OSF inner door panel (the silver tin one with the window motor on it) removal

Gaz

Hello chaps

My driver's side window just failed, with lots of unpleasant graunchy sounds  :sweat:

I've the door card off, glass out, all the 10mm bolts off and most of the harness off its clips.  The plate comes away from the door and appears to be free moving at the front end.  However, there's something still holding it at the back.  It's moving at the lock end, just not enough for me to see what's holding it.

It's clear the hinge end:

PICT0021_zpslslzagkt.jpg

But it feels like something's holding it here (red arrow):

e5c37ba6-1f01-4a8a-bf67-0acf36cffb10_zps

Top down views, but I can't quite see what's going on:

PICT0024_zpstux6lvxk.jpg

PICT0025_zpsv3cbpfyj.jpg

I haven't touched the three triple-square bolts or torx on the edge of the door at the lock area, as I thought the panel would come off without disturbing this.

Can anyone tell me what I'm missing please?

With befuddled thanks  :S

Gaz

Sussed it - it was the plastic pins holding the lock carrier to the plate:

PICT0028_zpsycva0xkc.jpg

And a knackered cable:

PICT0027_zps0ijwbd3l.jpg

And some rivets to drill:

PICT0029_zpsor51qhrt.jpg

New regulator time methinks  :notme:

Gaz

Got a new regulator  :sun: (it says Passat B5 on the box).

Couple of questions.  When you punch the black plastic pins out, how do you find the one that dropped inside the door?  And when replacing the rivets (top and bottom of both runners) is there any particular repair kit to replace them with, or will I be okay using some nyloc nuts and bolts?

Gaz

All done.  Fiddly more than difficult.  Hardest part was drilling the old rivets out.  The cable has rusted and unwound in two places and was well siezed when I took the old one apart.

Schoolboy error made as I popped the door card back on and watched the window switch harness drop back inside.  Slot for the windows switches is too small to get my hand in, so off it came again  :blush:

Apart from that, not a hard job at all.

Gaz

• Like 1

Just in time it seems - mine sounds like it is a few more up / downs from departing.

So is it better to renew the whole mechanism or just buy a cable and gear replacement kit? I like the idea of the latter as it avoids drilling.