Superb 1.6 Diesel MPG

Whats the "sweet spot" where torque and BHP meet? over revving and low rpm slogging arent the best for mpg and im not sure using crusie is either

Cannot answer the first part, but I find that I can normally get better fuel economy when not using cruise.

Havent tested this car yet, but using cruise on our Prius would reduce MPG by at least 5%

I prefer to "feel" a throttle, letting the car speed up a bit going down hill and slow up when using kinetic energy when climbing again.

Not a problem here in Ireland where we have little traffic, but in UK you probably have to be a bit more considerate to other drivers behind you!

The Prius taught me to drive in a slightly different way to my million miles previous!

ie I would get up to speed fairly briskly and then feel the throttle until the engine would cut out and glide.This would then be repeated sub conciously, I think it was called pulse and glide and was used

by hypermilers. (But at much slower speeds).

I suppose I am driving my new Superb in a similar fashion, but I will probably use cruise when on motorway due to laziness.

Pity we dont have adaptive cruise like on the new Golfs and Passats. Actually I would probably fall asleep so not a good idea. :D

My 2.0 CR140 was showing 61mpg on the Maxidot on Friday.

My average for the tank (calculated manually) is still between 49 and 51mpg.

Regardless of winter/summer tyres, winter diesel, time of year, brand of fuel etc.

The Maxidot display is a guide and often designed to flatter.

The point I'm making is that I could have come here and claimed "my CR140 does 61mpg", when the reality is it does 50mpg day in, day out, mostly at 80mph.

Remarkable for such a big car pushing high speeds.

Just back from a trip out today. Reasonably slow up to Belfast on A, B and C roads. 24 miles,42mph average speed, Maxidot 68.7 mpg. Filled the car up, Maxidot showing 54mpg over 475 miles. Pump cut off fill calculation(different pump though) 48.5mpg. Typically my Maxidot is a good 10% optimistic. Full day driving of 75 miles showing 63.7 mpg on Maxidot. Agree with Silver fantastic for the car and engine size. I reckon I could have milked a few more mpg easily so I guess a genuine 70mpg could be possible from the 1.6 Greenline being careful. 170TDI estate BTW.

Yes, I broke my record on a brim to brim test with my Greenline.  :beer:   856 miles when I threw in the towel, my previous best was 842. :heart:    It took 54.39 litres to fill it again to the brim.  Its been a lucky ten days, with good warmer weather, few traffic jams on the M25 and 8 or 9 long runs of 90 minutes or so driving at 55-65 mph in steady traffic where the car seems to really excel at economy.   I doubt I will ever better that, although I have had 760-810 miles out of a tankful on many occasions.

• Like 3

Yes, I broke my record on a brim to brim test with my Greenline.  :beer:   856 miles when I threw in the towel, my previous best was 842. :heart:    It took 54.39 litres to fill it again to the brim.  Its been a lucky ten days, with good warmer weather, few traffic jams on the M25 and 8 or 9 long runs of 90 minutes or so driving at 55-65 mph in steady traffic where the car seems to really excel at economy.   I doubt I will ever better that, although I have had 760-810 miles out of a tankful on many occasions.

Good effort there. 71.5 mpg. Great car!

• Like 1

Impressed! I once got 74 mpg for a fill but that was a little Peugeot 106 1.5D with uber effort over a week and a half. When you consider the increase in size and weight the Superb represents not to mention the DPF penalty that's a phenomenal figure for a full tank!

I usually car share to work but was on my own today. On the way home I reset trip 1 and milked it from the top of the hill down to home. Drop of 700 feet over 12 miles. Obviously not straight down, few ups and downs and a few junctions. Mostly sitting at 55mph, 1600rpm just on the throttle and no more. 43 mph average speed. 108mpg on the 'puter when I got home :-)

Don't know the mileage but went from Kilkenny to Ballyvaughan in Clare and back. Bad roads most of the journey. Next day did a bit of flutin around, maybe 80 Kim's. Filled up again for €45. Happy with that:). I'm a little heavy on the go button

• Like 1

Don't know the mileage but went from Kilkenny to Ballyvaughan in Clare and back. Bad roads most of the journey. Next day did a bit of flutin around, maybe 80 Kim's. Filled up again for €45. Happy with that:). I'm a little heavy on the go button

That's the guts of 600kms I reckon - you're not too far from Galway up around there and rough old roads as you say! 47 mpg or thereabouts so not too bad on a 170, I'm getting that regularly and I'd be using all the 350nm of torque on occasion [emoji6]. It's improving a bit now though coming out of winter. I suppose that's the trade off of power versus the phenomenal mpg the 1.6 drivers are getting here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

That's the guts of 600kms I reckon - you're not too far from Galway up around there and rough old roads as you say! 47 mpg or thereabouts so not too bad on a 170, I'm getting that regularly and I'd be using all the 350nm of torque on occasion [emoji6]. It's improving a bit now though coming out of winter. I suppose that's the trade off of power versus the phenomenal mpg the 1.6 drivers are getting here!

Jesus don't let the lads from Clare hear you say "their not too far from Galway ". There will be a revolution.

Very happy with the mileage,from a DSG also. Hate the fookin car though

Jesus don't let the lads from Clare hear you say "their not too far from Galway ". There will be a revolution.

Very happy with the mileage,from a DSG also. Hate the fookin car though

. Yeah there would be war alright[emoji3]. I'd forgotten about the DSG so that's quite good. Sounds like your older Superb is still the better driver then?

• Like 1

100 times better :(. Very disappointing. Ah well won't make that mistake again. You're happy with yours,? What kind of milage have you on yours now?

50k kms now.  Ride much improved since changing the tyres but I think I'll try the 45 tyres next time despite the additional cost.  Part of me thinks my last one was marginally better but the handling seems to be improving all the time as the mileage increases and everything is bedding in.  The Mk III will have to be a very well sorted car to get my money again!

By the way, speaking of the 1.6 TDI models, I drove another one recently and the ride comfort was about the same as my L&K (I know there is the lowered suspension etc on the GL) plus the road holding ability wasn't anywhere as good either on the GL.

• Like 1

100 times better :(. Very disappointing. Ah well won't make that mistake again. You're happy with yours,? What kind of milage have you on yours now?

Hi Neighbour!

Just wondering why you arent happy with your 2L.

I was considering one, but in the end went for the 1.6, which to be honest I was a bit worried about due to power output.

Did the usual test drives but mainly around town and was happy enough with the power.

Now after driving a few thousand kms I am quite pleasantly suprised by the 1.6. As a cruiser its quiet and economical, not powerful but perfectly adequate for our roads.

I also drive a 140 HP Ford Kuga, I find the Superb under normal driving is a much nicer drive and not much less powerful.

Hi Neighbour!

Just wondering why you arent happy with your 2L.

I was considering one, but in the end went for the 1.6, which to be honest I was a bit worried about due to power output.

Did the usual test drives but mainly around town and was happy enough with the power.

Now after driving a few thousand kms I am quite pleasantly suprised by the 1.6. As a cruiser its quiet and economical, not powerful but perfectly adequate for our roads.

I also drive a 140 HP Ford Kuga, I find the Superb under normal driving is a much nicer drive and not much less powerful.

Nothing wrong with the engine or DSG box, in fact they're the best bits.

The ride and quality of the car are not goog for a €40 k car.

The 09 car is streets ahead. I have driven the 1.6 and was also impressed with it but I need a bit of grunt for towing purposes.

L&k has almost 70 k now

Nothing wrong with the engine or DSG box, in fact they're the best bits.
The ride and quality of the car are not goog for a €40 k car.
The 09 car is streets ahead. I have driven the 1.6 and was also impressed with it but I need a bit of grunt for towing purposes.
L&k has almost 70 k now

Thats a pity, I have no experience of earlier model so cannot compare.

I only have 17" wheels so find ride good, Suspension setup is on the firm side similar to other VW group products. On back roads I suppose a softer setup would be nicer.

I have my car over a month now, and has hardly rained yet. I find the brown hard to keep as dust shows badly. Probably only the initial wax used.

Am used to lighter colours which seem easier to keep shining. Otherwisw no problems yet..

I have my car over a month now, and has hardly rained yet. I find the brown hard to keep as dust shows badly. Probably only the initial wax used.

Am used to lighter colours which seem easier to keep shining. Otherwisw no problems yet..

Yeah the dust gathers quick enough on the magnetic brown and I find it can get dirtier during a dry spell compared to the wet!  Its a classy colour when clean though

Yeah the dust gathers quick enough on the magnetic brown and I find it can get dirtier during a dry spell compared to the wet!  Its a classy colour when clean though

At least a quick hose down then dry with chamois leather is keeping her spotless for the moment.

about 4/5 kms. Don't know what it's like in MPH

4/5 kms is about average. The ford I drive is about 4 km/hour and the toyota about 6 km/hour over.

so i did 630 miles, "range" said 65 miles but i didnt want to risk it

it took 50 ltrs, if the tank is 60ltrs that meant it had 10ltrs to go, over 2 gallons or over 100 miles which would got me to 730 miles

57mpg

Edited by lichfielddriver

so i did 630 miles, "range" said 65 miles but i didnt want to risk it

it tool 50 ltrs, if the tank is 60ltrs that meant it had 10ltrs to go, over 2 gallons or over 100 miles which would got me to 730 miles

About 4.9L/100 kms (57 MPG) if my calculations are correct.

Exactly the same as my last fill.