Superb 1.6 Diesel MPG

Whats the MOT age start now in the ROI, is it still 5 years?

Its four years!

Today I covered about 350 miles visiting customers along South Wales. I mention where this happened as those who know the area will be aware of the terrain, I think I saw 1300 feet on the sat nav at one stage (maybe more) so it gives you some idea that from sea level where I started it was not an easy flat cruise, especially up in the Welsh valleys where twists and turns, ups and downs are the norm, constantly braking and accelerating, for mile after mile, although fairly gently which is my usual style of driving.

The drive to the M4 Severn bridge is straight forward, fairly flat and cruise set to 70mph. From there up to Usk, Blaenavon, Bargoed, Merthyr Tydfil, Neath, Cwmgwili, then back along the M4 to the Severn bridge and a nice steady 70mph motorway cruise home.

Although my company fuel card is linked to my car tracker so I know year upon year and brim to brim exactly what my consumption is I decided to do a brim to brim check of todays journey.

The MFD showed 66mpg, the actual was 62.5mpg - remarkable given the terrain. There can't be many cars the size of a Superb that can manage these figures.

• Like 1

and tested every two years after that until the car hits ten years old, then its an annual test

Yep, the vRS sailed through the NCT each time.

Crazy how these NCT centres are operating 24hrs to clear backlogs!!

Yep, the vRS sailed through the NCT each time.

Crazy how these NCT centres are operating 24hrs to clear backlogs!!

Yeah I know people getting appointments in the middle of the night which is nuts!  I suppose it should ease off during the year as most cars are registered in the first few months of the year here and the majority of first registrations are all condensed in January to March.  Might change in a few years with the split regs

Yeah I know people getting appointments in the middle of the night which is nuts!  I suppose it should ease off during the year as most cars are registered in the first few months of the year here and the majority of first registrations are all condensed in January to March.  Might change in a few years with the split regs

Agreed,

wouldn't fancy the idea of getting a sleep deprived cranky git! :D

so by age 10 its had 3 tests....do they last that long? I know Irish taxi drivers who seem to think 10 years is an "end of life" event for cars

There was a time where that was the case but it's not unusual to see cars well in excess of ten years old around. The past few years of 'recessionary times' has seen the average age of cars on the road increase with the average car in Ireland being almost nine years old now. Cars also age better these days and don't suddenly fall apart at 100k miles as was often the case in the past! I've seen one Superb (which operates as taxi BTW) with well over 600k kms on the clock!!!

For some 10 years is still the magic number alright and they get rid but a well maintained car should go well beyond that in most cases anyway - in certain parts of the country poorer roads may dictate a more hastened end but again not as much of an issue anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's also interesting how many taxi drivers have abandoned their loyalty to the Avensis in favour of the Superb and Octavia. Certainly in Ireland, Toyota has (and still does I suppose) a huge following but it is quite noticeable how many are moving to 1.6 GL Skodas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The justification for changing car at 10 years old has very little to do with the car reliability any more, though I think officially the airbags are supposed to be changed out at this point, which can be more than the value of a 10 year old car. It's more to do with how dead you'll be if you're hit by a new car built to meet tougher crash regulations - even old cars that were safe compared to other cars their age are deathtraps compared to modern cars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQS-7heF-og

Modern Toyotas are very well put together and their interiors are starting to look less like remoulded wheelie bins. If there was a single powerful engine available in their cars in Ireland they'd certainly be worth a test drive - Apart from the stigma of being seen in the worst driven cars in the country...

• Like 3

1st decent run out, 420 miles mainly motorway - 62mpg engine hasnt done 1000 miles yet

Well done.

On computer or actual?

Well done.

On computer or actual?

actual, brim to brim, same garage, same pump!

i think dual carriageways/A roads will actually be better then motorways, i do 650 miles a week taxi work, im hoping 1 tankfull will last the week, "range" said 950 miles.......maybe a tad optimistic

my spirit monitor link is in my signature

Thats very good, I am also very suprised how good trhe Superb is for such a large car.

I will be filling up again for the second time shortly, will keep you posted on MPG.

actual, brim to brim, same garage, same pump!

i think dual carriageways/A roads will actually be better then motorways, i do 650 miles a week taxi work, im hoping 1 tankfull will last the week, "range" said 950 miles.......maybe a tad optimistic

my spirit monitor link is in my signature

Great stuff. Great car.

However, be careful now of the "you cannot be getting that mpg from a Superb" brigade!

Great stuff. Great car.

However, be careful now of the "you cannot be getting that mpg from a Superb" brigade!

Mercedes 211 cdi XLWB sprinter 34mpg

Citroen Relay 2.8hdi LWB/Hiroof 36mpg

Mondeo 130PS MK3 49mpg

Chevrolet Epica 2.0ltr tdi 41mpg

All of these were either courier or taxi working for a living, accurate recording fot tax and VAT purposes being important

If they cant get good mpg they need to look at their driving LOL

• Like 1

I am hoping to break my personal most miles on a tankful record this week. Now the weather has warmed up economy seems to have improved on my Greenline. With half a tank showing on the gauge the trip meter showed 480 miles travelled so far on Friday night for my brim to brim test. The bottom half of the tank doesn't do as many miles as the top half as shown on the gauge but I am aiming for 850 miles from a tankful this week. We will see. It is bound to end in grief knowing my luck. :rain:  

• Like 2

My 2.0 CR140 was showing 61mpg on the Maxidot on Friday.

My average for the tank (calculated manually) is still between 49 and 51mpg.

Regardless of winter/summer tyres, winter diesel, time of year, brand of fuel etc.

The Maxidot display is a guide and often designed to flatter.

The point I'm making is that I could have come here and claimed "my CR140 does 61mpg", when the reality is it does 50mpg day in, day out, mostly at 80mph.

Remarkable for such a big car pushing high speeds.

• Like 3

If anyone is interested, filled up to brim again this morning to check economy for second time:

858.1 kms   42.35 Litres  = 4.93 L/100 Kms. ( 57.3 MPG )

Computer said 4.5 L/100 kms which is about 9.5% optimistic.

I am very happy with this economy, especially considering was all A and B roads, no motorways, and some gentle city driving.

temperatures are still quite cool here on south east coast, so hope to see 60 MPG when warmer.

Diesel prices have increased here about 4 cents in last few weeks. Paid 127.9 Cents/Litre.( 92 Pence/Litre )