Mk1 Fabia Radiator Drain plug assembly 6Q0-122-291F

Breezy_Pete

Just thought I'd throw this out for anyone that has a leaky radiator drain plug.  The whole fitting is pretty cheap, but there's an easily replaceable o-ring that does the sealing between the tap itself and the rest of the fitting, I measure this o-ring at internal diameter 8mm, thickness 2.5mm.

There are some other part numbers and dimensions included which may or may not be useful.

The drain plug just pulls straight out from the fully open position if you want to remove it to replace the o-ring.

Anyone replacing a radiator might want to consider buying the big internal o-ring (x2, one for the top hose fitting also), part number N90765301 which is 32mm internal diameter, 4mm thickness. Your new radiator may come with these O-rings, possibly. I don't know as I haven't had the pleasure of replacing one yet.

image.thumb.jpeg.4c7edc18cd5ba016b8d5e9c30452c0e2.jpeg

Edited by Breezy_Pete

• 1 month later...

Thanks for this.

I am currently searching for parts on this as the seal on the tap is warped and squashed. I'm not sure if this is the reason for the coolant loss or not though, but I'll either be replacing the seal or the whole unit. Depends upon what I can find.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 7 years later...
On 31/03/2015 at 18:29, Breezy_Pete said:

Just thought I'd throw this out for anyone that has a leaky radiator drain plug.  The whole fitting is pretty cheap, but there's an easily replaceable o-ring that does the sealing between the tap itself and the rest of the fitting, I measure this o-ring at internal diameter 8mm, thickness 2.5mm.

There are some other part numbers and dimensions included which may or may not be useful.

The drain plug just pulls straight out from the fully open position if you want to remove it to replace the o-ring.

Anyone replacing a radiator might want to consider buying the big internal o-ring (x2, one for the top hose fitting also), part number N90765301 which is 32mm internal diameter, 4mm thickness. Your new radiator may come with these O-rings, possibly. I don't know as I haven't had the pleasure of replacing one yet.

Hi all.

I've had a leaking coolant drain tap for a while and it seems to have got worse. It's leaks badly for a little while after I stop driving then eventually stops.

Ive bought some o rings but I've gone to unscrew the coolant drain tap and and can't see how I fully remove it to get the seals on.

How do I get this out to fit the seal?

Many thanks,

Joe

Pull harder I think Joe. The o-rings will have hardened and become less able to seal or deform to escape the housing, but brutality will win. 🙂

Counterhold locally with your other hand to avoid straining anything else nearby.

Edit: I've just fixed the broken picture link in the opening post should it be any help.

Edited by Breezy_Pete
fixed pic
  • Like 1

Right so the culprit does appear to have been a perished O ring as there was only half left on the drain plug 😂 (picture below). As far as I can tell I have no more leaking!

Thanks for the help. This forum has come to my rescue yet again!IMG_20230418_151354359.thumb.jpg.5b94777d19f0d0b312f469d983d986b8.jpg

• Like 1