Vrs engine death.

I have a 2011 fabia Vrs with 45k on the clock with itg induction kit, custom front mount, APR stage 1 and NGK 7 plug and now may engine has failed. It's currently at Skoda waiting for a diagnosis. Cylinder 1 plug has failed.

What do you all thing the cost is going to be. It had its 1st engine replaced at 21k. And now this one has only lasted 24k

• Like 1

Sadly it is going to be lots, and i take it you are going to have to pay now for the diagnosis.

You have no Warranty do you, due to the remap.

Sadly even having an Engine Purchased and changed not by a Skoda Dealership you are at £3,500.

Best check right away what your situation is and get the car out of that dealership.

Without a Warranty a New Engine done by a Skoda Dealership will be quoted at between £4,500 & £6,000

I have a 2011 fabia Vrs with 45k on the clock with itg induction kit, custom front mount, APR stage 1 and NGK 7 plug and now may engine has failed. It's currently at Skoda waiting for a diagnosis. Cylinder 1 plug has failed.

What do you all thing the cost is going to be. It had its 1st engine replaced at 21k. And now this one has only lasted 24k

failed as in lost compression? maybe if theres no scoring on the cylinder and its just a piston problem you can put new pistons in some WOSSER ones i think there called that may only set you back a grand plus labour 

What you need really is to talk over your situation with the Workshop Manager & Master Tech on Monday.

The Spark Plugs can be Checked, the Compression can, and a Borescope can be used to check the bores.

but if the warranty is not valid this is at your expense.

It can not be valid because the ECU will be checked and needs check, 

Any Warranty Company or Underwriter will want it checked.

If they go and strip the head off, then there you are, 

Head off car in their workshop & them quoting prices to Rebuild the Engine, Supply new head maybe, 

who knows,  but i have a pretty good idea.

So talk with them, 

talk about your options, and what is affordable and practical.    

Keep the diagnostics bill down.

Edited by goneoffSKi

What you need to talk over with the Workshop Manager & Master Tech is your situation.

The Spark Plugs can be Checked, the Compression can, and a Borescope can be used to check the bores.

but if the warranty is not valid this is at your expense.

It can not be valid because the ECU will be checked and needs check, 

Any Warranty Company or Underwriter will want it checked.

If they go and strip the head off, then there you are, 

Head off car in their workshop & them quoting prices to Rebuild the Engine, Supply new head maybe, 

who knows,  but i have a pretty good idea.

So talk with them, 

talk about your options, and what is affordable and practical.    

Keep the diagnostics bill down.

i personally wouldn't get a car stripped down at a skoda garage your talking big £££££ there i would go to an independant garage, you could also just buy a second hand engine and do a straight swap sure theres a few being broken?

Thomas,

in the UK there are 1,800 CAVE vRS, and around 20% have had replacement engines, and more have had issues.

Then there are around 3,500 other CAVE Twinchargers in Seats, VW's & Audis. and a similar failure rate.

Now you need a Crashed or Stolen Recovered car without major front end damage,

and the lottery of it being a good Engine you buy, or Engine & DSG.

I have been lucky and found such engine,

and others might be able to get a good Salvage / Breaking CAVE / CTHE and ECU.

But luck will be involved, and then a competent Mechanic to fit that engine.

So, 'Whats the Worst that can Happen'.?

Buyer Beware.

Skoda / Seat / VW DEalers were rebuilding CAVE from 2010-2011 ish and fitting new Rings / Scrapers,

but you need to see what the scores on the doors are,  or in this case 'Any Scores on the Bores'.

Lets hope it is just a Spark Plug tip burned up,

no Damage, maybe a New Set of Plugs, and Coils,

Get the Latest Soft Ware on the ECU and all sorted.

PS.

Maybe fill in an enquiry form for Parts Supplied for a used

'1.4 TSI / TFSI 132-136 kw CAVE / CAD / CTHE 2009-2012,  2012-2014 Engine.

See how many are available and what the asking price is,

that would be interesting.

Edited by goneoffSKi

Iv put in new plugs and coil packs and still got the engine light and misfire. The AA guy reckons it's got internal damage and poss a little loss of compression.

I will be waiting for a phone call tomoz of the dealership to see what the problem is. I asked them to forget pluging it into vag com as its on the report from the AA. And just asked them to do a compression check on cylinder 1 and hopefully it's not a new engine.

I will be phone customer service up as well and try to get some sort of good will out of them.

Iv put in new plugs and coil packs and still got the engine light and misfire. The AA guy reckons it's got internal damage and poss a little loss of compression.

I will be waiting for a phone call tomoz of the dealership to see what the problem is. I asked them to forget pluging it into vag com as its on the report from the AA. And just asked them to do a compression check on cylinder 1 and hopefully it's not a new engine.

I will be phone customer service up as well and try to get some sort of good will out of them.

Everyone KNOWS these engines are problematic and you need the warranty, just in case. Your original motor was a heavy oil user. Skoda met their obligations and ponied up for a new engine. You had a new engine and you mapped it. Now it's gone bang and you want Skoda to contribute a goodwill payment? Incredible. Quite incredible.

• Like 4

I am afraid what wja96 says is bang on the money, the dealership principal would have to have banged his/her head to agree to a good will gesture, if the engine is a out of the game then i am afriad the car could be a write off given the costs invovled, i do hope its not, keep us informed.

• Like 1

I will keep u all informed. There is no harm in trying my luck lol. But you never know. I though I had a strong engine. It was only using 1 litre of oil per 4k miles which I think is really good compared to my last one which used 1 litre in 700 miles.

The engines can last.

Do not trust the Spark Plugs, not the standard (OEM) in a standard engine,  and certainly not the NGK 7's (8's) in a Stage 1.

1 or 2 plugs can be on there way out at 1/2 of the VW Service Schedule Period (Guidelines.) in a standard map 

without any sporting or track use.

& the NGK 7 or 8 might be gubbed before 10,000 miles.

Edited by goneoffSKi

The engines can last.

Do not trust the Spark Plugs, not the standard (OEM) in a standard engine,  and certainly not the NGK 7's (8's) in a Stage 1.

1 or 2 plugs can be on there way out at 1/2 of the VW Service Schedule Period (Guidelines.) in a standard map 

sounds to me like this map made this car run LEAN! while using this map what fuel where you using always 99+ ron ?

The APR Map is actually very good, i run one.

The Twinchargers are running leaner standard or mapped when up to temperature, rich until then.

The Spark Plugs and the heat under load can be an issue due to the inlet design.

Be very careful of the spark plugs.

• Like 1

It's always been run on tesco momentum. It was mapped to run on that as well. It was running perfect. No drop in mpg or any more oil consumption after the map. Iv only done 6k on the map and the plugs got changed when I did the map. Iv just got my fingers crossed to see what Skoda say. I'm not hold much hope up though lol.

Soz to hear about ur engine and i hope its not dead! What a gamble it is remapping these cars. There's no way these engine's should only last 25k! 

These cars are a gamble full stop, remapping them doesn't create problems that have not been there already. The majority of the failed ones were totally stock anyway.

The engines can last.

George, most people I know with stage 1-2+ run the NGKs which are also approved by several tuners, don't know what you mean here.

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with running them.

How long are they keeping them in because they can be shot in 5,000 miles,  ie (vRSy)

or as here in 6,000 miles.

Not sure about everyone's intervals but I think around 10,000 miles is a wise thing to do with a couple of checks in-between to spot any early signs of wearing out. I'll be going for 10-15K max with mine.

Good idea.

Because different Stage 1 or 2 Maps from different providers are obviously different.

Then people use their cars differently in different countries on different fuels under different conditions.

Some may only be road use, again in different countries, and some might go on a Track Day on occasions.

(& then some people have a REVO map, and you certainly might want to check before 10,000 miles has elapsed.)

for the sake of like 60 quid for plugs its worth doing it every year or every 5-10k i personally wont be mapping my car until its way out of warranty for the reason alone atleast a tuning box is undetectable 

Not sure about everyone's intervals but I think around 10,000 miles is a wise thing to do with a couple of checks in-between to spot any early signs of wearing out. I'll be going for 10-15K max with mine.

What Warranty have they given you with your replacement engine?

What difference does it make if you wait til that Warranty is up,

like with the OP,. if it goes tits up, you are paying out anyway.

If you have a CTHE engine now and a Warranty, then hardly worth adding a Tuning Box and maybe still voiding that Warranty.

It does not matter if you think it is undetectable, because if you make a Warranty Claim they might ask you to sign a Declaration 

there were no Modifications or Enhancements, and that is what a Tuning Box is.

And why wouldn't he sign something like this? I mean after all, the remap/box might just be the perfect excuse for VW/Skoda/SEAT/Audi to get away with a few engines they would need to repair/replace/refund anyway. We all know with solid facts that apart from a few exceptions, the engines going bang did so because of design faults and not of being pushed beyond their limits.

The reason you are honest is because if you make a fraudulent warranty claim and they do some Checking of a ECU,

or even just a Loss Adjuster checking a Car Enthusiast Forum, they can ask you to Pay the Costs & Expenses,

or they might sue you.

& it happens.

• Like 1