Tailgate Strut

briwy

Just had a tailgate strut go on our three year old. Bit odd as I thought these were gas struts but the old one had oil leaking out.

Got a new one from SGS Engineering in Derby for £16, five minute job to replace.

Edited by briwy

The struts on mine have started squeaking when I close the tailgate. Is this a sign they are on the way out or do they need some sort of TLC and if so any recommendations?

The struts on mine have started squeaking when I close the tailgate. Is this a sign they are on the way out or do they need some sort of TLC and if so any recommendations?

Mine did that!  But a small squirt of WD40 aimed carefully into each of the end sockets of both struts cured the squeak immediately. Helps penetrate if you twist the struts slightly on the sockets when applying the WD40, to give better access to the ball and socket joint.

Edited by FlintstoneR1

• 1 year later...

After being hit on the head one too many times I did a search and found this thread.  Two struts are now en route to me from SGS thanks to this thread!

• Like 1

Grease the fittings at each end only! 

DO NOT put anything on the chrome rod the manufacturer says they  are totally maintenance free,

Often the cause of failure is the lubrication that has been put on the rods reacts with the seals and then eventually gas leaks out.  :o

• Like 1

And that was that! They arrived today and took less than 2 minutes to fit (wife acting as a prop to hold the bootlid up). Now you have to be careful not to be caught under the chin as it goes up! One of the old ones was significantly weaker than the other it turns out.

Indeed. The reason I knew one had failed was that I could just about compress it with my full body weight on it. The other one remained unyielding under the same pressure.

I'm trying to think of ideas for how to over-engineer something at home with the old gas lifters.

Slightly off topic - can the tailgate opening be adjusted to prevent opening too high? I need it reduced by only about 40mm to prevent it clipping the roller shutter door to our garage.

I think the only way to achieve that would be to fit a tether or have shorter struts custom made.

Shame the tailgate opening cannot be limited via software like MB'S.

I'd guess that if you can find a strut for another car that is shorter AND has the same lifting capacity, that oughta do it.

Can you fit a padded bumper on the ceiling of the garage to catch the lid before it hits the door mechanism?

I'm trying to think of ideas for how to over-engineer something at home with the old gas lifters.

I wonder if I can re-purpose them (or one of them) as a bonnet lifter?

• 11 months later...
On 9/16/2016 at 18:20, survey said:

Slightly off topic - can the tailgate opening be adjusted to prevent opening too high? I need it reduced by only about 40mm to prevent it clipping the roller shutter door to our garage.

Reply to an old post but it may be useful to know..

Our tailgate also clipped the roller door to our garage, so have fitted struts that are shorter.

The struts are Topran p/n 110279.

Equivalent to p/n 8D9827552F, original to Audi A3 8L rear.

According to specs they have similar lifting force to the Yeti originals but are 25mm shorter when fully extended.

Now, when opened,  the bottom edge of our tailgate is 158mm closer to the ground. Still plenty high and the grab handle is at a much friendlier height.

(Bottom of grab handle is at 173cm above ground.)

Cheers

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1