Thompson and Thompson - Caldicot

DGW

Originally posted by KLB - Fri Nov 7, 2003

Thompson & Thompson have taken over the Skoda franchise from Langstone Motors. They were in the middle of a major upgrade to their premises when I took my car there.

Work done:

• Investigated "Check Coolant" warning I had been getting regularly on cold starts. Diagnosed as "low coolant level", even though it looked OK on visual inspection.
  • Replaced all four coil packs under warranty.

They didn't charge for investigating the coolant problem, or for topping it up, even though it wasn't a warranty job.

The (temporary) waiting room was small, uncomfortable, and isolated. Perhaps it will be better when the building work is finished.

Originally posted by KLB - Mon Sep 6, 2004

This was a 40,000 mile service; also the first one I've had since the warranty expired.

How can I best describe the service? Well, "mediocre" springs to mind. Nothing seriously wrong, but I was not impressed when they charged me for a screen wash top-up (it was full; when I asked how they managed to top it up, they said "we had to take some out first").

They also "forgot" to reset the service indicator. If they can miss that, what else have they missed, FFS?

I think the final straw was their "complimentary" wash which left the car grubbier that it was when it went in. I washed and dried it last night; but it looks like they just hosed it down, leaving streaks and water marks all over.

It's not so serious that I want to take any further action, but they've just lost a customer - I won't be going there again.

Originally posted by Usksider - Wed Oct 20, 2004

I can't quite bring myself to give Thompson & Thompson a "1", but they are very close to it.

This dealership serves Skoda, Seat and Kia, and I suspect they have taken on too much.

Nothing to add to the previous post re: servicing except to endorse what has been said.

Not impressed that my Octavia has been a frequent visitor for engine management warnings and in 30000 miles has had two lambda (sp!) probes and a temperature sensor replaced, but the fault still occurrs periodically. I've also been charged for being told "there's no fault preesent" when the engine management system has been checked and reset!

Originally posted by simoneyd - Sat dec 4, 2004

They repaired my rear Electric windows, were polite courteous seem to have done a good job. One thing was the parts took a week to come but they had the door skins off diagnosed the problem and pinned the windows so I could use the car in the meantime.

Courtesy car was given on the day and the work was completed promptly. They cleaned the car, admittedley not very well but I'd prefer they concentrate on the mechanics than the cleaning.

Friend of mine took his Leon Cupra there for a diagnostics...

...they charged him labour from the time he dropped the car off, to the time he collected it later that evening, even though the diagnostics had been printed off within an hour of him leaving the car there!

I bought my car from there, but never had it serviced by them... a brand new car with some light surface scratches (polished out thankfully!), and headlights angled to the floor (position switch barely moved them, as the lights were pretty much as low as they could physically go!) - was told they were correct when I asked for alignment to be checked!! Let's just say I think I should be lighting up more than 1 cats eye at a time on a motorway!! :eek: Wasn't impressed!

Have heard many bad stories of this dealership...

• 3 months later...

We went there to look at Skodas and found them to be very pushy to the point of being rude, needless to say we took our trade elsewhere. I would advise anyone in this area to avoid this dealership and go to Winners, Cinderford or Capitol Skoda, Newport, the extra distance will be well worth it.

• 5 years later...