Need help with a couple things plz

hebby

Well this is my second post and I'm new to skoda. I purchased my SDI knowing it had a couple of faults willing to do the work myself.

First up is the wishbones and bushes... Now i know the ild ones need pulling out and I'm not gonna be sticking anything special in there place but i noticed a few of the wishbones for sale have the bushes fitted? now if i got these would that mean i have to remove the part the wishbones are bolted to? or will they go straight in without having to remove? 

Next is the parking light flashes and beeps when going round corners and need to top up the fluid a bit since buying the car. i did read it could be the rear shoes need replacing as this allows more fluid into the cylinder and this would match the rear brake handle points almost upwards when parked. an di also read it could mean a duff cylinder that is leaking so any advice is appreciated :)

Thanks in advance.

The Console bush which is the larger round rear bush that is fitted into the bracket that is attached to the subframe, it'll have to be pressed in using a special tool or one that you can make up yourself. Imo you'll be better off just buying the Console bushes on their own because either way you will still need to press it into the Console bracket.

Here is a guide on here for making the tool and for fitting the bush. http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/92625-fabia-wishbone-bush-replacement-diy-guide/

I

as for topping up brake fluid have a look at to see if you can see any wet patches (fluid) if so on the rear you got a naffed cylinder, shoes getting low imo wouldn't need you to top the fluid up 

• Like 1

as for topping up brake fluid have a look at to see if you can see any wet patches (fluid) if so on the rear you got a naffed cylinder, shoes getting low imo wouldn't need you to top the fluid up

Did on mine when thre was 0 friction material it just popped the cylinder

Not had a chance to look yet but would it be likely the front rubber bushes have failed as well as the rear ones? And yeah I had a read of that thread and it's going to be a great help but if I can help it I wouldn't want to remove the console its self rather to just get the bush in and then fit the wishbone.

Edited by hebby

No, it is very unlikely that there is anything wrong with the front bushes on your wishbones. Buying wishbones is basically a waste of money, they aren't the problem. Selling wishbones with consoles bushes pre-fitted is at best ignorance on the seller's part; at worst a con to make you buy more than you need to. Either way, you'll have to take them off the wishbones to fit them, so definitely not a time or effort saver..

One thing I would really recommend is to squirt some PlusGas or other penetrating fluid into the threaded holes of the consoles that the front wishbone bolts go into. You may well save yourself the pain of this bolt destroying itself and/or the console it's screwed into if you do this (preferably twice, the day before and an hour before you try to undo them).

Access to do this isn't totally easy, but if you don't do it, and a bolt doesn't come out 'properly' you'll regret it bitterly. The access is from the rear (tail end of the bolts), it's drilled and threaded all the way through the console.

No, it is very unlikely that there is anything wrong with the front bushes on your wishbones. Buying wishbones is basically a waste of money, they aren't the problem. Selling wishbones with consoles bushes pre-fitted is at best ignorance on the seller's part; at worst a con to make you buy more than you need to. Either way, you'll have to take them off the wishbones to fit them, so definitely not a time or effort saver..

One thing I would really recommend is to squirt some PlusGas or other penetrating fluid into the threaded holes of the consoles that the front wishbone bolts go into. You may well save yourself the pain of this bolt destroying itself and/or the console it's screwed into if you do this (preferably twice, the day before and an hour before you try to undo them).

Access to do this isn't totally easy, but if you don't do it, and a bolt doesn't come out 'properly' you'll regret it bitterly. The access is from the rear (tail end of the bolts), it's drilled and threaded all the way through the console.

Ok pal thanks for the info I'm gonna set on ordering some bushes this weekend and hopefully can get them fitted next weekend if the rain stays away :)

Any suggestions on bushes? Do I get standard ones or go for better uprated ones? Seen some on eBay for £21 for the pair and think there black poly ones.

Thanks in advance.

I fitted the PSB poly bushes. The advantage being I doubt you will ever need to replace it as long as you have the car, they are cheaper than the equivalent Powerflex or Superpro and you don't need a tool to fit them, they will just slide in with a gentle persuasion with a hammer.

The only downside being you may get a bit more vibration due to the stiffness of the materials. Completely up to you, a lot of people tend to go for the Cupra or Meyle HD but you will still need to press them in.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok on further in section today the front bush has perished on the passenger side but not drivers side ( from what i can see ) so anyone have any info on what the best course of action would be? i already have the PSB rear bushes so would it be better to get a pair of new wishbones or just a passenger side one obv depending on the state of the drivers front bush :)

Unfortunately I am a DIY person and will only resort to another person doing it if I really really can't :( so I shall buy the poly bushes for the front :) and I already have the bushes for the rear :)

My job this week coming is to get this sorted :)

Well spent half the day fitting the bushes to the wishbones :) took me 2.5 hours for drivers side that where perfectly fine but changed them to poly and the passenger front and back bushes where absolutely cream crackered :( 

drivers side took longer because didn't have the correct tools to cut the old front bush out but managed it in the end :) passenger side almost fell out it was that bad lol but all done now and the vibrating isn't as bad as i thought :) 

Thanks for the help boys and girls :)

• Like 1