Carista OBD2 - A cheaper alternative to (some of) VCDS

Almost all of the customisation options I saw are those normally available on cars with Maxidot so I'm guessing there is no long coding going on, simply activating or deactivating options.

• Like 1

Almost all of the customisation options I saw are those normally available on cars with Maxidot so I'm guessing there is no long coding going on, simply activating or deactivating options.

The setting of fogs as DRLs also requires a setting to adjust the intensity, which doesn't appear to be present in the app and dongle set-up

Very true, if it had worked my 'fogs as DRL's' would have been at full brightness, not ideal.

Although modern LED DRL's and even some non-LED DRL's (Nissan Note, Dacia Sandero) are already way brighter than the full intensity front fog lights on my Scout.

A long shot but I've emailed Carista to see what they say. I wonder if the App is regularly updated with additional options becoming available over time?

I might give the Torque App a go too, does anyone know if this has different customisation options?

• Like 1

A long shot but I've emailed Carista to see what they say. I wonder if the App is regularly updated with additional options becoming available over time?

I might give the Torque App a go too, does anyone know if this has different customisation options?

Torque app is good for data logging, air temp, boost etc, plus 0-60 and quarter mile times :)

• Like 1

I got a fast and courteous response from Carista just now, they even offered a refund without me asking.

I'm happy to pay the £15.90 for the features it offers, still a great piece of kit for me.

I appreciate that what I'm trying to achieve is possible, but I think I'm asking too much from Carista. VCDS is best for these types of more complicated or long coding alterations.

Still a thumbs up from me  :thumbup:

"Hi, thanks for purchasing Carista. Unfortunately, I don't think it's possible to do what you want on your model. The guy who posted that thread originally has a 2010 Octavia, which uses different electronics (based on the Golf 6), whereas your 2008 is based on the Golf 5. So the options are a bit different for these cars. And yes, I believe the fogs can be enabled or disabled only in addition to the "all lights" option.

If you think this was misleading, I'd be fine with giving you a refund. But hopefully you can find enough usefulness in the rest of the app to be worth the money you spent :)

Regards,
Todor Kalaydjiev
Prizmos LLC"

I tried it with a wifi ELM327 OBDII device for an iPhone, iPad etc. Carista reported no fault codes whereas VCDS reported a battery-related one which I should have cleared after changing the battery. No customisations are available for the Fabia Mk 1 - nor for later Fabia models as far as I could see. I haven't tried it on my Yeti for which customisations are available.

The OBDII WiFi module arrived today, connected the iPad to the WiFi and Carista connected straight away :)

A falt code to do with the rear speakers showed up which I already knew about and I managed to get the fog lights acting as the DRL. Its not an exhaustive list and still leaves a lot of things I'll be having done via VCDS but still a handy bit of kit.

I've also started using Dash Command to data log and get some performance figures, the OBDII WiFi connected with that app seamlessly aswell.

This is the one I purchased http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00LE58L9W?ref_=pe_1909131_65443131_tnp_email_TE_AMZLdp_1

And here's the Carista report for the changes I made :)

Doors / Windows / Remote

Auto-lock doors when moving

YES / *NO*

Auto-unlock doors when key is taken out of ignition

YES / *NO*

Auto-lock trunk when moving

*YES* / NO

Unlock trunk when doors are unlocked

*YES* / NO

Blink turn signals when locking/unlocking with remote

*YES* / NO

Allow configuring beep when locking/unlocking

*YES* / NO

Beep when locking with remote

*YES* / NO

Beep when unlocking with remote

*YES* / NO

Unlock doors via remote

*DRIVER'S DOOR ON 1ST PRESS, ALL ON 2ND* / ALL DOORS ON 1ST PRESS

Enable settings for opening/closing windows and sunroof

*YES* / NO

Open/close windows and sunroof via long-press on remote

*YES* / NO

Open only driver's window via long-press on remote

YES / *NO*

Open sunroof via long-press on remote

YES / *NO*

Close sunroof via long-press on remote

YES / *NO*

Sunroof action when opening via remote

*SLIDE* / TILT

Open/close windows and sunroof by holding key in door lock

*YES* / NO

Blink turn signals when done closing windows via remote

YES / *NO*

Enable remote control buttons when ignition is on

YES / *NO*

Instruments / Display / Dings

Display warning about using navigation when moving

YES / *NO*

Display warning about using nav voice control when moving

YES / *NO*

Lane-change turn signal auto-flasher

*ENABLED* / DISABLED

Lane-change turn signal auto-flasher count

1 FLASH / 2 FLASHES / 3 FLASHES / 4 FLASHES / *5 FLASHES*

Push-to-talk (PTT) button function

PUSH-TO-TALK / *MUTE*

Lights

Allow configuring daytime running lights via dash display

*YES* / NO

Use designated DRL bulbs as daytime running lights

*YES* / NO

Use low beams as daytime running lights

YES / *NO*

Use fog lights as daytime running lights

*YES* / NO

Turn off daytime running lights ("wink") when turn signal is on

*YES* / NO

Turn off daytime running lights when parking brake is on

YES / *NO*

Coming-home lights

*ENABLED* / DISABLED

Leaving-home lights (req. auto headlights)

ENABLED / *DISABLED*

Coming-home lights mode

*MANUAL: FLASH HIGH BEAMS TO ACTIVATE* / AUTOMATIC: WHEN IT'S DARK (REQ. AUTO HEADLIGHTS)

Coming/leaving-home lights use…

*LOW BEAMS* / FOG LIGHTS

Turn off all lights when headlights are left on and ignition is switched off

*YES* / NO

Turn off front fog lights when high beams are on

YES / *NO*

Turn off rear fog lights when high beams are on

YES / *NO*

Flash brake lights in emergency stopping

*YES* / NO

Flash hazard lights in emergency stopping

YES / *NO*

Brake lights work even when ignition is off

*YES* / NO

Other

Lower passenger-side mirror when in reverse gear (may need memory seats)

*YES* / NO

Auto-enable rear wiper when front wipers on and reverse gear engaged

*YES* / NO

Auto-enable rear wiper when front wipers on (interval) and reverse gear engaged

*YES* / NO

Auto-enable rear wiper when front wipers on (continuous) and reverse gear engaged

*YES* / NO

Additional 'tear' wipe after rear window washer use

*YES* / NO

• Like 1

Have you checked the intensity of the 'fog' DRLs

Unless the intensity is reduced in percentage terms from what they would be as fogs you would be driving around all day with foglights on, which is obviously illegal

VCDS allows the intensity to be altered, I've set mine at 50% on the Octavia

• Like 1

Lights

Use designated DRL bulbs as daytime running lights

*YES* / NO

Use fog lights as daytime running lights

*YES* / NO

Does this mean you have four DRL's? Both front fog lights and the dedicated DRL's?

Have you checked the intensity of the 'fog' DRLs

Unless the intensity is reduced in percentage terms from what they would be as fogs you would be driving around all day with foglights on, which is obviously illegal

VCDS allows the intensity to be altered, I've set mine at 50% on the Octavia

I don't know what the percentage is but they are a lot dimmer than just having the fogs switched on, 50% dimmer would look about right to me

I very much doubt it. You are merely enabing or disabling features which are already present but which Skoda may not have given owners access to via Maxidot or whatever.

I have just brought it and managed to change a few things (fogs as CH/LH lights) and a few other things. Also logged an error in passenger right rear door. I know I have a problem as every so often the door doesn't unlock. 

Nice app - hopefully it will expand the functionality as time marches on

• Like 1

I saw this too, but I noticed a warning suggesting it may also affect the external light settings, have you seen any changes?

Looking at the threads on Australian mode I don't see any issues being reported but will take a look.

I would expect the modes that could cause different behavior to be Japan, US/Canada and Saudi.

Anyone have issues in Australian mode?

I've just ordered this for a bit of a play - one thing I'd like to do (but don't think it does) is have the tail lights on with DRLs, anyone know if this is possible?

Also does anyone know of a list of what the different country modes changes in terms of lighting displays etc?

The available options vary model by model and year by year.

Turning on the rear lights to work with the DRL's is available with VCDS so you might see this option in Carista!

I've not seen any lists on the differences between country settings, you might be better off asking here...

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/229766-vcds-adaptations-how-do-i/?hl=%20country%20%20settings

I too have tried this app ( Free Version ) on an Iphone5 with a Wi-Fi OBD reader and can also confirm it works fine.

My only thoughts are that looking at what I can switch on or off in the Customisation Menu, most things are already how I like them, and being that the Touran is Based on a Golf Mk 5 there is limited options unlike later models, so is it worth the £14.99 for the pro version ? :notme: 

Edited by tamiyaandy