Vrs engine death.

If the OP hadn't have remapped it, Skoda would have replaced the engine. They already replaced one for him. I'm not sure how you can fault Skoda in this. The OP has stated that the replacement engine didn't use a lot of oil. So there is no reason to believe the engine would have failed if he had not had it remapped.

APR took the OPs money and they should stand behind their product too.

It's out of warrenty. So even if I didn't put a remap on it are u really saying Skoda would change it for free? I know I'm goin to be pushing my luck when I speak to them but I'm not holding much hope up.

If the OP hadn't have remapped it, Skoda would have replaced the engine. They already replaced one for him. I'm not sure how you can fault Skoda in this. The OP has stated that the replacement engine didn't use a lot of oil. So there is no reason to believe the engine would have failed if he had not had it remapped.

APR took the OPs money and they should stand behind their product too.

I didn't blame Skoda on this particular car but on the hundreds of untouched cars that have broken already and will brake in the future. It may also be that the OP's car can get repaired easier than we think. What you're saying would make sense if they're was only one vRS running in the world, the one from vRS-Fletch. It isn't. There have been many stock cars that have failed, a new thread pops up every now and then, and that's just in Briskoda. They usually all have the same symptoms mapped or not. If the extra power was the cause we would have no stock motors failing and at the same time there wouldn't be any Stage 1, 2, 2+, BT, Hybrid, running, but there are quite a few that run much higher power especially outside the UK. How is that possible if remaps are to blame? I mean come on, stage 1 is probably not even past the manufacturer's tolerances. The problem is several engines have left the factory with something very wrong in them and nobody wanted to admit it so that's why we've ended up like this.

Edited by newbie69

A bit late now to bother about the ones that might break.

It is 1,800 CAVE Skoda in the UK and greater than 20% already have an engine replaced once, and some twice.

& then also some of the 1,200 CTHE have Failed, 

then the same in the Seat, VW & Audi which there are about 4,000 of.

Rest of the World have some failures, 

and not only do VW treat owners like Mushrooms, members here were,  I am all right Jack, so stop killing the Value of our cars,

and just happy to get shot and sometimes land others with the Lemons.

"Several Engines",   

Skoda Customer Services UK say

'Do not listen to Briskoda, it is overblown'. 

But even they would not say 'Only Several were badly built'.

Edited by goneoffSKi

I would imagine if the spark plug tip has come off you will more than likely have valve damage and poss piston damage a compression test would more than likely prove this and if not then head would have to come off depending on damage you could just get away with new valves

• Like 1

It could be many things, 

but favourite will be burned out valves, and a broken tip on the spark plug, because that is the common cause.

What Fuel Rail Issues?

thomasaspin,

i have loads of pictures of plugs like that.  Plenty examples in the threads on the forum.

That is the point were the Misfires become bad enough to cause the Exhaust Control System 

light or EPC or both to show and sometimes the Turbo to be shut down and the Engine go into limp mode.

That is often the first warning, because Misfires show under load with Super & Turbo and otherwise there are not enough Misfires in a Cycle to Log.

Catch the failing plug in time, see if the Coil is OK, and some are lucky,  a few have been unlucky.

? What did your Spark Plugs look like when you bought your car, found it was an Oil Burner & when they Replaced them?

thomasaspin,

i have loads of pictures of plugs like that. Plenty examples in the threads on the forum.

That is the point were the Misfires become bad enough to cause the Exhaust Control System

light or EPC or both to show and sometimes the Turbo to be shut down and the Engine go into limp mode.

That is often the first warning, because Misfires show under load with Super & Turbo and otherwise there are not enough Misfires in a Cycle to Log.

Catch the failing plug in time, see if the Coil is OK, and some are lucky, a few have been unlucky.

? What did your Spark Plugs look like when you bought your car, found it was an Oil Burner & when they Replaced them?

Iv had my car since 2012 and these plugs went in 6k when it was mapped and they give it a clean bill of health.

Iv been keeping logs of how much oil it was using and it's been 1 litre per 4k.

Sorry i was asking Thomas about his Spark Plugs after he bought his car and found it was ill.

Sorry poor pictures, but commonly how one plug ends up.

Edited by goneoffSKi

That's right, my bad. Yes I have a set of 7s in since my first change 10,000 km ago. At 7,000 when I last checked in November they looked like this: 

53000_zpsegnyxh7w.jpg

I'll be taking a look before the power is upped again.

• Like 1

<snip> nobody at skoda or their representatives told ANYONE here that there cars WILL use oil and to check it every few hundred miles when they were buying their cars <snip>

ALL cars use oil, some more than others.  As I  understand it, high performance Subarus and Mitsubishis like a drop now and then.

I believe that page 127 of the Skoda Fabia manual says "Check the oil level when refuelling" and "Oil consumption could be as high as 0.5 litres / 1,000 Km". I know that nobody ever RTFM.

newbie69,

They look good.

But then they usually do in Engines that are not having plugs getting oiled.

Yours will be one of the best Stage 1 maps there is by someone that understands the engines.

Edited by goneoffSKi

vxh26,  pleaese look on the oil use etc,   & Owners Manuals.  Page 168 . 

the subject here is not normal oil use,  but the failing engines.

All the time the 'May use as much as'  0.5 litres per 1000km is reffered to,  Depending on Driving Style and Conditions under which you operate the vehicle', 

Towing,Mountain Passes in Summer,  Paraphrase.

That is All engines, 44kw - 132 kw,   3 & 4 Cylinder Petrol & Diesel.   

Checking the Oil every fill up would be between 300 & 400 Miles,

And 0.5 litres would be 1 litre every 3-4 tanks, 1,200 miles. 

And several Litres a year between services.

Not 1 litre every 5-600 miles as rather a lot of the engines that have been replaced in the past

almost 5 years have used with the Skoda, and before that with the Seat Ibiza.

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 1

They look good.

But then they usually do in Engines that are not having plugs getting oiled.

Yours will be one of the best Stage 1 maps there is by someone that understands the engines.

Well actually, as I've written before, the car has been always consistent on its drinking habbits, 1/2 - 1/3 of what is the max acceptable limit. No misfires or other issues and stock plugs lasted 44,000 km without losing a piece (although very dirty). Apart from REVO, I don't think any light remap such as the majority of stage 1 maps was to blame for any of the issues we've seen so I don't know what good it will do the tuner being an expert if a car is destined to fail at some point... I do think that misfires are a warning that should be taken very seriously with these cars, not just turn off, then on, oh it drives fine and be on your way.

Edited by newbie69

They dont all fail, not even 1/2 fail,  its near around 25%,

many are very good strong engines with good components.

Volkswagen must well know which engines have been built with inferior parts, because they know when they were produced,

who supplied which components.

Page 168 of the manual I downloaded from briskoda.net seems to relate to tyres?

You are quite right that the manual refers to "your style of driving and the conditions under which you operate the vehicle". However I don't think that you would get very far by saying that this meant that the warning shouldn't apply to you because you have never towed a horse box across the Alps. I somehow doubt that the 44kw - 132 kw, 3 & 4 cylinder petrol & diesel engines use more oil than the vRS does - nor would I expect them to.

The point I am making is that Skoda make quite clear in the manual (which I accept nobody bothers to read) that you might get through 0.5 litres of oil per 1,000 Km and that you should check your oil "at regular intervals, preferably every time the fuel tank is filled or after driving for long stretches". Pretending otherwise is just plain dishonest.

High oil consumption certainly seems to be an issue with some but not all examples of the Skoda Fabia vRS. I imagine that this is the reason that the CAVE engine was in 2012 replaced by the CTHE which appears to suffer less. I suspect that none of us will ever understand the reasons for this and it doesn't seem unreasonable to assume that there is more than one factor involved. Personally, I am not at all surprised that VAG don't feel inclined to pass on to their competitors any details of their lessons learned, why would they, it doesn't appear to be a critical safety issue.