sat nav v12 upgrade

Hi,

I have a 2009 Skoda Superb !! with columbus navigation system.  I previously upgrade to firmware v2760 and western europe maps v9.  what do I require to upgrade to maps v12

thanks

All you need is the V12 map, my 2010 with original firmware loaded up V12 with absolutely no problems

Edited by Hoverurb
  • Like 2

2760 uses two partitions. The latest maps use three.

You'll probably get the maps installed but may lose out in POI's.

Firmware 3810 was the first to fully support three partitions.

You will almost certainly need a modified firmware to fit the maps on (it modifies the percentage allocated to the three partitions to allow the newer - and larger - maps to fit).

We'll need to know the part number and suffix of your Columbus in order to point you at the right firmware.

I never modified the firmware and V12 is displaying POI's,

Being a 2010 unit you have it is possible you already have a three partition firmware installed.

The OP has a 2009 unit and has stated he has a 2xxx firmware installed.

All the online advice and the experience I have gained from personal experience and from reading about it says that you need to go to a three partition firmware (which started at 3810) in order to use the latest maps.

I know several people have had issues with maps beyond v.9 on older units (with 30Gb HDD) due to the lack of disk space given to maps.

The OP is welcome to take your advice if he chooses. I'd advise him to read the guidance on 'My GTi', 'VW Navi', 'RNS Firmware', etc. websites first and make his own mind up.

• Like 3

KBPhoto, thanks for the info, I've never got around to checking what my unit is actually running, just considered mine to be  "old". I must take it out and see what it says on the sticker, its never been upgraded.  The sites you mentioned are indeed a great source of info. 

The best check of all would be to get a loan of a disc and try it.

• Like 1

You can check the sticker on top of the casing for the factory part number and can check the unit for the current version if the hidden menu is enabled.

If it is not enabled then it may be the third bar on the 'Radio' menu found by holding the 'Setup' button in for about 20 seconds (this depends upon firmware installed though). Otherwise you'll need VCDS to check or enable hidden menu.

Once you know these then a suitable upgrade link can be provided. Without knowing these I wouldn't start throwing discs at the Columbus as it may go wrong.

The Columbus I retrofitted in my previous Octavia was an older 1Z0 Rev A unit updated to v2764 firmware and v9 maps by the previous owner. It was able to show speed cameras.

My 2012 Superb has a 3T0 Rev E Columbus unit with v3840 firmware and v7690 maps (v8?). It doesn't have speed cameras and the routing options are different.

Presume the routing differences are down to map version, but is lack of speed cameras because the Octy Columbus used an unofficial map update? Is any of this firmware-related?

How do I determine what level of maps my current firmware could support and how do I verify the HDD size and partition system? All I can get to at present is the version numbers by holding the setup button.

You'll need a maps update ideally, and also you'll need speed camera database to install onto the third partition which should be there as you're on a 3*** firmware already. Nothing much to be gained from a firmware update other than a bit of functionality which is available on the later firmwares. Radio text mainly.

You'll need VCDS to turn on the secret developer menu on the RNS unit.

You'll need a maps update ideally, and also you'll need speed camera database to install onto the third partition which should be there as you're on a 3*** firmware already. Nothing much to be gained from a firmware update other than a bit of functionality which is available on the later firmwares. Radio text mainly.

You'll need VCDS to turn on the secret developer menu on the RNS unit.

Is Radio Text effectively RDS, providing info about the program or song playing? I always thought it odd the Columbus didn't have that function and yet a 2010 basic Swing unit could call up program/presenter/song name for a given radio station.

Is the devleoper menu required to do a map update, or are you saying that specifically to direct a speed camera database to the correct partition?

The developer menu is just a place where you can see all sorts of stuff about the unit. It doesn't add any functionality to the user interface other than being able to view info which will probably make no sense to any usual punter.

Radio text gives you details (as you say) of the song being played, the presenter etc. and can be toggled on / off.

If you want to update the maps then just insert a new maps dvd and it updates. If you want to add speed cameras then you either avail yourself of a maps dvd with the speed cameras cleverly loaded on already, or you get the speed camera database from pocket gps world (subscription required) and stick it on an sd card and import them into the partition. This is done more or less automatically as long as you name the database correctly. Simples.

Thanks for the clarification, I You Tube'd the devleoper menu and see what you're talking about. Clearly I was spoilt with the previous unit having been updated with speed cameras included. Mountains of info about this on the interwebs when you start digging, some evening reading to do I think...

My Columbus is a brand new warranty replacement and has the latest firmware and V12 maps installed. My question is could anyone please point me in the right direction on how to install a speed camera database onto my existing unit? I believe I need a map dvd, is this correct and if so can anyone point me in the right direction where I might obtain such a disk or download as I really do not want to have to give Skoda almost 200 of my pounds ;-) Is there a way to back up the existing maps and firmware?

Thanks in advance

• 4 months later...