Steering wheel and brakes loose power while driving then becomes normal again

Hi all

I am looking for any help with the issue

I own a Fabia 1.2 TSI 2013 Elegance Automatic

Three days ago,  I approached a roundabout and applied brake for a passing vehicle , when I wanted to drive again I realised the steering wheel is hard as if it lost power steering and the breaks are hard as well . I turned on the hazard lights and put it in park and hand break on .When I put it in drive again,  got the power steering and the break control back .

I called the break down after reaching home, they couldn't find the problem with their computer plugged in , nor could recreate it when test driving. He took it to the skoda garage for further investigation even they came back saying everything's fine and asking to bring it back if it repeats. They were saying it looked like as if engine died

It is kind of scary to drive the car not knowing whats wrong with it , with baby in the back. I might have been lucky this time

Have any one faced this / have any suggestions on what is the cause of this incident.

Thank you in advance,
vic

If the car was older I would say check the brake servo vacuum pipe. But that wouldn't affect the steering.

Had the engine died? Was it still running when you eventually stopped the car?

If not, it must be an electrical fault, shutting down the power steering electrical pump and somehow also affecting braking assistance. Report it to Skoda as an incident that almost caused an accident, that and your warranty should get it sorted asap.

Edited by xman

That's quite an odd fault. Power steering is controlled by its own ECU, brake vacuum pump is controlled by the engine ECU. They're fed from completely different fuses. About the only thing I can think of is the engine stopped, or the engine ECU somehow sent a stopped message to the steering ECU and the code within itself that controls the brake vacuum pump.