Front Passengers Door Sucked Shut

Hi there Peeps,

my Central locking on my 2005 Fabia Estate has been playing up and now my front passenger door wont open at all.

When i pull the lever on the inside, the pin comes up but goes back down when i leave the lever.

i've tried holding the pin and i can feel the pressure pulling it back. The lock doesn't disengage.

It started with the door intermittently locking or not locking. I'd then have to manually press the pin in and all the doors would then lock.

To open the door, simply pull the lever and the pin pops up and viola, the door opens. It is now not working at all.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance

+1 on a knackered door micro switch. Mine is on it's it's way out, has been for a while. Same symptoms as you, currently at the often won't lock stage, so have to manually push the pin down. How long did yours last after you had to start pushing the pin down?

On my list to change, just not looking forward to it.

Those cheap new mechs on ebay are very good for the price - just take care when plugging the harness on the door carrier into the new mech as the pins are a little large for it - just use a very tiny screw driver to open up the slots a bit more and expect to use a quite a bit of pressure to connect it. (if that makes sense!). Expect half a day also to do this job its a real pain! If door does get stuck shut then expect some tears along the way................it can be opened by forcing out the lock barrel (or fake plastic barrel) from outside then using car thief techniques to get it open (i do not know any before anyone asks!). 

Thanks will try this shortly.

Called Citygate Skoda in Watford and they reckon it is the door lock/actuator....

They said it would prob be in the region of £250 - £300 to fix.

I also have to get the boot fixed, similar issue, i have to sort out a rear wheel bearing and also the bushes on the front suspension.... 

If you get the lock working manually with the battery off, then one temporary option is just pull the electrical connector off the lock (its a bit arkward to get to and unlatch the connector to pull off iirc).

I changed the electrically operated boot lock/latch on my daughter's Fabia mk2 after it bust and would not latch closed. THe part was £29 (dealer) and it took me around 5 minutes to change although I also did buy a set of torx allen keys from toolstation for about £6. Most of the time was popping off/replacing boot card. THe actual latch was held in by 3 bolts and took seconds to change.

Update:

i have tried removing the fuse for the central locking and that didn't make any difference.

i have also tried disconnecting the battery - no luck. The locking mechanism still will not disengage. The Vacuum pressure still there.

I have tried banging both inside and outside where the door lock/mechanism is located, but no luck. 

i have researched online and there are many videos on how to fix the lock itself (its prob the microswitch), get the door panel off etc, but these all assume that you can open the door.

I have managed to take off and disconnect part of the door handle inside including window switch, but thats all i can do.

I have also removed the door lock (part where you'd have put the Key) on the outside and tried to pull on the cable to open the door and that made no difference.

I called Preston Motors in London and the cost of a new locking mechanism is £139.75 +VAT. They were not able to tell me if this one has 8 pins.....

I found some on ebay but they said that their units had eight pins. I cant get to mine currently so dont know which to get.....

Also as mentioned previously, my boot wont open. Now when the mechanic tested it he said that there was a short. (He was probing the bottom lock.) He said that its a prob a new solenoid required. When i called Skoda they said that there are two parts, one is on the boot itself which lifts up, so call that up. One is on the boot floor, just above the bumper, call that bottom. Which one do i have to get replaced? Top, Bottom or both? Where is the boot solenoid?  

My Fabia is a 2005, 1.4 16V Estate 100BHP, Reg KE05EBP.

thanks for any assistance.

Pedro

Reference the ns door have you tried locking and unlocking from the switch inside the car with a 2nd person while you try the door and also banging on the lock area. This usually works for me. Your door lock module has gone into safe mode (deadlock). If that does not work you have 2 options door card removal and regulator which is a real pain in the A. The other is car thief mode. I know the car thief way but I will not be sharing this info on here. Where abouts are you?

• Like 1

Reference the ns door have you tried locking and unlocking from the switch inside the car with a 2nd person while you try the door and also banging on the lock area. This usually works for me. Your door lock module has gone into safe mode (deadlock). If that does not work you have 2 options door card removal and regulator which is a real pain in the A. The other is car thief mode. I know the car thief way but I will not be sharing this info on here. Where abouts are you?

Hi there,

you have a PM

thanks

Pedro

Reference boot lock.

IIRC if you go into the boot by putting down the rear passenger seat, you should see an orange plastic lever next to latch. I believe this is the manual override you push to the side to unlatch.

If the latch is similar to the mk2, then remove the boot card (give it a good tug away from the tailgate) and you'll see the latch is held by 3 bolts (torx). An electrical plug is unplugged from the top of the latch.

• Like 1

Thanks Xman and also to Fabrel.

I have been using the manual method for over a year now. 

I will have to get a new boot latch. Hopefully that will put an end to my boot woes.

I am going to have to spend a little time with the front passenger door as this doesn't open which is just not practical.

Will this mean that i'm going to have to sacrifice my door card?

thanks again

Pedro

Edited by ColinD

• 2 weeks later...

It is most frustrating....

i have managed to fix my boot opening issue. It required a new (solenoid/actuator) i think...

It was the little part that pops it open. It said Hella, Germany on it.

Now still to sort out that pesky door.

thanks

Pedro

To get any further you'd either have to "trash" and replace the passenger side door card to get access to the door interior. Or you'd gain access for tools to remove the screws and clips holding the door card on and remove it. To me, the latter implies removing the passenger seat.

Thanks Vindaloo, i am a glorified, unpaid taxi driver at the moment....

hopefully i can find a fix whilst the sun is shining.

Isnt getting the seat out tricky when you can access it from the passenger side?

Has anyone heard or know about the 'final' check or something like that, basically plug car into computer, run this and as it has something to do with crash detection (airbag etc) it might be used to uncheck all of the doors at once.

I read it somewhere but cant remember where!

Thanks Vindaloo, i am a glorified, unpaid taxi driver at the moment....

hopefully i can find a fix whilst the sun is shining.

Isnt getting the seat out tricky when you can access it from the passenger side?

May be tricky, but should be fairly straightforward as the seat's only held in by 4 m10 spline bolts- which can be accessed by sliding the seat all the way forward to get to the rear 2 and vice versa for the front 2. Then you will be able to manoeuvre the seat out the rear passenger door, or through the boot if you wish (obviously need to remove/lower rear seats then).