 585 miles and light came on, went up to Aberdeen, on my return I filled with esso and only managed 440 ish miles return trip, so tesco out performed esso. Like people are saying some diesels give better economy/performance than others the other thing is price per litre.

• Like 1

its all the same stuff.

comes out the same tank as shell and BP and others.  As they fill the tankers they tell the computer what customer its for and the computer puts the required additives in to the mix. 

We had a fleet of cars at work the 1 mondeo was the only one fill regularly fill at tescos and within 80k it had two sets of injectors the garaged we used was adamant it was the cheaper supermarket fuel that was eating the seals in the injectors

We had a fleet of cars at work the 1 mondeo was the only one fill regularly fill at tescos and within 80k it had two sets of injectors the garaged we used was adamant it was the cheaper supermarket fuel that was eating the seals in the injectors

This is why I go to Asda. 

I did a 400+ mile trip on Tesco fuel and my car ran like a little good un. 

• Like 1

Fuel pump pickup is always at the bottom of the tank, however much or little fuel there is in there.

And there's a dirty great fuel filter that won't allow anything bigger than ~10 microns through at all. So there's that.

Is it me or are VRS owners starting to sound like hysterical, superstitious women due to continual turbo failures?  :D