1.8TSI engine - excessively high oil consumption

ginandtonic

Hi,

This seems to be a recurring problem and has just bit me -- I've found a couple of other threads on the Octavia & Superb forums here complaining about this.  Also many, many complaints on Audi forums about this problem with the 1.8 engine.

Basically, my 2010 1.8TSI is on 75,000 miles and oil consumption has just been steadily rising over the past few months. I'm now checking the level every morning because I'm so paranoid about it, and having to top up about once a week. Generally in a weeks commute (about 100-ish miles) the level seems to fall from the "max" level on the dipstick to about halfway.

Initially I had thought it might be turbo problems, but the dealer has come back to me (car is currently with them for investigation) and said there is a technical advisory from Skoda regarding the piston rings. The dealer is recommending replacing piston rings, con-rods, timing chain and tensioner.  Sounds like almost a full engine rebuild!!   They have said there may be some contribution from Skoda since it appears to be "a known problem", so I'll wait and see what the final bill is likely to be before deciding whether or not to go ahead, or just trade it in. 

I suppose it will mean I'll have an essentially "new" engine - and the rest of the car is in otherwise very good condition - but I'm still more than a little ****ed off. 

David,

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/343626-radio-4-feature-audi-tfsi-engines

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/348178-audi-oil-consumption-lawsuit

It is the Volkswagen Group Engine design, Manufacturing, quality control & customer services issue that no longer is being swept under tghe carpet.

VW group tried to avoid bad publicity by ignoring potentially dangerous issues and only a coroner's findings relating to a freeway death resulted in a complete change of attitude from VAG toward its Australian customers.

I thought high oil consumption was a well known VAG fault and was addressed as a matter of course......seems not......

http://abc.net.au/news/2014-08-21/family-wins-review-of-vw-golf-crash-death-inquest/5686876

That Australian Case of 'Sudden Power Loss of the engines' is not over for Volkswagen, so more to come there. 

That was so sad. 

But that is just a small part of the Volkswagen Group World Wide and the 3 Monkeys attitude.

The odd thing with the whole 'German superiority' thing is that VAG have had engine/gearbox issues for decades - from pre DSG gearbox failures to engine failures as well as high oil consumption problems .......unheard of in a Honda frinstance.......and journos just keep on looking the other way even when it's stranded them in one of the press fleet.

It seems like status is a form of preservation.

I thought high oil consumption was a well known VAG fault and was addressed as a matter of course......seems not......

It was addressed circa autumn 2011. VAG changed construction of pistons and piston rings at least twice. Unfortunately, engines produced in 2010 don't have those modifications.

And many other TSI / TFSI engines in various engine capacities Volkswagen built since 2011 have not had all Design, Manufacturing,

Parts quality control & engine management failures addressed.

VORSPRUNG DURCH TECHNIK =  Engineering by spin and media.

Where the Governments or Legal Systems challenge us, react quickly,

but lets just pretend there is nothing to see here, move along now.

• Like 1

Honda, a once exciting manufacturer, never seemed to have had engine problem even with their high revving 100+hp/L ones and, come to think of it, I can't think of ANY engine manufacturer with a record of failures equal to the sub par VAG record.

Honda, a once exciting manufacturer, never seemed to have had engine problem even with their high revving 100+hp/L ones and, come to think of it, I can't think of ANY engine manufacturer with a record of failures equal to the sub par VAG record.

Really?

Try Rover, MG and LR with the 1.8 petrol engine and it's dodgy headgasket.

And I am sure there are plenty of others.

• Like 1

Really?

Try Rover, MG and LR with the 1.8 petrol engine and it's dodgy headgasket.

And I am sure there are plenty of others.

They, I discount as being financially distressed for years with limited resources and at the time not in the same world as VAG.

Asian manufacturers?

So lets support those that have problems with Skoda & Volkswagen Group Manufacturers and their Engines.

We all know that the majority can be OK, and have no issues, and it is wonderful when they are.

Sadly often a thread goes off course when Skoda / VW Fan Boys troll a thread and hark back to some other Manufacturers and their failures and the likes.

Great that they have had good Customer Services and always had the Manufacturer see them right.

Maybe best if they start their own Positive Threads where they can discuss other Manufacturers Products.

Yes I'm not aware of an engine producer that has had as many lunch on themselves combined with oil consumption and gearbox failures which has been going on for so long and simply shrugged off as of no particular consequence by the motor scribblers.

So lets support those that have problems with Skoda & Volkswagen Group Manufacturers and their Engines.

We all know that the majority can be OK, and have no issues, and it is wonderful when they are.

Sadly often a thread goes off course when Skoda / VW Fan Boys troll a thread and hark back to some other Manufacturers and their failures and the likes.

Great that they have had good Customer Services and always had the Manufacturer see them right.

Maybe best if they start their own Positive Threads where they can discuss other Manufacturers Products.

It's a DISCUSSION forum, George, people DISCUSS things!!

If you consider that someone is trolling a thread then use the REPORT button.

• Like 1

Skoda issued TPI 2027920/1 - Engine oil consumption exceeding the standard set by the manufacturer - on 05 Jan 2012.  The technical background is that engine parts exposed to a high heat load, influenced also by an unfavourable driving profile, may cause increased oil consumption.  The production change involved optimized piston rings and pistons.  If the car is in warranty, and the engine oil consumption claimed has been verified in accordance with TPI 2027572/2 and confirmed as being higher than the standard specified by the manufacturer, then the set of complete pistons as well as the set of connecting rods are replaced.

The spare part numbers are:

Piston complete - 06H 107 065 DF.

1 set connecting rods - 06J 198 401 H.

I think I have read elsewhere that the bill for that is circa £2500.  The timing chain tensioner problem is a separate issue but, funds permitting, it would be a good idea to have that tensioner, timing chain and chain guides replaced at the same time.  The dealer cost could be circa £850 if you are lucky.

As requested, reported,  before you get into full troll and abusive mode.

I understand now why I added you to my Ignore list!

Fred

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update -

The garage did an accurate measurement of the oil consumption after I had put about 600 miles on it (long trip last weekend), and apparently the oil usage is *just* within the amount that Skoda consider acceptable. So as far as Skoda UK are concerned, it's not a problem. It's a "characteristic" of the engine. 

I had the garage replace the timing chain and tensioner anyway, so I'm reasonably happy that it won't suddenly go bang, but I can't say I'm happy with Skoda...

Do you have a copy of the Report.

Weight of Oil Drained after new Oil & Filter fitted and the 1000 km (621 miles) driven.

Weight of Oil after test mileage,?

1 Litre of Engine Oil being 857 Grams for the Skoda / VW test..

Are they stating that just under 0.5 Litres of Oil used in 1000 km is acceptable. (428.5 Grams)

Their test is so inaccurate over this distance, and if it was acceptable,

they could have put the drained Oil back in and seen what Oil consumption there was in the next 621 miles.

A long trip is not going to give a result as a Daily Commute, short Journeys from cold gives.

Loss of compression due to Ring Wear.

Even the old 'Dynamic Test' over only 100 km was a more accurate test.

Putting the Engine through different Temperatures, bringing the Cooling Fans on,

raising the oil temperature, then equating the Oil Use buy Weighing & multiplying by 10.

With the Likes of a 1.4TSI Twincharger with Excessive oil use, as much as 1 litre in 700 miles,

you can then do a long trip and use no Oil.

& Skoda Technicians seem able to get the result of 0.3 Litres per 1000 km.

Within Tolerances.

Odd how often the Results wrongly have 1 Litre of oil as being 1000 Grams.

http://revotechnik.com/support/technical/14tsi-twincharger-engine-issues

Around 25% failure rate, many tested as being within acceptable limits.

That is until correctly checked, that is Accurate Checking.

Edited by goneoffSKi

I have a selection of Skoda Dealership Oil Consumption Test Results and Invoices.

They are quite handy in assisting Members in getting the proper repairs to their vehicles.

Briskoda members that have had warranty work refused & have actually been refunded and had new engines fitted 

once Skoda have been shown the incompetence of some Technicians that have done the tests.

Cases of others trying to cover up that fact that they do not have the honesty to admit to being stupid.

EG.

This is an engine getting filled with 3.6 litres of oil which is the correct quantity.

just the weight of 3.6 litres is obviously incorrect.

Edited by goneoffSKi