1.8 TSI PCV and DV replacement plus MFSW button cleaning

Hi Guys, 

Its been 18mths since I last posted (naughty!) and the Superb has ticked over 80k miles. I am beginning to think about preventative maintenance on my car to keep her in top health. So I was thinking that the DV and PCV are probably prime candidates after reading around them. Are they home replacements and is there a particular revision to go for?

The other thing that I experience every so often is that the right hand wheel push button doesn't work. I have to keep pushing it until it finally works. I think it just needs a good clean. Can I do it in situ or are they difficult to replace / clean?

Other than that the 'perb as been excellent and a great all-rounder. So pleased still after nearly 2 years and 24,000 miles 

When i bought mine last year the RHS roller button would scroll ok but you had to be Geoff Capes to get it to register you pushing / clicking it. It was replaced under the approved used warranty by the dealer. The guy in the service dept did say it should have been £140 for the part (Each set of buttons comes as the one part) and that it is a two minute, straight swap job.

When i bought mine last year the RHS roller button would scroll ok but you had to be Geoff Capes to get it to register you pushing / clicking it. It was replaced under the approved used warranty by the dealer. The guy in the service dept did say it should have been £140 for the part (Each set of buttons comes as the one part) and that it is a two minute, straight swap job.

Thanks. Do you know if the buttons are replaceable without removing the airbag? don't suppose you have any paperwork with the part number on do you?

I don't have a part number I'm afraid.... From what the guy at the service desk said he seemed to think it was literally a straight swap and a two minute job which is why he reckoned the part itself is so much..... They have to get your money off you somehow was what he was trying to say. :)

I'd check for sure before doing anything because that's not the impression i got.... I'm sure someone will be able to confirm that for you though.

The airbag does need to come off. You can sometimes pick up the buttons cheaply on eBay by searching the part number of the button as they are bloody expensive from the dealer. I did this and picked up a set for £15 vs dealer price of £130+VAT per side!!

Try cleaning contacts first and while you are at it read the part number. Just make sure you disconnect battery and leave it for 30 mins before removing the airbag to allow any charge that might set it off to dissipate.

• Like 2

The airbag does need to come off. You can sometimes pick up the buttons cheaply on eBay by searching the part number of the button as they are bloody expensive from the dealer. I did this and picked up a set for £15 vs dealer price of £130+VAT per side!!

Try cleaning contacts first and while you are at it read the part number. Just make sure you disconnect battery and leave it for 30 mins before removing the airbag to allow any charge that might set it off to dissipate.

Hi, I have the same issue and posted here about it. http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/348947-my-nipple-is-broken/  

I know taking this to the dealer will cost me a lot so keen to try simple solutions 1st. You mention cleaning the contacts? I assume this means dismantling the steering wheel etc? any instructions on how to do this anywhere? Cheers

If you get the airbag off (search threads on here), the button loom plug just pulls out of its socket. Then get some contact cleaner and a cotton bud and wipe the plug and socket... You will probably be surprised how dirty the bud will get.

I'll have a search and see what I can find. The other buttons work perfectly fine. I remember cleaning my CC stalk and it was disgusting! I figured it was something similar.

I'll have a search and see what I can find. The other buttons work perfectly fine. I remember cleaning my CC stalk and it was disgusting! I figured it was something similar.

Being lazy if you do find a good guide to removing the air bag let me know! Sounds like and Easter week end task.

Hmmm looks like it is actuating a micro switch. Not sure if the cleaning will work. Wonder if the micro switch is failing. Any chance you've put them in and tested?

Hmmm looks like it is actuating a micro switch. Not sure if the cleaning will work. Wonder if the micro switch is failing. Any chance you've put them in and tested?

Put it all back together, I did clean the wheel and the contact point with buds and alcohol. Hard to tell if better as the fault was intermittent but shall report back in a week or two.

A week later (famous last words) but been no issues whatsoever. Not 100% sure I cleaned anything but maybe a bit of dirt in the connection or a compete re-boot did the trick but all good. Thanks for all the help.