Newmarket Garage (Bannockburn) - Bannockburn

DGW

Originally posted by johnsvrs - Wed May 19, 2004

Had a civic Vti 1.6 3dr previously which was a quick little car with a fantastic engine and gearbox .The fabia vrs is quicker than the civic and much more economical . The car has to be "The" performance bargain

Originally posted by rossm - Mon Dec 6, 2004

Overall pleased with the whole buying and aftercare. Got a good deal on trade-in. New car come with a minor faulty part from the factory and was repaired no problem. Booking in for servicing is easy, no problems getting a courtesy car, prices arent too expensive. The only things concerning are the two times my cars visited their workshop. Fist time a screw lying in behind steering column, only discovered as the steering column was adjusted. Second time at oil change, someone had trouble getting it in the hole, had to clean up oil slick around the hole myself. Compared to other dealerships I've used in the past, these are minor things and overall I'm fairly well satisfied with everything!

• 3 months later...

Cannot pick a single fault, but not only that i have to give them praise for going that extra country mile.

Dropped in for some minor warranty work and was overjoyed to recieve an octy2 courtesy car and a firm date and time of completion, which was met.

I was advised of some more work that should be carried out on my car under warranty and the car was booked in a week later, again first class, courtesy car ready and firm pickup time agreed.

The friendly, understanding and helpful staff at the garage met my every need (And they even make you a coffee :rofl:) and when I came back to pick up my car it was spotlessly valeted.

I would reccomend this garage time and time again and will take my car there for any Skoda work required.

• 8 months later...

Avoid at all costs!

Sales side of thing very good helpful. (Though when we went to buy the car they had already sold it without any indication that someone else was interested!)

Then when the car needed some work done under warranty (EML and also paintwork) the service could not have been worse. To get the paint sorted out took months when according to another garage it should only take around two weeks. They say they will phone you when the car is ready to be picked up or a part is ready for you to go in to pick up or so you can arrange to get it booked in and they dont.

The aftersales service is so bad that despite it being my local Skoda dealer I travel to West End garage (near Edinburgh) to get any work done because they are just so much better.

The service has been bad on several occasions so it wasnt just a bad day. I would say avoid at all costs.

• Like 1

I've been reluctant to post this up as I'm not really into slating but I have had pretty poor service from them TBH.

1. Was told when I bought the car service intervals were every 10,000 miles. If it had not been for Briskoda I would not have known about variable servicing. Thought this was pretty poor.

2. The mooing brakes. Had to do the chasing myself through Skoda UK who organised them to carry out rectification work. The first time it went in to get looked at they power washed the back discs and told me "it's OK now", hardly surprising with soaking wet brakes.

3. Decided to get the silver carpet changed for an anthracite one. Went to collect the car and found virtually every interior panel scratched. They agreed to rectify but damaged the glovebox lock trying to change it over to the new lid. This happened in May, I'm still waiting for the phone call to tell me the new lock is in. I refuse out of principle to phone them.

Also drove out of the garage and the accelerator pedal stuck due to incorrect fitting of the carpet around the pedal area. Very brown pants moment that.

They didn't fit the posts for the mats either.

4. Phoned to book car in because the passenger seat was sqeaking when someone was sitting in it. The receptionist suggested not carrying passengers.

This may well have been tongue in cheek, but there ain't no smillies on a phone.

5. Any time I have seen the wokshop foreman drive a customers car, he rags the **** off it.

So, no, I wouldn't recommend them to anyone, the cars due it's first service soon and I think I will use Star Performance rather than a main dealer even though they're 45 miles from me.

Neil

• Like 1

I used them after a very bad experience at West End Garage in Broxburn and needed a 40,000 mile service and cam-belt change.

Courtesy car organised straight away and service couldn't have been better.

Car was washed for me picking it up and bill was £178 less than West end wanted for the same work.

Cannot recommend them enough!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Despite this being my second post on the subject of Newmarket but like neelyp I'm not really into slating. However the service I had from them has been extremly poor.

With regard to the paint job mentioned in my previous post I was like neelyp told they would phone me when Skoda had authorised it, however unlike neelyp I did keep chasing them up by phone and by visiting them in person and was always fobbed off "it takes some time dont worry we will phone you when it was ready."

After learning from another garage that it should only have taken 2 weeks for authorization and not the months it was taking with Newmarket that I next went in to ask for the date of my initial request & any reference number (so that I could personally chase it up with Skoda UK) they suddenly said what do you want that for? Its been authorised we can book it in now for you. When I had received no phone call (I have voicemail & an answering machine so not simply a case of a missed call!).

So when later when it came to dealing with my key fob (discovered it was broken in June) and after initially denying that it was covered by warranty they reluctanly agreed to order a new fob in for me and that they would phone me! This time like neelyp (after one follow up phonecall) I decided out of principle not to phone them. At the end of October I decided to phone Skoda UK to find out what was going on, only to be informed that they had heard nothing from Newmarket at all! I went to West End garage (over 30 miles away) and they sorted it out in a week! (Also West End actually phone you!!)

Newmarket are now saying to UK that they have no record of any request!

Like neelyp I have also found the receptionist not to be very helpful or customer orientated.

I have only had experience with West End & Newmarket.

I have found that West End tend to bend over backwards in order to satisfy the customer and at reasonable prices (in my experience cheaper than Newmarket). In one case (another customer not me) not simply accepting that something wasnt covered by warranty but really arguing the point that according to his & the customer's interpretation that the particular fault would appear to be covered.

Newmarket on the other hand cant even be bothered to lift a phone and call you when they say they will and the service just gets worse from there on in! What more can I say.

I simply can not reccommend them at all!

And as previously stated would say AVOID AT ALL COSTS!

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

i can't grumble with them at all. Had them do my 20k on Good Friday and the car was ready 2 hours later as agreed and I even got a lift back to the house to save me £££ on a taxi. Car was washed on pickup and was charged £40 less than i was "quoted" by Queensborough. Couldn't complain at all

• 4 weeks later...

Went down to test drive a vRS, took an age to get the car out. Salesman was ok at that but I thought I could get a better deal elsewhere and I did and bought at Thomson and Potter.

Got a follow up phone call later and told the sales chap that his max offer (which he was clear he wouldn't go beyond) was beaten and I'd bought elsewhere. He was quite rude on the phone then hung up.

Nice way to burn bridges for future custom.

• 3 months later...

i should have known better

a leopard never changes its spots:mad:

they had a bad reputation when i was young and I'm sad to say it hasn't changed

i was lied to by the salesman and NEVER received one phone call back from them

(also waited three weeks to pick up my car due to "the dvla" :confused: )

but now that Ive toped up the oil and replaced the rear disks and pads bled the brakes i now have a nice furby vrs

i will not set foot in that establishment again :mad: not even for the free mot i was promised

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Just bought a Vrs from this garage and I can only describe the experience as faultless. They gave me a reasonable price for my Mondeo and were very helpful when arranging the transfer of my Private plate. The previous comments have probably been viewed by the staff and lessons learnt.

Excellent garage, they have my future custom assured.

• 1 month later...

I have dealt with this dealer for years (as far back as when they traded out of Wallace Street in Stirling) and have never had problems. I myself recently bought a Superb and only last week the wife became the proud owner of a Roomster. Both purchases were spot on and without any glitch whatsoever. In dealing with this garage, all i can say is that if you ever need a dealership that is second to none then this is the place to go.

Keep up the good work Newmarket.:thumbup:

• 1 month later...

Just had 20k service done today. Courtesy car arranged easily. Repaired broken drop link on warranty, balanced all four wheels for me. £200 all in. Car was spotless when I picked it up. And there was a full bottle of vag screenwash in the boot.

I cant see me using any other garage whilst I have this car. Receptionist very chatty as well (she has a vrs se !!).

Recommended,,,, btw i dont work here !!

I'd never use them again.

Very bad experience.

Had my car in Twice, both times for warranty work.

1. Didnt set my clock sfter the battery was off.

2. Took them far too long to do the repair. I would have been faster doing it.

3. Had to keep phoning to see what was happning, didnt get in touch with me.

4. Took my car in on the Wednesday after arraning over phone. Got there and they sayed, we have no time to look at it, bring it back on Friday! IT HAD A BAD GEARBOX FAULT!

5. Never asked if i wanted a courtesy car.

6. Car not washed on BOTH occasions.

7. Tried to get parts a few times, Parts man not there!

8. Was in for a gearbox fault the first time, they sayed the gearbox had been out before. I got in contact with the dealer i bought it off. They had never had it out and that was the customers local garage and took it there for servicing etc, why would anyone else have it out? Got my car back after about 1 week. Wasnt right after that, very notchy gear change. 2 weeks later "BANG" no 4th or 6th gear.

They hadnt fixed it correctly. With VW, SEAT and AUDI, if there is an internal fault in the gearbox they will replace the full thing. Why didnt this Skoda garage do the same?

9. Treated as, i felt "A little boy" and insignifficant. (SP?)

10. Went in with my VW overalls on and, i felt again, that this seemed to be a problem.

11. Didnt explain properly what was done, as receptionest wasnt there when i picked the car up.

12. Found out that i went to crail and put my car on the 1/4mile and sayed they were not going to work on the car again! Good!

TERRIBLE PLACE!!!!!!! Waste of space, aftersales is shocking!

This happened a good 4/5 months ago now and im just voicing my oppinion, and slating them to the maximum!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Just found this section of the forum my experience with them is over a year old now but from it I have to comment on the sales staff. Nice enough but laughably poor old school sales technique. Tried the old I'm your mate I will haggle with my sales manager routine followed off with a bit of high pressure rare car etc may be able to get one for you if you sign now....I am really miserable on haggling prices and had been to every Skoda dealer in central scotland.

Edited by DGW
Irrelevant comment about another dealer deleted.

• 7 months later...

Hi There, I was lucky enough to take delivery today of my new Octavia. This is a company car and I first visited Newmarket in January to check out the size and spec etc and to get an idea of what service I would recieve. I can only say that being told that there is one outside and then not even being offered the keys to open it didn't impress.

I need a dog guard and boot liner for this car, so I visited again last Saturday. The salesman quite obruptly told me that the parts dept isn't open on a Sat, the phone rang and he just left me standing there. Once he'd finished I pointed out that the sign outside said they were open on Sat, only to be told that it should have been removed. Undetered I told the sales man what I was looking for handed him a business card and asked him to contact me with a price, no problem he said. Guess what, they didn't bother.:eek:

Today I went back in, only because I was passing, I went to the parts dept, eventually a receptionist came out and I told her what I was looking for. She walked off to the brochure stand :confused: (something I could have done myself) but couldn't find the accessories brochure. During this time a sales manager came in and pointed out my new car (40 miles on the clock) to the salesman I'd spoke to last week. He walked over and the receptionist asked him where the prices were kept, he replied he had them on the computer and could give me a FITTED price. :rolleyes: While he was looking I mentioned, I'd been in before and had asked to be called back only for it to be shrugged off. The manager then pipes up that he'll have to look up the internet, again I could have done that and have. Told them both not to bother I'll go elsewhere and left.

My car is supplied by the biggest fleet managment company in the UK, when servicing and repairs are required they issue an order number straight away and pay the bill on time. Some would say this is money for old rope, so why turn it away.

I will not be putting my car into this dealership or using them for any parts etc that I have to pay for. The service I recieved was not only rude, but downright disgusting. My job by the way includes teaching customer services, one thing I do know is this,

"A satisfied customer will tell one or two people about the service, a dissatisfied customer will tell twenty two people":(

I will count this forum as one person, take my advice stay well clear.

:thumbdwn::thumbdwn::thumbdwn::thumbdwn:

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Had my car MOT'd there again yesterday, good quick friendly service again, Mastertech is very knowlegable and helpful, takes the time to come out and have a chat about the car after the MOT.

• 11 months later...

Wow, A year since the last post in here, and it was me again :rofl:

Back in yesterday for yet another MOT, same level of service achieved, Salesman let me loose on the new Fabia vRS for a bit, what a nice car, really not what I was expecting! Anyway thats for a different thread. But Bannockburn have a demo in stock if you want to see on in the the flesh.

Great service again!

• 8 months later...
  • 10 months later...