Blue smoke from under bonnet!

Hi hoping someone can help. Earlier today while I was on my way to work I stopped at a shop and was sat in car when I noticed blue smoke coming from under the bonnet at the front end. Got out and lifted hood to take a look and there was blue smoke coming from where the turbo is. So I panicked and drove straight home. There was a slight smell as if something was burning. Going to pop round to my local when he opens to get it checked out. Does anyone have any ideas of what it might have been or has experienced something similar. I've had the car for 2 months now and when I bought the car I had the garage replace the turbo actuator as it was seized. My car is a superb on a 58 plate, crtdi 170 elegance. All help appreciated.

Blue smoke normally indicates oil being burned, but the cause of which could be all sorts unfortunately.
It could be anything from a bit of spilt oil heating up on the turbo housing, to a full on inpending turbo failure, cracked housing etc etc.

No point worrying until the garage have had a look. :)

IF it all still sounds okay and power delivery is unaffected then hopefully there's nothing badly wrong yet. It could be the oil feed to the turbo leaking. Definitely get it looked at and drive as little as possible until you do.

Been to local and after a quick inspection has advised me that the gasket that goes I between the turbo and DPF is faulty. Lifted bonnet and looking through the gap at the bottom from the drivers seat I was revving the car up and clearly could see bluish smoke shooting up from the turbo/dpf joint. So hopefully should be sorted.

Maybe was damaged while the actuator was being fitted. Got car booked in at stealers Tuesday to diagnose a dronning noise, £90+ vat ph. Hope they find the cause quick. Might take a packed lunch and sit and watch them. Lol

Maybe was damaged while the actuator was being fitted. Got car booked in at stealers Tuesday to diagnose a dronning noise, £90+ vat ph. Hope they find the cause quick. Might take a packed lunch and sit and watch them. Lol

You dont remove the dpf from the turbo when the turbo actuator is fitted its all done in situ, the gasket/sealing ring that goes between the dpf and turbo can leak, ive seen it quiet a few times, But is a easy fix.

Are you familiar with the [characteristic] drone at low revs from the loose air intake box, and the metallic rasp from the bulkhead heat shield?

Is that a common problem then with the air intake box and heat shield? Mine sounds like the transmission because the droning varies with speed. Might try a Dsg service as I've read posts that this helps with excessive gearbox noise and also I have no idea when it might have been done last.

Thankyou Jake I'm going to try them Sunday when I'm off work. Hopefully if this solves my problem I can cancel the trip to the stealers. :-)

Edited by Rajakay

By the way does anyone know if the 6 speed DSG suffers with the differential bearing like the 7 speed DSG? Also if a differential bearing is shot would driving the car lead to total gearbox faliure?