Flashing 'Engine Management /Exhaust' Light

Hello fellow Skoda fans, I currently have a Fabia mk2 (2007) 1.2 HTP 70 which has full dealer service history from new.It has done 34k miles. Never had any issues until this weekend where the engine management light flashes. Here's the symptoms......

* Only ever happens at speed on the Motorway when its been at the constant speed for a while (around 3000 revs). Engine Management Light flashes & car goes into limp mode.

* When I pull off the motorway, stop & restart the engine, the light goes out. If I stick to 'A' & 'B' roads light stays off. It only happens when on motorway 60-70mph.

* Not faults are showing when it's 'plugged' in to computer.

* Car runs totally fine at all other times. Good MPG, no misfire.

I welcome any ideas & appreciate any help you can offer please. I don't really want to be taking it a garage who will charge for things that really don't need doing as guesswork!

Edited by captaing

What are you plugging in to try to read any stored trouble codes?

I would have thought that a decent code reader or VCDS would find something stored.  I think any time a dash light is put on, there's a record of what upset it in the ECU?

Hi Wino, thank-you so much for replying.

Not sure exactly what kit my mechanic has. He's been very reliable over the 20+ years I've used him & he seems to keep up to date with technical kit.

The only thing i've done differently prior to this happening is put some different fuel in. It was running perfectly & incident free on 'Tesco Momentum 99ron'.

Two days before the fault showing i filled up with 'Esso Premium 97ron' from a Tesco express.

Could this change cause a problem??

Possibly could be to do with fuel change, try changing back at the end of the tank and see.

Look into getting yourself a suitable lead and downloading VCDS lite from Ross-Tech.  It's a great tool that I'm just starting to get to grips with myself. 

Thank-you Wino, for your advice.

I'll definately be going back to the Momentum 99ron & see what happens.

Also will take your advice & get a suitable lead and download VCDS lite.

Is the lead just called a VCDS lead?

I bought one from a company called Gendan, but there's a multitude of options including extremely cheap ones from Ebay.  Gendan are a licensed distributor for Ross-Tech, but the lead I bought doesn't look to be appropriate for cars as recent as yours. I'd wait for advice from others with similar vintage cars to yours, or research in the Diagnostics & VCDS sub-forum.

Just an update:

I've taken it for a good 'hard workout' today to burn off the Esso fuel. Filled it back up with Tesco Momentum 99Ron & the problem seems to have gone!!??

May just be a coincidence, so I'll see how it goes over the weekend.

Thanks up to now for everyone's advice so far.