Superb 1.6 Diesel MPG

Hi,

I have just completed my first fill to fill fuel economy check.

Car is new Superb II 1.6 Diesel, non Greenline.

Just under 1000 kms easy mixed driving, computer said 4.7 l/100 kms which I knew had to be optimistic!

Actual was 5.2 L/100 kms (54 MPG) which I am more than happy with.

Very similar cost per mile to our Toyota Prius when you take into account that petrol here in Ireland is about 10c more  per litre.

Hi,

Just under 1000 kms easy mixed driving, computer said 4.7 l/100 kms which I knew had to be optimistic!

Very similar cost per mile to our Toyota Prius when you take into account that petrol here in Ireland is about 10c more  per litre.

4.7ltr/1000km is 60 mpg 5.2 is - as you say - 54mpg

Isnt it true that Ireland is a bit short on motorways to cruise on though?

4.7ltr/1000km is 60 mpg 5.2 is - as you say - 54mpg

Only about 20 kms was on a motorway at about 120 kmh. The remainder was short trips and a few longer country trips at about 100 kms/hr.

Very happy overall, considering the car is only a few weeks old on its second full fill.

So far the trip computer appears to be over optimistic, more so than any other car i have recently checked, but will take a few more fills to see if this is so.

what did the puter say?

im a long way off filling up as of yet, it says 725 miles left in the tank and 62mpg (1.6 but not greenline)

Puter says 4.7.

Actual 5.2.

Hi,

I have to congratulate you on this, at last someone with realistic real world figures, hope you enjoy your car.

• Like 1

Puter says 4.7.

Actual 5.2.

sounds about right given the 10% or so general tolerance level on the Superb trip computer. It should improve a little as well over time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

30,000 miles @ 40mpg = 750 gallons/3405 litres @ £1.19/litre = £4051

30,000 miles @ 54mpg = 555 gallons/2520 litres @ £1.19/litre = £2999

Saving £1052

Note: All figures rounded for ease.

54mpg would be a big increase over my Epica 40mpg...

over 30,000 a year thats 200 gallons less, or over 2500 ltrs @ £1.19 = £3000

is that right? sounds a lot

Buddy I want to thank you also,

What you did there is a very common thing to do, people do it all the time and that is how we arrive at all these magical consumption figures bouncing around the net in forums,

Like I said it's not a dig at you but it does show that people sometimes for whatever reason get the sums wrong.

54mpg would be a big increase over my Epica 40mpg...

over 30,000 a year thats 200 gallons less, or over 2500 ltrs @ £1.19 = £3000

is that right? sounds a lot

30,000 @ 40mpg = 750 gallons

30,000 @ 54mpg = 550 gallons

difference = 200 gallons (or 1136 ltrs @ £1.19/ltr = £1351/PA saved)

30,000 @ 65mpg (I wish) = 461 gallons or 290 gallons saved = 1318 ltrs @ £1.19 = £1568/PA saved)

But im VAT registered so i get the vat back anyway...

now my head hurts

Edited by lichfielddriver

Maybe 10 years ago, but these days you can circumnavigate Dublin and get to all the major cities via motorway.

Edited by Tropheus
  • Like 1

Maybe 10 years ago, but these days you can circumnavigate Dublin and get to all the major cities via motorway.

There is over 1,000kms of motorway in Ireland now so much improved these days - well between the main cities anyway!  In fact, you can now drive from Belfast all the way to Cork non-stop on motorways so a nice stretch for the cruise control!

• Like 1

Yes without wanting to fan the flames too much I find it very hard to believe in 75mpg from a Superb over a decent run, short downhill hop yes. My facelift mk2 Octavia 1.6 TDI could manage a genuine 65 mpg with determined trying on a run. I think Veloplus is on the money with 64 mpg max over a year, driving for economy on a lot of motorway journeys. Tyres and air temp make a big difference but not as much as the maxidot over reading 10-12% which I think is where figures in the mid to high 70s are coming from. I think mid to high 50s is realistic if your doing some good runs along with other mixed driving.

Agreed the major roads "down South" (Ireland) are now fantastic and easily eclipse those in "the North".

Watch out for the E-toll mind!

• Like 2

There is over 1,000kms of motorway in Ireland now so much improved these days - well between the main cities anyway!  In fact, you can now drive from Belfast all the way to Cork non-stop on motorways so a nice stretch for the cruise control!

The wife wants to go visit in Letterkenny Donegal, taking our Donegal rescue collie to visit, I said id think about it

Letterkenny is one place you won't find too much motorway feeding to. It's best accessed from the East coast by taking the motorway north towards Belfast and then heading west, the west coast still has long sections of twisty A roads with no overtaking opportunities - great to drive, until you get stuck behind a 70 km/h Toyota.

As coincidence would have it, I drove from the Giant's Causeway to Limerick last Saturday using as much motorway as possible. The direct route across the country on the Satnav was about 100 km shorter but it estimated it to take an hour longer (And my maps are out of date enough that they're missing a decent chunk of the M7, so the real journey was 40 minutes less again). I noticed a slight increase in fuel consumption when switching from Northern Irish motorways at 70 mph (112 km/h) to Irish ones at 75 mph (120 km/h). There wasn't a lot of wind though. When it's windy fuel economy on east to west trips is noticeably worse than west to east trips in Ireland.

• Like 1

Letterkenny is one place you won't find too much motorway feeding to.

The scenery should make up for the lack of motorways though providing you hit it at the right time of year.....

• Like 1

The 6 speed box will make a difference in the FL model. 5 speed box in my Octavia always felt like the ratios would have better spread over 6. Poor torque spread due to nothing below 1500rpm just didn't work with a long geared 5 speed box. I imagine the weight of the Superb would exacerbate this too.

Despite the latest VAG craze to be in the highest gear possible for best mpg I think once you start labouring the engine low down due to insufficient torque the economy suffers.