DRL's feebly dim

Trev2

My Yeti's DRL's look quite feeble compared to almost every other car on the road, and are not the bright white they are, but a sort of yellowish like a 1950's Ford Popular.  Has anyone changed their bulbs, and if so, which ones did you get? TIA.

Edited by Trev2

Search this forum for LED DRL... it has been covered quite a bit. In summary, there are no plug-and-play options to upgrade them to LEDs without getting a bulb failure warning.

• Like 1

I've noticed an increase of late, in the number of cars being driven around with front fogs illuminated (at night), but in otherwise perfect visibility, no hint of fog. Quite distracting it is. Is this because people who's car's do not have DRLs are somehow trying to emulate DRLs by having front fogs on all the time?

I've noticed an increase of late, in the number of cars being driven around with front fogs illuminated (at night), but in otherwise perfect visibility, no hint of fog. Quite distracting it is. Is this because people who's car's do not have DRLs are somehow trying to emulate DRLs by having front fogs on all the time?

They are called 'Aussies'' unfortunately. (proud of their latest toy)

There is such a think as 'light pollution' and on the road it's tiring and dangerous but our cops don't seem to care.

Strangely, I thought euro cars couldn't have fog and low beam on at the same time........

They are called 'Aussies'' unfortunately. (proud of their latest toy)

There is such a think as 'light pollution' and on the road it's tiring and dangerous but our cops don't seem to care.

Strangely, I thought euro cars couldn't have fog and low beam on at the same time........

Dear Ryeman, please don't tar all who live in our wide brown land with the same brush. 

[RANT_ON/]

Yes and it's bloody annoying and in some cases, downright dangerous to other road users.

My other car is a Smart Roadster. It is one of the lowest cars on the road. When other idiots drive toward me with their foglamps on these lights shine directly into my face. In wet conditions the dazzle effect is even worse.

I find myself continually flashing and waving at these morons who drive along with their front fogs on and they just don't get it.

I have even spoken to people at garage forecourts about this - conversation usually goes as follows:

ME: "Excuse me sir, you may not realise but you're driving along with your front foglamps on"

THEM: "Yes I know - so what of it?"

ME: "Well there doesn't seem to be any fog around?"

THEM: "I don't care - it helps me see better"

ME: "If you need your fogs on to see better then either your headlamps are defective or you need glasses - do you realise how dangerous it is to other road users, especially drivers of low vehicles to dazzle them with your lights?"

THEM - Some obnoxious reply.

Had a similar conversation about 5 or 6 times now. Occasionally you find someone who genuinely doesn't know they're on. Usually they have no idea where the switch is in the dash.(RTFM!!!!)

I do wish police would do something about it.

In my book it should be punishable under "Driving without due care & attention" - as if the driver either hasn't noticed they have these lights on, or hasn't noticed that the visibility ISN'T actually that bad but still has the lights on, then surely that means they're not "driving with due care and attention" doesn't it?

[\RANT_OFF]

• Like 2

In my book it should be punishable under "Driving without due care & attention" - as if the driver either hasn't noticed they have these lights on, or hasn't noticed that the visibility ISN'T actually that bad but still has the lights on, then surely that means they're not "driving with due care and attention" doesn't it?

There's no need to resort to a convoluted argument to try to justify why it should be illegal - it's already a specific offence under section 27 of the Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989.

I do wish police would do something about it.

They do.  Sometimes.  But not frequently enough IMO.

The worst offenders are those who drive around at night on sidelights and fog lights but no headlights.  Apart from the fact that fog lights are not an adequate substitute for headlights, there is simply no circumstance under which that is a legal combination.  If it actually was foggy enough for the use of fog lights to be legal, it would be illegal not to have dipped headlights on as well!

The worst offenders are those who drive around at night on sidelights and fog lights but no headlights.  Apart from the fact that fog lights are not an adequate substitute for headlights, there is simply no circumstance under which that is a legal combination.  If it actually was foggy enough for the use of fog lights to be legal, it would be illegal not to have dipped headlights on as well!

Really?

I don't think it says that in the Vehicle Lighting Regulations.

• Like 1

• MultiQuote

If it actually was foggy enough for the use of fog lights to be legal, it would be illegal not to have dipped headlights on as well!

Really?

I don't think it says that in the Vehicle Lighting Regulations.

Graham probably knows how to use them.

For those who dont know what fog lights are for and don't know how to use them correctly..

•  

• The fog lights are at a low level so they show the way under the fog without the glare that headlights a bit higher produce.

Therefore to operate foglights effectivly they should only be used in seriously reduced visibility and without headlights so they can do the job of seeing under the fog without the glare, not for posing as most seem to use them for.

• Like 4

Got to agree with all of the above; lighting offenses - grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :devil:

Just while we're on pet hates, it seems there is a competition to make DRLs as bright as fog lights :devil: Citroen, Mercedes, Audis etc seem to be absolutely blinding and distracting, achieving quiet the opposite result the dubious EU legislation was trying to attain. After all, we're not a Nordic state with reduced daylight hours - but hey ho :x

Pre FL yeti DRLs are not pathetic, just a nice cosy glow to add a warning to those who seem to have difficulty seeing your vehicle.

LED lights in rear number plate lighting is another fashion faux pas. The blue tint on the LED clashes with the orange/yellow reflective number plate and gives reduced visibility to the numbers and letters. The "filament orange" glow compliments the plate's colour and make the letters much more readable from a distance.

I could go on, but I'm in a minority as it seems most are blinded by the need to keep up with fashion trends to the disadvantage of folk coming the other way. The days of flashing your lights in disapproval is not legal, and would I'm sure result in road rage incidents. 

I'm really not trying to start a "discussion" on the merits of HID/LED/DRL lights etc, just pointing out there are two sides of the coin here. What started out as a minor good idea has blossomed into light wars.

Could it be a case that many of the fog light offenders are actually driving lights not fog lights after all? Just that many cars have combined fog and driving lights who would be able to differentiate when a cars passes at warp five?

If they are really low there fogs and I take it you mean driving lights are high beam so we should not be seeing them either.

Could it be a case that many of the fog light offenders are actually driving lights not fog lights after all? Just that many cars have combined fog and driving lights who would be able to differentiate when a cars passes at warp five?

No, because the Law is quite specific.

Fog lights can be illuminated with the side, head and main beam lights.

Driving lights can ONLY be illuminated with MAIN beam, and must switch off automatically when the main beam lights are dipped.

There are also height regulations that apply, and Driving lights cannot be mounted that low.

All specified in The Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations 1989.

If you have conditions of reduced visibility you should have your dipped headlamps on and if you wish you can then illuminate your fog lamps if fitted. So the dipped headlamp condition should be fulfilled first in fog--- they are not there just for the benefit of the driver, but also to make your vehicle more visible to other road users, in particular pedestrians and cyclists come to mind.

To my mind the people who use their fog lights in good visibility deserve the ticket they should get, especially if they are driving only on[ obligatory]side lights  as well

• Like 1

This is the misunderstanding that many offenders labour under. "They're driving lights so it is OK". No they are not, so no it is not. Try telling them that without getting abuse though.

There are very few cars that come fitted with driving lights as standard or optional. The last car I had that had genuine driving lights fitted as standard was a 1989 Peugeot 205 XS (mounted under the bumper).

Inappropriate use of fog lights, tailgating, failure to keep left........one could go on.......the police don't see to care from my experience, at least out here.

Then when talking about lights, my pet hate is people not indicating approaching roundabouts.

Also not indicating when lane changing on motorways. OK, it is not a legal requirement to indicate when pulling in after an overtake, but I always do, the more people that are aware of what cars are doing the better.

Now what do the Police do about it....

Nothing... they are often the greatest offenders unless they have the blues and twos on.

I wish I had saved footage from my onboard camera.

• The fog lights are at a low level so they show the way under the fog without the glare that headlights a bit higher produce.

Therefore to operate foglights effectivly they should only be used in seriously reduced visibility and without headlights so they can do the job of seeing under the fog without the glare, <...>

That's a valid point. I guess that's why the Vienna Convention on Road Traffic states:

4. Fog lamps may be lit only in thick fog, falling snow, heavy rain or similar

conditions and, as regards front fog lamps, as a substitute for passing lamps*.

Domestic legislation may authorize the simultaneous use of front fog lamps and

passing lamps and the use of front fog lamps on narrow, winding roads.

Strangely, but the UK Highway Code seems to contradict this.

You MUST

ensure all sidelights and rear registration plate lights are lit between sunset and sunrise

use headlights at night, except on a road which has lit street lighting. These roads are generally restricted to a speed limit of 30 mph (48 km/h) unless otherwise specified

use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced (see Rule 226).

Night (the hours of darkness) is defined as the period between half an hour after sunset and half an hour before sunrise).

You MUST use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced, generally when you cannot see for more than 100 metres (328 feet). You may also use front or rear fog lights but you MUST switch them off when visibility improves (see Rule 236). Law RVLR regs 25 & 27

* As far as I understand, by "passing lamps" they mean dipped headlights.