Vrs engine death.

I'd say good luck to them trying to prove all that. If one should be suited here this should be VAG group for having the nerve to send out so many bad engines to thousands of unsuspecting customers and then acting like every failure case was an exceptional one of which they'd never heard before. Almost 5 years now and they keep denying any responsibility, a disgrace.

Or perhaps some people simply have intergrity

You mean the same integrity that one of the biggest manufacturers in the world lacks? Thanks but no thanks. I wouldn't be honest to a company that is not honest with me first.

Edited by newbie69
  • Like 2

As to proving it, they easily do that and offer you the chance to pay up or withdraw you Claim.

There are Briskoda Members it has happened to.

Not an Urban Myth.

It is a Insurer paying up for Warrantry Claims,

just like with a Traffic Accident & false statements or declarations and an attemp to defraud, and they have no Issue in getting the Police Involved when you try to Defraud them, or they find out that someone has.

That is why i am so keen on People that have a Legal Claim Against Skoda taking Legal advice and pursue them in court 

if you have a case.

Sauce for the goose.

Edited by goneoffSKi

If you choose to tune the car you have to accept the consequences , committing fraud isn't an option

It certainly is an option. If you take it or not it's another discussion.

But let's not get carried away on morality etc because if we don't like to fool ourselves (some may of course do), the problem here is very specific: There are some proven critical issues on the 1.4 twincharged TSI that have resulted to a significant part of the cars out there to be oil drinkers, plug/coil burners/engine blowers. If these failures were (exclusively) the result of tuned engines I agree it would be pretty damb to act like you know nothing about it. Very sadly, they aren't. VW has repeatedly tried to avoid any responsibility on this for the last 5 years. As opposed to some decent japanese competitors, they never made an official public statement to make things clear and they have done their best to delay or even reject appropriate actions for the customers concerned. So the way I see it, and until they would explain what exactly is the problem (hasn't happened and won't happen), I have every right to do what i think is best when I'm treated (in general the 1.4 tsi owners, not me) in such a way. In the end, by accepting I had modified any single screw in the engine bay, I might just be giving them the perfect excuse to have minus one more engine to replace. Being in the dark as we all are in that matter, do we really know whose fault it is when an engine is blown?

• Like 1

As to proving it, they easily do that and offer you the chance to pay up or withdraw you Claim.

There are Briskoda Members it has happened to.

Not an Urban Myth.

It is a Insurer paying up for Warrantry Claims,

just like with a Traffic Accident & false statements or declarations and an attemp to defraud, and they have no Issue in getting the Police Involved when you try to Defraud them, or they find out that someone has.

That is why i am so keen on People that have a Legal Claim Against Skoda taking Legal advice and pursue them in court 

if you have a case.

Sauce for the goose.

I'm not saying it hasn't happened George, far from that. Of course that is a completely different discussion, people are dumb enough nowdays to post anything online, at least if you plan on frauding smt like this you would be wise enough to make sure you don't leave evidence on public sight.

My point though is what I wrote on my previous post to Richf and has to do with VAG's responsibility on the matter.

Edited by newbie69

We know what the Warranty is,  and the provider states clearly what they consider as Exclusions.

2 wrongs do not make a right.

Because the Manufacturer has Design, Manufacturing, Material & Quality Control Failures hardly means they are covering a Modified one 

which you chose to Void the Warranty on.

Vrs-Fletch asked about going to Stage 2 a few years back, and we knew then about the possible engine failures with the CAVE Engine.

• Like 1

But let's not get carried away on morality etc because if we don't like to fool ourselves (some may of course do), the problem here is very specific: There are some proven critical issues on the 1.4 twincharged TSI that have resulted to a significant part of the cars out there to be oil drinkers, plug/coil burners/engine blowers. If these failures were (exclusively) the result of tuned engines I agree it would be pretty damb to act like you know nothing about it. Very sadly, they aren't. VW has repeatedly tried to avoid any responsibility on this for the last 5 years. As opposed to some decent japanese competitors, they never made an official public statement to make things clear and they have done their best to delay or even reject appropriate actions for the customers concerned. So the way I see it, and until they would explain what exactly is the problem (hasn't happened and won't happen), I have every right to do what i think is best when I'm treated (in general the 1.4 tsi owners, not me) in such a way. In the end, by accepting I had modified any single screw in the engine bay, I might just be giving them the perfect excuse to have minus one more engine to replace. Being in the dark as we all are in that matter, do we really know whose fault it is when an engine is blown?

We aren't talking about a single screw being altered in the engine bay but radically altering the way the engine operates , do that and I see no reason why a manufacturer should stand by the product.

If you do thats your choice but that says more about you than it does Skoda , imo

• Like 1

I only asked about goin to stage 2, because I thought i was lucky and had a good engine. Like I said earlier, this one was using 1litre of oil in 4k and with all the posts u see on here about the bad oil issues.

I know the risks of mapping the car and now I'm paying for it.

It just shows you that even with a good engine with better plugs than OEM it can still go bad.

• Like 1

Hopefully not totally totalled.   Was it Recovered to the Dealer or driven in?

I might know of a suitable engine if it came to that, but it would not be cheap.

Maybe the owner would rather buy a Car needing an engine.

I was offered a good running 2010 vRS last week for £5,500,

and its not an Oil User.  So they are out there pretty cheap.

All of that is ABSOLUTELY true, but by remapping your car you are ripping up any warranty protection you were entitled to, no matter how Skoda/VAG may have tried to wriggle out of it. Two wrongs don't make a right.

• Like 1

I only asked about goin to stage 2, because I thought i was lucky and had a good engine. Like I said earlier, this one was using 1litre of oil in 4k and with all the posts u see on here about the bad oil issues.

I know the risks of mapping the car and now I'm paying for it.

It just shows you that even with a good engine with better plugs than OEM it can still go bad.

Have you approached APR for a goodwill gesture? Labour or parts at cost?

It's much more likely their problem than Skoda UK's.

Why would it be APR's fault in anyway?  They have no Warranty, and the Customer goes to them, tested and proven product.

no issues with their maps,  they are not REVO.

The issue is the Design of the Inlet Manifold,. and when you know this and you go for a remap you need to be sure of 

Fuel, Oil, Plugs and filters.

None of it is Rocket Science.

http://revotechnik.com/support/technical/14tsi-twincharger-engine-issues

Anyone on this forum should have been well warned before taking the £4,000 gamble.

Edited by goneoffSKi

Not approached APR. I did not think they would be able to do anything. i will give them a call tomorrow after I have spoken to Skoda

My car as always been run on tesco momentum, castrol 5w-40 oil, serviced every 10k. iv always read up on here for information Iv needed.

I always wait till my car is up to temp before being heavy footed and cooling down.

Edited by Vrs-Fletch

Like i mentioned in a post vRSY said he got 5,000 miles from the NGK but i think he was Stage 2 then.

I had to change ones at 7,000 on a REVO stage 1, 1 tip was gone on cylinder 3 and Cylinder 4 was started to burn out.

We aren't talking about a single screw being altered in the engine bay but radically altering the way the engine operates , do that and I see no reason why a manufacturer should stand by the product.

If you do thats your choice but that says more about you than it does Skoda , imo

Sorry I will not explain the obvious again. Some of these engines have issues coming straight from the factory and not from remaps. The fact that Skoda and VW are still officially denying it, would make me do anything in my power to prove it's their fault if I ever had a problem. The moment they have the b***s to go out in public and explain why some engines are braking, would be the moment that I would also accept any personal responsibility is due. Until then, we are all running cars that could tomorrow be written off and we are expected to accept that. 

The fact that some people choose to close their eyes and instead use the same warranty excuse that Skoda is using to get themselves out of an expensive repair says also something about them but it's not appropriate to be stated in public forums. That is all I will say on the matter.

Have you approached APR for a goodwill gesture? Labour or parts at cost?

It's much more likely their problem than Skoda UK's.

Yeah, maybe they are also responsible for the hundreds of failed stock engines as well. 

• Like 1

You are right some of these cars do have issues , which makes tuning them and then crying about the results even more pointless

• Like 1

whilst i can agree with all the posts here and its comforting to know we are all honest as the days long, i wonder how many here, come px time will be as honest.

yes ive always used 99 ron fuel, no ive never ever thrashed my car, not a drop of oil used sir, never scratched an alloy or had one repaired, i could go on and on here but im pretty sure all of us will tell a little white lie and say our cars a great example of a VRs come the time to sell

what im getting at here is that unless your asked a specific question you tell them nothing, thats not telling any lies its just not offering any info not asked for

And whilst two wrongs dont make a right, the same can be said that revenge is sweet, nobody at skoda or their representatives told ANYONE here that there cars WILL use oil and to check it every few hundred miles when they were buying their cars, or that the plugs dont last 40k should i go on?

Im not a dishonest person but i will treat Skoda dealers the way they treated me, if they dont ask a specific question i dont offer the info

• Like 2

whilst i can agree with all the posts here and its comforting to know we are all honest as the days long, i wonder how many here, come px time will be as honest.

yes ive always used 99 ron fuel, no ive never ever thrashed my car, not a drop of oil used sir, never scratched an alloy or had one repaired, i could go on and on here but im pretty sure all of us will tell a little white lie and say our cars a great example of a VRs come the time to sell

what im getting at here is that unless your asked a specific question you tell them nothing, thats not telling any lies its just not offering any info not asked for

And whilst two wrongs dont make a right, the same can be said that revenge is sweet, nobody at skoda or their representatives told ANYONE here that there cars WILL use oil and to check it every few hundred miles when they were buying their cars, or that the plugs dont last 40k should i go on?

Im not a dishonest person but i will treat Skoda dealers the way they treated me, if they dont ask a specific question i dont offer the info

This. Nail on head. There's a few here claiming to be holier than thou but I can guarantee come resale time the tune will change.

• Like 1

I would 100% be talking to APR. Skoda will argue that the remap caused the failure. You will need APR to prove they didn't.

Ultimately someone has to pay for the repair. Either the engine was duff and would have failed anyway - Skoda has to pay

Or

APR over-egged the pudding and their remap blew it up. In which case APR should pay.

it pretty much has to be one or the other.

Actually there is a big issue, and that is not those that traded in or sold oil users, or remapped cars.

It is that they are not Checked even by Skoda Dealers before being resold, 

so they can Have had or still have a REmap on the ECU,  the XDS or Brake Balance or Steering reset,

then the new owner has an Issue and requires a Warranty Claim, and it gets rejected.

This has happened a few times now with new members coming here,

& they have ended up returning the cars, and yet it still is going on.

Cars Traded in, the Service Campaign not done. or the latest Software installed, and the car sold to some Unsuspecting Customer.

But then that is because of how Skoda UK & VW have stuck their head in the sand for over 4 years now.

Yeah, maybe they are also responsible for the hundreds of failed stock engines as well.

If the OP hadn't have remapped it, Skoda would have replaced the engine. They already replaced one for him. I'm not sure how you can fault Skoda in this. The OP has stated that the replacement engine didn't use a lot of oil. So there is no reason to believe the engine would have failed if he had not had it remapped.

APR took the OPs money and they should stand behind their product too.

Re the Engine and faults.

We have known about the issues from them starting from the Engine going in the SEAT's in 2009,

and the engine being changed in 2012 to the revised one and Engine Management.

Different ECU from the previous Locked ECU.

APR were as aware of the weekness and possible failures, as were REVO and members here getting a remap.

Failure of engines with an APR Stage 1 are rather rare among Members here and others.

Failure with a REVO Stage 1 was quite common on here,

maybe only a handful, but they were documented, then some Posts removed.

Maybe read the thread on Fundamental Design Faults,

and lets not rewrite history now, we know how many Standard Engines were failing,

and the Gamble of doing a remap.

& plenty with Tuning are doing OK.

http://revotechnik.com/support/technical/14tsi-twincharger-engine-issues

Anyone in this section of the forum that owns or considered a Twincharger surely know the issues.

They make the decision to Remap or not on the belief of having a sound engine to start with.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/294051-cave-cthe-14tsi-just-reply-please-if-you-have-had-an-engine-replaced

Edited by goneoffSKi

to me this engine sounds like it may not be broken I'm sure you need to turn the warning lights off with VAG COM?

It was still misfiring after new plugs and coil packs. surley that would have solved it? Or are you saying it needed resetting to be working again?