Heater suddenly started blowing cold

Working last night, and driving at 30 for most of the time, then up to 50, the heater suddenly went cold and stayed that way, even though the blower was working, on all 4 notches.

after putting up with it for about 30 mins, the fan unusually kept coming on, so decided to check under the bonnet, noticed that the level in the expansion tank had risen to half way between the max and to the top of the tank.

I have decided against removing the top of the expansion tank until it's cooled right down,

What could be the problem, I hope its not the head gasket as I have just had a recon engine fitted.

More likely an air lock, if they didn't manage to get all of the air out of the cooling system when the new engine was fitted.

Been out this morning with the car cold and opened the expansion tank, it was full to the top, the level dropped slightly once open, so started the engine in the hope the level would go down, all that happened was bubbles came from the return pipe at the top could the water pump have gone???

Mechanic just called reckons its the heater flaps, not letting water circulate to the heater matrixes, he called Skoda and allegedly its a common fault.

Anybody know anything about this flap and how easy they are to fit

Update its not the flap motor, what else could it be, water pump or thermostat???

metal water pump was fitted from old engine as it had only done 20K

Desperate to get back to work

Update its not the flap motor, what else could it be, water pump or thermostat???

metal water pump was fitted from old engine as it had only done 20K

Desperate to get back to work

The pumps with the metal impellers are usually very reliable.

You can download all the factory manuals at the Skoda ERWIN site (cost about £5 an hour, but they are PDF's you get to keep for life. I have them on my phone as a portable reference). For my car there is a diagram of the water circuit in the Passat version of the engine manual (for some reason it is removed from the Skoda version!).

Might be worth a look.

https://erwin.skoda-auto.cz/erwin/showHome.do

• Like 1

Update, head gasket blown, sump gasket leaking , so recon engine going back, didn't know VW mechanic was away for a few days.

So engine out, stripped completely, and shipped back

Who would any of you recommend for a new 1.9 engine

Update, head gasket blown, sump gasket leaking , so recon engine going back, didn't know VW mechanic was away for a few days.

So engine out, stripped completely, and shipped back

Who would any of you recommend for a new 1.9 engine

Nobody, they are either still in the car they got built with or as you've just found out knackered,

Get rid of now Skip, cut your losses and start fresh, sell whats left as spares, you'll be surprised how much a car breaking can generate by the time all panels,wheels,g/box etc have gone, even a local bodyshop or cab firm might buy the car off you for ready spares when the smash it jockeys change the image of the one they drive.

If you don't believe me add up the wages you've lost both now and before the engines gave up.

Go get a deal on a Rapid 1.6TD, if you look in the cab mags I think you can get one brand new for £11K, does 50mpg urban, 3 yr warranty extendable to 5 yr 100k, no worries motoring, you really must stop this every bit of meat off the bone thing, I've seen it time and again and it doesn't work you spend more long term and make yourself tax inefficient.

Edited by Supurbia
  • Like 1

I have been looking on many Audi vw seat Skoda forums and the consensus is the BXE engine from 2006 on is pants, many have blown up,

Loads of comments about con rods escaping through the blocks, some have said that the block from an earlier code, pulse the BXE head, is the way to go, something to do with the number of weights on the crank or the con rods being built stronger, and once joined together the engine slips straight back in without any mods except for drilling a hole for a bolt to hold the power steering pipe out the way.

I would like to sell it or trade it so anyone who wants it can have it for 5K, 59 plate 108K on the clock, just passed a full taxi test, all brakes and disks are new no rips or tares meter included if required, RNS 315 fitted with Bluetooth

I have been looking on many Audi vw seat Skoda forums and the consensus is the BXE engine from 2006 on is pants, many have blown up,

Loads of comments about con rods escaping through the blocks, some have said that the block from an earlier code, pulse the BXE head, is the way to go, something to do with the number of weights on the crank or the con rods being built stronger, and once joined together the engine slips straight back in without any mods except for drilling a hole for a bolt to hold the power steering pipe out the way. even an earlier engine from the Octavia will drop strait in

I would like to sell it or trade it so anyone who wants it can have it for 5K, 59 plate 108K on the clock, just passed a full taxi test, all brakes and disks are new no rips or tares meter included if required, RNS 315 fitted with Bluetooth

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update, head was removed on the 16th ,received a call from the garage, the head had score marks, so much for being a recon, they sent it away to be skimmed and rebuilt,

The place I got the engine from has said to remove it completely and they would send another, no way, asking bank to claim the full price back, they have my old one so they can sort that instead,

Before the heating went, it did sound like the tappets where ticking , similar to a lolly stick in a bike wheel, when driving below 20 mph, yes I know they are hydraulic.

Hopefully it should be fixed by midweek, then its Toyota time

Before I take the plunge, has anyone got any complaints about the 2ltr 140 CR unit and what year did they come on line in the superb and Octavia