Power steering failure?

topcat203

Hi There

I have just had the power steering fail on my 13 plate Toledo 1.2tsi had a very hard work drive home (like stepping back in time) I phoned the dealer and the first question they asked was has it come back! so I went and switched on the engine again and sure enough the power steering was working again. The service receptionist said that they had another case last week and not been able to trace a fault which is worrying! - my question is the obvious really is this a common problem I have not seen it mentioned anywhere else in this forum. Any suggestions would be most welcome.

I am taking the car to the dealer later today for a check up will keep you informed of results.

Cheers

This sounds like an electronics failure rather than a hydraulics or PAS motor problem to me. That's basic software engineering; any problem that goes away when you turn something off and on is software or wiring.

Ask the dealer to check the values in the PAS block in the EMS, and to do continuity tests on the steering angle sensor and PAS motor wiring.

This sounds like an electronics failure rather than a hydraulics or PAS motor problem to me. That's basic software engineering; any problem that goes away when you turn something off and on is software or wiring.

Ask the dealer to check the values in the PAS block in the EMS, and to do continuity tests on the steering angle sensor and PAS motor wiring.

I saw your reply to late to ask those questions -  but when the dealer checked it out they found a fault code which they said they were waiting for a reply from Seat about! I would have thought that info would have been listed on thier system or am I missing something!

It turns out that the other occurence mentioned was on an Ibiza (same PAS system I guess)

Edited by topcat203

I saw your reply to late to ask those questions -  but when the dealer checked it out they found a fault code which they said they were waiting for a reply from Seat about! I would have thought that info would have been listed on thier system or am I missing something!

It turns out that the other occurence mentioned was on an Ibiza (same PAS system I guess)

I'd have expected them to have a resource that lets them look up every fault code the car can throw. Still, now you can point out that "some guy on the internet" correctly predicted that there would be a fault code before you spoke to them yesterday.

Spoke to the dealer today and he tells me that the Error code was vag 0047 he described it as an overvoltage to the PAS pump which caused it to stop working (tripped it out) apparently Seat uk can't see a problem!! They are waiting for a reply from the factory as to further diagnostic actions. I will update when I hear more from them.

Update on the situation with the PAS - I am just back from the dealer and after further diagnostics and on VAG advice they have changed the Earth lead battery strap and connected control unit and reprogrammed it. Apparently the control unit looks after the Stop/Start but also feeds the PAS in some fashion!

So hopefully thats a fix!!

• 1 month later...

Drove our new rapid speed back home from the showroom drove for 44 miles then the power steering light came on the dash and the steering became very heavy. Had to be towed away to a local skoda dealership it's been with them for the last 8 days, no change still having problems.

Update had been done on the car in jan/February. Just wondering if anyone else has had the same problem.

• 3 years later...
On 19/05/2015 at 19:14, Rbax107 said:

Drove our new rapid speed back home from the showroom drove for 44 miles then the power steering light came on the dash and the steering became very heavy. Had to be towed away to a local skoda dealership it's been with them for the last 8 days, no change still having problems.

Update had been done on the car in jan/February. Just wondering if anyone else has had the same problem.

yes my 5 year old skoda rapid has the same fault when i take it out after 5 days the power stering goes to dangerious to drive had it in mervyn stewarts in belfast they charged me £100    still the same problem it is easey to do the job right as it is to do wrong if u know wat u are doing will bring it back on monday anay help wat i should do