AP Coilovers

Afternoon everyone, so on Sunday I will hopefully be the owner of some AP coilovers and 17" Porsche twists, what does everyone recommend to replace? Im going to replace the front top mounts thats a definite but I heard mixed answers about getting shorter drop links? And is it also worth replacing the bushes? Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely will need shorter drop links if planning on going reasonably low. My H&R's came with VMAXX shortened links which did the trick.  Check over the car for items that look worn out, or feel they could be worn if the cars drives abnormally in your eyes, before wasting money on things that do not need to be changed just because someone on a forum says you should, it happens far too often on here (my own personal opinion of course). 

Definitely will need shorter drop links if planning on going reasonably low. My H&R's came with VMAXX shortened links which did the trick.  Check over the car for items that look worn out, or feel they could be worn if the cars drives abnormally in your eyes, before wasting money on things that do not need to be changed just because someone on a forum says you should, it happens far too often on here (my own personal opinion of course). 

Yeah I think the shorter drop links are a must. I will have a look and see what looks worn, drive feels fine though. Thanks for your help.

You don't need shorter drop links on AP's due to the design of them

Will I be okay without them then? Spoke to you yesterday on instagram haha

What about the bumpstops?

Should i get bump stops?

You can get Ibiza bump stops for the rear or cut you're existing ones down to the size of the Ibiza ones but that's only needed to go a little more lower

You won't need shorter drop links with the AP's

I fitted new suspension a few months back and nothing was needed apart from 2 new drop links (not shorter ones), i'm fitting AP coilovers on Monday and i doubt i will need to change anything, even top mounts and bearings are fine but depends on you, if they do need replacing a few months down the line then you willing to pay the labour to get everything off again to change them or just replace everything now for peace of mind

You can get Ibiza bump stops for the rear or cut you're existing ones down to the size of the Ibiza ones but that's only needed to go a little more lower

You won't need shorter drop links with the AP's

I fitted new suspension a few months back and nothing was needed apart from 2 new drop links (not shorter ones), i'm fitting AP coilovers on Monday and i doubt i will need to change anything, even top mounts and bearings are fine but depends on you, if they do need replacing a few months down the line then you willing to pay the labour to get everything off again to change them or just replace everything now for peace of mind

Ok thanks for the advise, i will be going as low as possible so i think i'll get the ibiza bump stops. Im getting some top mounts fairly cheap so i may as well replace those for peace of mind. Appreciate the help i'll go have a search on ebay for the bump stops.

what do you mean elaborate? I said they don't need them due to the design of them do you not understand?

You said when using the AP coilovers you do not need to use shortened drop links due to their design - what makes them different to other coilovers? when getting to a certain ride height you will need them no matter what coilovers you have. 

You said when using the AP coilovers you do not need to use shortened drop links due to their design - what makes them different to other coilovers? when getting to a certain ride height you will need them no matter what coilovers you have.

i don't know the specifics because I don't work for AP and I'm not a coilover master mind. I do have AP's thow do you? I'm speaking from personal experience and telling the OP that he does NOT need shortened drop links. I run mine at this height and the arb is nowhere near the driveshaft, so he can take you're advice and waste his money or he can take mine from first hand experience and save money, doesn't bother me in the slightest.

fca6955ac75ef3cb5051d7808335f26b.jpg

i don't know the specifics because I don't work for AP and I'm not a coilover master mind. I do have AP's thow do you? I'm speaking from personal experience and telling the OP that he does NOT need shortened drop links. I run mine at this height and the arb is nowhere near the driveshaft, so he can take you're advice and waste his money or he can take mine from first hand experience and save money, doesn't bother me in the slightest.

fca6955ac75ef3cb5051d7808335f26b.jpg

So you meant that the OP does not need them if he is running 17's also and same ride height, not due to the design on the AP's. That clears that up. 

So you meant that the OP does not need them if he is running 17's also and same ride height, not due to the design on the AP's. That clears that up.

Or if he has 16's he still won't need them, at the same height. Mine has 25mm left to go down on the front and as I said, the arb is no where near the shaft.

I could keep going all night like this if you want me too or you could just pipe down and get off you're high horse.

6dbc3bfdc4de745235c0d1835d34f6d6.jpg

Edited by tommccabevRS

Or if he has 16's he still won't need them, at the same height. Mine has 25mm left to go down on the front and as I said, the arb is no where near the shaft.

I could keep going all night like this if you want me too or you could just pipe down and get off you're high horse.

6dbc3bfdc4de745235c0d1835d34f6d6.jpg

OK thanks for your wisdom.

Afternoon everyone, so on Sunday I will hopefully be the owner of some AP coilovers and 17" Porsche twists, what does everyone recommend to replace? Im going to replace the front top mounts thats a definite but I heard mixed answers about getting shorter drop links? And is it also worth replacing the bushes? Thanks in advance

It depends on how much money your willing to spend, I had JOM's on and it was knocking a lot so I picked up a 2nd hand set of AP's with top mounts and noise went away for a few months and then came back so I went whole hog:

New Top Mounts inc Bearings,

New Ball Joints,

New Track Rods,

Full Poly Bush Kit.

It made the car so much better, mine is on over 100k though now so it was probably wise to change it but either way the cars can be over 10 years old so its a wise investment in my book to renew it all.

It depends on how much money your willing to spend, I had JOM's on and it was knocking a lot so I picked up a 2nd hand set of AP's with top mounts and noise went away for a few months and then came back so I went whole hog:

New Top Mounts inc Bearings,

New Ball Joints,

New Track Rods,

Full Poly Bush Kit.

It made the car so much better, mine is on over 100k though now so it was probably wise to change it but either way the cars can be over 10 years old so its a wise investment in my book to renew it all.

Ok will see how the ride is with new mounts, car is only on 60k so hopefully everything will be alright

Difference between ap and cheap coil overs is the mount for the drop link is straight on cheap coil overs and "U" shaped on aps so it mounts higher to compensate for the drop. If that makes sence I'd personally change top mounts and bearings I did both times I fitted new suspension wouldn't bother with ibiza bump stops just trimmed a little bit of the standard 1s no problems

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...