1.4 tdi pd engine rattle

Hi folks, I have a 2008 skoda fabia 1.4 tdi, I have noticed the engine, in particular the oil pump chain?

seems to me quite vocal ! the car has 117k miles on the clock with a full skoda history, cam belt

done at 80k.....I have heard other cars that seem quite noisy. is this normal, or can I expect the bottom 

of my engine to drop out ?

this is a one owner car and condition wise, has been well looked after.

There have been one or two reports on this very site of oil pump chains breaking on the 1422cc 3 pot diesel engine.  It can total the engine if it happens. This seems to happen at around the 80-90,000 mile mark if it's going to happen. It may be a tensioner problem causing it, or a problem with the actual chain itself. I would speak to your Skoda dealer about this issue and ask about the oil pump chain breakages of which there has been more than a handful across the country from what I hear. There may be a mod.  The engine overall is a very good engine and it's otherwise very very robust. My old 2008 estate with the 80ps 1422cc 3 pot diesel engine has now cover 125,000 miles without any issues. It should be a fairly quiet engine mechanically, except for the noisey PD injectors. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...