DSG 6 Speed vs DSG 7 Speed

Hello all,

I have been a member for a while but only on the Fabia 1 and Fabia 2 pages, i had a very brief ride in a friends 2011 VRS DSG today with the 2.0 Litre petrol engine in it, it was very nice indeed and showed me what i have been missing when i comes to seemless gear shifts (thinking of bumper to bumper traffic here), but he said his box was a 6 speed ' wet ' clutch and the newer ones are 7 speed and a ' dry ' clutch ??? Any advantages or disadvantages in both, ie should i get the newer one with the 7 speed or is this 6 speed box ok ? I have decided on a petrol version as i only cover 7,000 a year to work and back with maybe another 1,000 miles added for holidays etc, so under 10,000 a year easy, i think a diesel would be a poor financial decision with those figures.

Thanks

• Like 1

New octavia vrs is still the 6 speed dsg not the 7 speed

Oh..... i had assumed that because the new Mk3 DSG Fabia was the 7 speed that the more upmarket Octavia would of been anyway, ok.... 6 speed it is then..... whey the warranty are these 6 speeders prone to blowing up etc ?

Rule of thumb is that smaller engines seem to use the 7 speed and the larger more powerful engines have the 6 speed.

• Like 1

Rule of thumb is that smaller engines seem to use the 7 speed and the larger more powerful engines have the 6 speed.

It's not the same across all the VAG range though as my 177 Tiguan is one of the 'powerful' engines but with the more capable 7 speed box.

Not too confused...although .....

So is the 7 speed considered better than the 6 speed forgetting the torque element of it ? The other car on my list was the new Fabia SE-L 1.2 TSI with DSG in the estate form.

basically the "wet" DSG can handle more torque due to the liquid cooling.

But, the "dry" DSG is more efficient as it is not "dragging", nor indeed pumping  the cooling oil/liquid around.

The dry box is also lighter, which also makes it more efficient, in respect of overall fuel economy.

The number of ratios is a sideshow.

Excellent, all understood now..... just need to decide between a 200-220 bhp beast or a nice gentle estate Fabia :)

Get the 220bhp beast!!

Not too confused...although .....

So is the 7 speed considered better than the 6 speed forgetting the torque element of it ? The other car on my list was the new Fabia SE-L 1.2 TSI with DSG in the estate form.

Piece of crap gearbox - don't touch it

The 7 speed gearbox seems to be suffering with issues relating to the clutches. They seem to wear down quite quickly and need replacing.

There was also an issue that needed a recall where they changed the oil in the gearbox and did a software update.

The 6 speed is more reliable due to the clutches being lubricated. It also has an oil change schedule whereas the 7 speed doesn't.

The 6 speed is also a bit smoother as it slips the clutches in certain circumstances to smooth out the changes etc.

Phil