Hive heating system, or....?

gadgetman

We have had Hive since about September last year. I bought it direct by telephone from Hive and saved about £50. Fitting was a 5 minute job as I already had the correct wall plate on the existing controller. You do need a spare network socket on your fouter and a power supply for the hub. Before Hive we had a time clock and thermostatic valves on the radiators and no room themostat. The system is a gravity fed gas fired Baxi back boiler with a hot water cylinder. The Hive thermostat is in the lounge which has the thermostic valve wide open.

The other systems that I looked out were either very expensive (Honeywell) or were 'learning type' (Nest) and I wanted to be in control. Hive now has 6 periods per day to program and the Android app and text nessage system work well. I do not think that it is saving us much money but the house is now at a more constant temperature.

Richard

I did look at Nest but it will only control the heating. As I have an old style boiler and a hot water tank the dual channel Hive suited me better. It replaced the old timer and I even can have it running the immersion heater in the hot water tank via a relay as we turn the boiler off in the summer.

Essentially, Hive is a system designed to confuse and irritate technophobes while allowing technophiles to turn the heating on when they're not there. :D

There are other functions and what have you, but nothing that can't really be done with a bit of forethought and a programmable stat, which again is designed to confuse and irritate technophobes.

• Like 3

I can't recall a situation where I've thought "oh, let me just switch the heating on" whilst I've been out, but each to their own.

The programmable 7 day timer we have works just fine, but I guess you already get this in the Hive??

• Like 3

Well Google's version (NEST) was hacked last year. You can bet HIVE is also a high profile target.

You as an individual won't be a target but nobbling the servers or a widespread attack on the devices would probably get a nice bit of press for anonymous etc.

Is there anything in the user agreement that says you won't be liable for excess bills if the system is compromised or if it's just bugged and ramps your heat to 100% for 2 months.

If it costs £200 to put in, is it really going to save you that?

Edited by Aspman

I have a Salus iT500 internet controlled thermostat that works well. Check it out It can be bought with plug & play modules for certain boilers making installation very simple.

We have had Hive for some time now and it has saved us quite a bit of cash. Now when we go on holiday we can turn the heating and water off..... Then I can then either log in if I have an internet connection or send it a text to switch it on as we are setting off for home. Result a warm house & hot water after a grueling drive home.

The one thing that many don't appreciate is you can set a min or max temperature on the system and it will send you a text if it gets above or below your settings. So if the temperature in the house drops you'll get a text to suggest you might want to turn the heat on...OR if you have a battle with say the kids turning the heat up too high you'll get a text so you can turn it down.

We wouldn't be without it.

My stat has a holiday function, and min temp/frost protection override.

Even trained swmbo this winter to survive with the stat on 19C instead of previous winter's 22.

I'll save my cash I think, unless there's a price crash or cashback offer as maybe a plus when selling.

• Like 1

similar - http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/03/30/smart_meters_costly_mistake_add_billions_to_energy_bills/

Also the Google HIVE system didn't update for BST and apparently lots of hipsters were complaining about having to switch on their heating using a Mk1 finger.

Its internet connected and like everything internet connected it will be hacked.

I don't want to come home after a 2 week holiday and find my heating has been set to 50 the entire time.

I'll stick to my 7 day programmable timer, though I have been toying with making a custom off relay I could control via a web interface (off only, for when I know I wont be coming back in at the usual time).

similar - http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/03/30/smart_meters_costly_mistake_add_billions_to_energy_bills/

Also the Google HIVE system didn't update for BST and apparently lots of hipsters were complaining about having to switch on their heating using a Mk1 finger.

Such a hardship...

Got a leaflet through the door today and the Mrs seems keen on the hive type system.

Is it a good price & system, or is there better & cheaper?

I have hive

my energy usage is currently 25% up on last year and i keep getting emails telling me the house is 24 degrees plus...

I think all this control at the other half or even my five year old sons fingertips is too much, whats wrong with switching the fire on.  Why do we have to heat the full house or better yet put washing on the radiator in the room we are in and then turn the heating up so we get no benefit whatsoever!

AAAARRRRRGGGGHHHHHH :wall:

However, I can get a small discount at the moment and get it for 169 if you do want it (i work for bg)

pm me and ill give you the details, it was 99 last august but I guess its the time of year.

• 4 months later...

Got a leaflet through the door today and the Mrs seems keen on the hive type system.

Is it a good price & system, or is there better & cheaper?

I noticed the other day that my discount for the new hive system "hive 2" is 99 pounds fully installed, I have hive 1 so I won't be using the discount, if anyone wants it pm me and I'll give you my employee id and the phone number to ring. I can only get one and I recieve no benefit whatsoever from it, it's just a friends and family discount I get, offer runs till the end of August

https://www.hivehome.com/?gclid=Cj0KEQjwr8uuBRCcg6-s-4TrmIsBEiQAN1TdEQN4PrVasfEKyCJVBDSIR3gos7P2eHGyFcVhuE0uCUwaAqnb8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

If you want the best get a proper weather compensation controller, WB do one for their systems..............

However I have a Siemens RVP version which I have run for over 5yrs & that is based on an older Landis & Gyr system which I had first run way back in 1994!!!!

Just set & leave running, using 6 temp sensors (not thermostats) it works out the amount of heat loss, the amount heat requires, time to heat up..........& way more.

Ok so it doesn't do remote turn on but so what..........................especially when it can be hacked & someone puts your heating bill up, not clever!

Edited by fabdavrav