Custom turbo back exhaust for Fabia II RS estate (Oz build).

I did but the guy wasn't online at the time. He just got back to me though:

Old ones were: NGK PZFR6R8EG

New ones: NGK SIZFR6B8EG

Those are for all CAV_ engines (CAVD, CAVE)

the plugs were o3c905601A,

and were superseded by these o3c905601B and Dealership when checking the VIN 

should have supplied these, but some still used what was on the parts shelf.

The o3c905601B / SIZFR6B8EG have in many cases gone on to fail just the same as the o3c905601A / PZFR6R8EG

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/349112-inspection-service-£150

see post #28

Edited by goneoffSKi

The OP mentioned uprated plugs, you replied there were none and I happened to come across this info today that confirms a newer code has been out for some time now so, in the end, I guess we agree or am I missing your point here? Because you just wrote yourself there are plugs superseding the stock ones, which is I think what the OP was referring to as well.

Not uprated as CAVE engine cars were built and exported to Austalia as i understand.

The plugs finishing with B were going in various VW Engines in World Regions already.

Not the Mk2 vRS as i understand.

Sharkriders and others with CTHE engines from 2013 have the 03c905601B as OEM fitment 

and still have the premature demise.

Edited by goneoffSKi

Ok, I think I may be missing the point if it is about terminology because for me, being a non-native speaker, uprated/replaced/superseded all mean pretty much the same thing: A new part that is out to replace a stock (or even replaced before) part. What's more important /interesting for me is the differences that exist between the two and it's clear that VW has changed its mind on what is a better plug design for the CAV twinchargers just by looking at the two plugs.

The fact that cars with the new plugs in have also failed may not say anything really about the plugs themselves. As we know by know, engines were failing due to a rather complex combination of several other minor design faults. Addressing one of them (supposedly the plugs) may or may not be enough to prevent a failure in all cases anyway and I think I would definitely stick with the latest code if I were to use stock ones on mine.

• Like 1

Sharkriders and others with CTHE engines from 2013 have the 03c905601B as OEM fitment 

and still have the premature demise.

My CAVE engine car got the ' 03c905601B' plugs when I paid for a plug change. I was told by the master tech that these plugs were the uprated ones from the ones I had fitted from factory.

We got to know about that on the forum in 2013 when people started being charged more for the New Upgraded Plugs when they needed them changed.

Replacement engines were still getting fitted then with the Plugs ending in A.

& some were still using Old Stock and not aware of the change.

The reason the Spark Plugs was mentioned in respect to the CAVE engine and Turbo Back Exhaust and tuning comes in post #29.

Because what the OEM fitted Plugs, and more importantly Piston / Rings, Head Valves etc were fitted in the last produced versions 

of the 1.4 TSI Twincharger engine as fitted in the vRS has a lot to do with the Longevity of the engine.

(The car no longer runs the OEM plugs anyway.)

The question i asked was trying to establish any differences in the engines and consumables in cars Exported to Australia and those staying in the EU.

?

mmmRacer,

what was the build date of your car, and is there an Orange Sticker on the Engine with a date on it?

eg

OzFabia's vRS had the 2nd Breather Mod done in Australia,

so did his car arrive with the Original Breathers, or the 1st Updated ones from the Factory,

& did it arrive with the Sparkplugs ending with 'A' or 'B' on the code?

Edited by goneoffSKi

Engine was built in late May 2012 (so one of the last CAVE's). Breather valve mod mk.II was done at my first service in December 2013 at 15,000km. Up until then it was using over 1/2 a litre of oil every 1000km which the dealer supplied free of charge. After the mod it was maybe 100ml every 1000km which includes track days. Still running the original plugs after 30,000km service (January 2015)...soon to be changed to maybe the NGK's $75 a set delivered in oz.

My original point is a little lost by now but basically it was that even with a stage 2 tune the standard (uprated plugs) are fine as long as your tune is done properly by a well organised company. It is sometimes more important to think about the air/fuel mixture then just how many hp you make. I will admit that the tuning boxes do make good power but if you have seen their air/fuel mixture graphs compared to mine you would be more inclined to pay the extra for a proper tune.

• Like 2

That was the point i was trying to get at.

Did a CAVE engine built late May 2012 and exported to Australia have 'Uprated Plugs' in.

Because ones Imported into the UK did not.

Then Skoda / VW never changed the Service Schedule / Guidelines on the changing the Spark Plugs,

or issued a TPI to Dealerships to even check Spark Plugs even when owners were reporting Mis-fires.

Changing the plugs for 'uprated' ones came later.

The service schedule has still not been changed or a TPI issued covering the issue of Spark Plug failures.

Sorry for going off track, but it come of becomes important when owners are dealing with Dealerships or Customer Services 

when Spark Plugs are having Short Life Spans in a Twincharger.

Couple of questions/comments as I've re-read the original post and I am at the process of upgrading mine so I tend to notice things more easily: Interesting that you went for ceramic coating. I was a bit afraid of any coating/wrapping of the DP due to premature wearing out so I kept it simple. Also, I wanted to ask about the rear muffler. Is it a pure free-flow type ie. empty inside with a clear view from one side to the other or a semi-free one with a bit of sound blocking inside? And how do you find the new sound? I had mine made with middle and rear mufflers (although the gases just go through, no sound insulation) and I am currently making a new rear one, of a more blocked type as there is a distinct "humming" noise when you are doing 70-80 on the highway and suddenly put your foot down in 7th gear which I didn't like.

PS. Just realized these are gear changes, wtf? The guy may be running as many 1000hp Supras as he wants but he probably doesn't have a clue how to run a DSG car on a dyno. I would certainly have a proper run done, although as Jabo said, 132kw whp means around 220-225 flywheel which is an expected result for APR stage 2 maps.

Edited by newbie69

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the comments. Been preparing for the VW Nationals last weekend in OZ. No such thing as Skoda Nationals here.

Interesting that you went for ceramic coating. I was a bit afraid of any coating/wrapping of the DP due to premature wearing out so I kept it simple.

My reason for the ceramic coating was to limit the heat under the bonnet. Here in Oz our track days can be well of 30 degrees C. At the end of a 10 min run oil temps are close to 130 degrees C ( an S2000 bonnet would be nice to have too). As for the long term lasting of the ceramic coat. The DP may well be sold on and replaced if I solve the head issues related to a stage 3 tune (However stage 3 is overkill without a LSD).

As for the dyno run I plan on going somewhere else to confirm the results soon Although a 1/4 mile run may come first.

Also, I wanted to ask about the rear muffler. Is it a pure free-flow type ie. empty inside with a clear view from one side to the other or a semi-free one with a bit of sound blocking inside? And how do you find the new sound? I had mine made with middle and rear mufflers (although the gases just go through, no sound insulation) and I am currently making a new rear one, of a more blocked type as there is a distinct "humming" noise when you are doing 70-80 on the highway and suddenly put your foot down in 7th gear which I didn't like.

Yes it is a pure free-flowing system. It has a resonator and muffler which do the minimum to reduce the noise. the tip is just a 'Y' shaped tip. If it was dual tipped from the muffler it would have to double back on itself in the muffler. The noise is not too loud even on the highway (drone is minimal).

Well lets update what has been happening for the last few days.

Last weekend here in Sydney was the Australia VW Nationals. Due to the fact that there are probably less than 20,000 Skoda's in Oz and that they are imported and marketed by Volkswagen Australia the best to an national car show is a sub division at the VW Nationals.

The local format is a supersprint track day on the Saturday followed by a show 'n shine on the Sunday. For this year I was entered into both events.

The circuit for this years nationals was one that I have done a few times before and suited the Fabia well. In the past with a Stage 1 tune I had gotten down to a 1:09 and was hope for a big improvement with a stage 2 tune. In the end I finished with a 1:08 which was not too bad compared to the other times on the day. In general the car wanted to wheelspin in the first 3 gears and I told by a car following me that he wish he had a camera as the car looked to be 4 wheel drifting with smoke coming off the front tyres on the fastest corner of the track. Although this was lots of fun it was still not my aim. Without a limited slip diff I feel that a stage 2 tune is almost pointless. Best to just stick with a stage 1 tune as it gives just enough to be faster then stock without showing up the fact that once you go over 200hp in a fwd you really need a limited slip diff. As for the results on the day I will let you be the judges.  Btw...the top 12 cars all bar 1 are track only cars.

http://racing.natsoft.com.au/637462077/object_974021.85N/Result?1

Moving on to the Sunday there is not much to say other then to check out the photos for the class winners.

http://www.clubvw.org.au/2015-nationals-show-and-shine

• Like 3

Still faster than EVOs, WRXs, Golf R etc. That's not very bad is it?

That AMG A45 must have been really taking its time! Nice times.

Thanks... I was reasonably happy with the result for the day. The only other twincharger there on the day was a Mk.5 Golf GT which is a stripped out race car run by one of the APR workshops here in Sydney so to finish in between the two drivers driving that car was pretty good. As for the AMG that was a lady driver in a pink and black race suit....enough side.

Edited by mmmRacer
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all

Been busy with car club business for last few weeks but managed to fit in a hillclimb event last weekend down at Huntley. The course is 658m long and rises 114m in elevation. My time on the day was good enough for 10th outright out of 43 entries. Within half a second now of the class record which has been held by a Porsche 911 for the last 11 years.

If any of you get the chance I would highly recommend the Fabia RS for hill climbs.

Edited by mmmRacer

Well done.

What class did they put you in.?

Some UK Clubs have issues, or rather other competitors have with a 1390 cc Turbo / Supercharged engine, 

or believing they are only a 1390cc engine, they think in the same class as a 2.0 litre turbo is still not the right place for them.

Topgear Stig in a Seat Ibiza Twincharger.

http://www.topgear.com/videos/90846616001

Edited by goneoffSKi

We use a multiplier system here in Oz which is used by all categories as set out by CAMS (Confederation of Australian Motor Sport).

Rotary Engines Multiply displacement by 1.8

Forced Induction Multiply displacement by 1.7

Forced Induction Rotary Multiply displacement by 3.06

For Type 4, capacity must be calculated on the following basis:

Rotary Engines Multiply displacement by 1.75

Forced Induction Multiply displacement by 1.7

Forced Induction Rotary Multiply displacement by 2.975

So the capacity of my Fabia is 1390 x1.7=2363cc. Last weekends hillclimb I was in the 2000cc to 3000cc Road Register Class. In the state hillclimb series I run in the Under 2500c class. For track days/Supersprints I have to run in the 2000cc to 4000cc class which puts me against Evo's,STI's and Golf R's.

Easy.

On the day I beat a Nissan R32 GTR's as well as most of the V8's.

Except this one (Super nice car).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Op_OIhsUUk

EVO 6 first

V8 Series 6 RX7 second

Stage 3 Golf R mk.6 third on the day.

http://www.sscc.org.au/site/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/2015.06.14-Huntley-Hillclimb-Results.pdf

Edited by mmmRacer
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

Finally got a decent photos of the Fabia to share from last months event.

Since then there have been no more mods. Just been learning not to be so heavy with the right foot. The result was a class win in the last round of the State hillclimb series beating a Lotus Elise S around a tight and twisty track by 0.2 seconds.

gallery_110457_1586_26624.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Time for a update...Well the state hillclimb championionship is almost over. With just one more event to go it is now just down to the Lotus Elise S and myself for the class title. At present the Fabia has won the last 3 rounds in a row.

So the lastest round of the championship was at Huntley which is my local hillclimb and the only event that I have raced the course before. Going into the round my personal best on the course at a club event this year was 1/100th of a second quicker then the state class record so my aim for the weekend was to break the class record and get max points. After my first sighting run of 28.88 I was well clean of the cars in my class so the next though was of breaking the class record.

During this weekend I had been trying some new procedures to improve my starts. This revolved mainly around the tyre warm up and whether to turn the traction control on or off. During a previous event I had forgot to turn the traction control off at the start of my runs and had found that it could result in a 2/10th of a second advantage off the line. With my first run being with the traction control on all the way, my second run of 28.34 was with the traction control off for the whole run. This put me just 5/100th of a second off the record and roughly near the times that I had done there previously. However during the second run the computer had also cut the power back while going into second up the hill so a new plan was devised.

So for the third run the new starting procedure was set and put to the test. After the burn out with the traction control off and the hand brake on, I rolled back to the start line. The car was then put into sport mode and the traction control turned back on ready for the launch. With no wheel spin the supercharger pulled the car off the line ready for the turbo taken over. Once safely into second gear I tried to turn the traction control off again before the first corner however I mustn't have pushed the button hard enough so I had to push button again while in the first corner. Continuing up the hill the car was going well with only a small correction at the end of the esses to spoil a solid run. Upon parking the car I checked to see my time and jumped for joy on the inside to see a new class record of 27.98. This time together with the faster of the two Lotus Elise's nudging a barrier and being 2.5 seconds off my time I was feeling pretty good apart from forgetting to turn my cheap dash cam. So could I improve?

With the lessons learned from my third run the car and I were ready for the fourth run. Off the line my start matched the previous run but this time I got the traction control off in one go heading into the first corner. Holding the car flat through the first and then second corners the car was up into fourth gear as a small lift and a jab of the brakes set it up for the esses. With a wag of the tail into the right hander I was back onto the throttle early and pushing hard again into the next left hander. From there it was flat to the floor again all the way to the finish. At this point I was really happy as I don't think I could have done any better on the day. The stopwatch agreed and the class record was dropped again to a 27.87.  With the rest of the remaining car lining up for a fifth and final run I decide not to tempt fate and parked the my car early. In the end this time would see the Fabia end the day 19th outright from 41 cars.

The championship now heads off to the 60th and final running of the King Edward Park Hillclimb in Newcastle along the beach front for the October long weekend.

http://www.sscc.org.au/site/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/13-9-2015-Cams-NSW-Hillclimb-Championship-Huntley-Round-9.pdf

Fabia-RS-Huntley-Large.jpg

The Fabia RS Wagon flat out up the hill and approaching the first corner.

OMS28-Huntley-Large.jpg

The current Australian Hillclimb Champion Malcolm Oastler (former F1 designer) and his Championship winning OMS28 with a turbocharged Suzuki Hayabusa engine.

Sorry about the glare. It was a very sunny day.

Edited by mmmRacer
  • Like 4

Fantastic stuff, and well done.

?

Have you tried setting the XDS to Low on your car for Track Days, or checked what it is at from the factory.?

(or just changing the setting up for Hillclimbs or Sprints?)

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/371680-to-show-cthe-ecu-differences

CAVE Engine Cars settings.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/227295-who-needs-a-lsd

My CAVE is still set to the factory setting...never been changed.

Found a proper LSD diff anyway to help with the traction and hopefully stop the brakes from overheating so much. Only problem is the price A$3700 before fitting.

http://www.drexler-motorsport.eu/sperrdifferenzial.htm

• Like 1