Capitol Skoda - Newport.

DGW

Just bought my 3rd Skoda in 2 years from Capitol. I haven't used them for servicing but I have found salesman Paul Figoera to be pretty good. I must admit my needs to be pretty minimal. I do my homework then haggle hard and will walk if I am pushed and pushed on stuff like GAP, Autoglym. Paul has understood this and so it has been a very easy relationship.

My father had a good recent experience with warranty work/servicing with White Dove so may try them for servicing if only for the fact that WD are very local to me and Capitol are maybe 16 miles away.

• 4 months later...

Just got my car back yesterday after 10 days with Capitol. I found them yet again to be very helpful especially bearing in mind how Skoda Uk were not forth coming with information help on why I had to have the recovery people out 3 times with the same fault. Must mention two people, Jenny who could do enough to help and go the extra and Dean who took his time to explain the details of the many pages that were exchanged with Skoda UK.

• 4 months later...

Second to none in the area, worth a trip even if you are within a 30 mile radius. Excellent staff, showroom waiting area and coffee. Just had my mkiii Octavia serviced there. Ive been using them for nearly 10 years and they have always been great.

Edited by ployb

Jenny and Haley at the service desk are very friendly and helpful.

I have simply found that even if you are quite demanding but still polite that it goes a long way.

We had a disappointing experience with Capitol Skoda.

There were two cars advertised for sale on their site which we were keen to view and test drive, and were in a position to purchase if the viewing and test drive went well. Unfortunately when we went over there to view/test drive them, they couldn't find either car and weren't sure exactly where they were or who had them. The sales person didn't really know very much about the spec level of the car itself or what it included - but was very clued up on the financial products that they were able to offer us on the cars they couldn't find...

We were told the sales person would contact us when the cars were located, but they hadn't contacted us around a week later. We chased up a few times, on the second chase up call we were informed that one car had sold (though was still available on the web site), and one was being used as a bodyshop car elsewhere and we'd need to place a deposit on it before we could test drive it...

Fast forward a week, the sales person called and told us that the car which we were told was previously sold was now available to test drive..!

By this point we'd found the same spec/model in another local Skoda dealer, with less mileage, and a lower price so did not have any further dealings with Capitol.

• 1 month later...

Had a similar experience to merridee in my first dealings with Capitol.

I originally requested a brochure and test drive via the Skoda website. Brochurearrived promptly with a covering letter saying the local dealership would be in touch to arrange a test drive.

After a couple of weeks I had no contact from Capitol so I called in. Salesman (Geoff) was pretty much of the type to tell me what I wanted rather than properly ascertain my needs and offer options. I knew from my reading on here that he was telling me some blatant porkies. As I was going to be away for a few days we made a specific arrangement for him to call me the following Wednesday to arrange the test drive as I had the Thursday and Friday off work to do this.

Wednesday came and went with no phone call and I have heard nothing further in the now almost two weeks since. My feeling was that if this is the attitude when I'm potentially going to spend £25k on a new car, I dread to think what it would be like if I had any warranty or repair problems. Given the positive experience of others, perhaps it's an individual issue rather than a general theme, but it's certainly made me very reticent about dealing with them.

Edited by peridot

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Don't enjoy leaving negative reviews but afraid facts are facts.

Last month (June ) I e-mailed Capitol regarding 2 Yetis (Monte's) they were advertising ,6 days later and no reply so I took a trip down a round trip of about 70 miles so not to bad.

On arrival I explained what I was after and was given a coffee and asked for the keys to my own car so a PX quote could be given.

Some time later I was informed they were not too sure where the cars I was interested in were actually at, some mention was made of possibly with a manger or maybe in a body shop nearby but no mention of fetching them .

To top it all the quote on my own car was ridiculously low, I later received a quote of over £1500 more from two different Franchised garages.

I obviously was not too impressed and came away.

2 days later I recieved a phone asking how my experience at Capitol had been ,I promise you I was polite in my replies !

The wife has just reminded me that the salesperson did mention if we put a deposit down she would be able to find the cars for a test drive at a later date.

This sounds very similar to Merridee's experience.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I went to look at a new Octavia. Had to make an appointment to see salesman. Kept me waiting for 1hr so I walked out.

Not impressed

They phoned me after and gave me figures but said no movement on price and they didn't contact me again. I've taken my 30k elsewhere

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I posted this in the SII section earlier.

Not just the cost of the mot.

Slightly misleading title because now at the end of my fourth year of ownership and I had my second mot. No problem it sailed through as you might expect but for £39 it came with a report on the bits and pieces plus it was cleaned and valeted. Now that is service and value. Was able to use the Wi-Fi while I waited drink some hot chocolate look at some cars and gave friendly chats with staff and fellow customers in which we exchanged experiences.
Now I know people have differences in their experience but one should not just state (correctly) when things go wrong but we should say when we have excellent service.
Btw it was Capitol Skoda in Newport, South Wales.          

• 4 months later...

Going to be boring now seeing as I was the last person to post.

Just had my third variable service (55600 miles) by Capitol Skoda in Newport. They had the car for two days as there was some warranty issues (I have the five year warranty) plus the emissions update plus the service. They changed the air, oil and fuel filters sent me a video of the health check which found a nail in the tyre! All for £125. The warranty items were clearly explained to me as to what they are going to replace, I did provide two VCDS print outs, one from April and one from the 7th August which clearly showed amongst other things that the drivers memory seat fault re occurring on more than 100 times. I will get four new wheels of which I will pay for one as two wheels have kerb damage.

Steve and Dean and especially Jenny were very good in their proactive approach, thank you.

• 1 year later...

Me again.

Must say thank you to Capitol Skoda, Newport for lending me a Karoq, since Thursday, in my quest to find a car to replace the wife's Yaris. It is the first car while looking/test driving many that I have not wanted/very reluctant to hand back for my SII, L&K. This is the third car they have lent to me (Ateca, three days and Arona, two days). This despite knowing that the wife prefers the shape of the Mokka:crying:.

I have stated in other posts it is your relationship with your dealer that is very important and I have a very good one with them and all the staff. It is this type of interface that has enabled me to test drive these cars.:thumbup:. When I need to be I am very demanding, just ask them and Skoda UK and the warranty department.

• 6 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I always report when I get good service or bad not matter if it is car, hotel or holiday.

So just for a change I must report the excellent service that I have received from Capitol Skoda Newport.

Got my car back yesterday. Service, brake fluid and mot done.

Also had the original Blocked throttle Position Sensor G69 totally cleaned including the spigot noted by PipH, thank you.

Total cost £185.68.

Oh by the way even though the car is over 7 years old (93k miles) and the "fix" was done 2 years ago early last August, Skoda paid for that part to be stripped and cleaned. There were circumstances as I had reported it last August but had not been able to get the car to the garage until a month ago (illness). The dealer (Senior service receptionist Jenny Cox) was extremely helpful in supporting my claim as was Martin Bergman (Skoda CS) to get Skoda to pay.

Very pleased just to be driving my car after nearly 7 months and especially pleased with the above outcome.

• 3 months later...

Still not impressed with Newport skoda. Bought my Octavia from another dealer and it need ed warranty work done. All arranged and booked in at Newport.  Dropped car off first thing and had a call to come and collect car in the afternoon. Was told it wasn't covered under warranty. V annoyingas they had made the problem worse. Feels like dealing with a cheap 2nd hand car dealer.

Fast forward to now     buying a new karoq     just went to look      sit in and test     no interest from them in selling me a car      salesman sat looking at his mobile      so took my 35k to another dealer

• 3 months later...

Just had my first MOT and brake fluid change on the Spaceback at Capitol Newport. £88 all in which for a main dealer I thought was excellent value for money. I had a few months left of my approved warranty which included any MOT work. I didnt need it as the car passed with no advisories. Usually excellent service from Jenny Cox.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

A great dealer if you want to be ripped off! Phoned them for a quote to change the cambelt on my 2017 Skoda Octavia and I was quoted £1200 plus. I informed them about Skoda's fixed price maintenance scheme throughout the UK and was told that this was the price as set out by Skoda UK. Yet Sinclair in Swansea advertises the same job at £600 and that also includes the water pump. Most Skoda UK dealers have similar prices. I even emailed Rhys Diment who is in charge of the whole of Capitol's different dealer franchises but of course he couldn't be bothered to reply. I expect he's too busy counting the cash he's raking in!!

1845176515_SinclairMaintenance.thumb.jpg.9196ea3787bc6bebbf326ddab5f76d58.jpg