DRL's feebly dim

Trev2

Indeed, looks like the Regulation 25 permits using fog lights without headlights. But that doesn't explain why the Highway Code is written the way it is written... Maybe different parts of the UK have different regulations?

No, different parts of the UK do not have different driving regulations. 

As I said the Highway Code is only advisory, and in general it is better to have both the fog and headlights on, except in very thick fog.

• Like 1

The Highway Code is an advisory document and is not a legal statement.

Except that, in the Introduction to the Highway Code it clearly states:

Many of the rules in The Highway Code are legal requirements, and if you disobey these rules you are committing a criminal offence. ...  Such rules are identified by the use of the words ‘MUST/MUST NOT’

Rule 226 then states that: "You MUST use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced" ie that it is a criminal offence not to do so - with no exceptions listed.

I agree that in this instance the Highway Code does not appear accurately to reflect the law: specifically, the exception granted in RVLR regulation 25 paragraph(2)(B)(ii) which does allow the use of fog lamps without headlights in seriously reduced visibility.

Perhaps someone should point out this error to whoever is responsible for the content of Highway Code.  (Is that the DfT or the DVSA?  I assume the latter but it's not immediately clear from perusing the Highway Code online, or the printed version.)

The Highway Code is in itself not the Legal Document, but a "link" to the particular Law, in that case part of "The Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations, 1989" and to which I linked in post #25.

If there was a prosecution they would site that Law and not the Highway Code.

But, about 3 yrs ago I was stopped miidway 'tween Great Witley and Tenbury for driving with h/lights and fogs ablaze in clear conditions by a plod attending an rta to be told I was breaking the law as no fog about, SWITCH 'EM OFF PLEASE, sir!!

• Like 3

The Highway Code is in itself not the Legal Document, but a "link" to the particular Law

I'm well aware of that.  What I was pointing out was that the interpretation that the Highway Code puts on the law that it links to in rule 226 is actually incorrect.  Most drivers who are at all concerned about the rules will never get beyond the Highway Code as their source.  I'd put money on fewer than 1% of drivers in the UK having read any part of the Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations.

At the end of the day, if you do obey rule 226 then you won't be in breach of the law, since its interpretation of the law is more restrictive than the actual RVLR.  On the other hand, if you do drive around on just sidelights and fogs when visibility is not seriously reduced, then you are breaking both rule 226 and the actual law - the latter breach being a punishable offence.

But, about 3 yrs ago I was stopped miidway 'tween Great Witley and Tenbury for driving with h/lights and fogs ablaze in clear conditions by a plod attending an rta to be told I was breaking the law as no fog about, SWITCH 'EM OFF PLEASE, sir!!

Which, in the case of the fog lights, was correct.  (AFAICS there's nothing in the RVLR to say you can't have dipped beam headlights on all the time, if you want to.  They must be correctly adjusted, of course - even if they're not lit, per regulation 18 paragraph (1)(B)).

(AFAICS there's nothing in the RVLR to say you can't have dipped beam headlights on all the time, if you want to.  They must be correctly adjusted, of course - even if they're not lit, per regulation 18 paragraph (1)( B)).

Correct, my motorcycle has dipped beam on all the time it's running so when I do track days where headlights are not allowed I have to dissconnect the bulb.

No, because the Law is quite specific.

Fog lights can be illuminated with the side, head and main beam lights.

Driving lights can ONLY be illuminated with MAIN beam, and must switch off automatically when the main beam lights are dipped.

There are also height regulations that apply, and Driving lights cannot be mounted that low.

All specified in The Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations 1989.

OK, when I said driving lights I meant DRL's.

Many DRL's are ultra bright and are low down hence looking that they could be fogs as in a similar position

Just to come back to the thread title (nearly :devil: ) the latest DRLs on the Bi Xenon's are I think just right. So many cars especially Audi are too bright even in full light.

• Like 2

The Highway Code is in itself not the Legal Document, but a "link" to the particular Law, in that case part of "The Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations, 1989" and to which I linked in post #25.

If there was a prosecution they would site that Law and not the Highway Code.

Not necessarily.  I work part-time as a Schools Adjudicator and when dealing with objections concerning school admission arrangements, for example, I have regard not only to primary legislation but also to the current Admissions Code, which itself makes requirements that may or may not be enshrined in legislation.  Decisions I and colleagues take based on the Code, however, are legally binding and can only be challenged by judicial review in the High Court.  I suspect the Highway Code would come into the same category.

...and if you had to have headlights on at the same time as fog lights by law then why would car manufacturers make it possible to turn the fogs on when the switch is in the sidelight position? Surely it would be enshrined in the C & U regs that that would not be possible.

Ian

Then there are those rear fog lights on old Hyundais which, thankfully, I rarely see these days.......I used to think of an ice pick........

Cornering fog lights still make me think.

These obviously illuminate when it's not foggy, but are legal I assume or the manufacturers wouldn't fit them?

Is there a mention of them in the legislation?

Many laws contradict each other, or must be read along with another law.

Years ago, Fog lights had to be mounted below 18 inches to be deemed as fog lights.

Headlights and spot lights had to be above 18 inches.

Driving with either front and/or rear fog lights on in clear driving conditions could/can cause dazzle to other road users and therefore can incur a fine and/or a court appearance where fines of up to £1000 can be applied to the driver of said vehicle.

There are regulations and police/court interpretations of 'foggy or driving snow' conditions that allow the use of fog lights.

It all comes down to the lack of traffic police officers. Enough said.

• Like 1