So I'm back looking at Superb's again....

After 6 months of looking to find a superb I liked/right spec/price etc - I gave up and started saving...

I'm now at the point where I've just remortgaged my house, it's my birthday tomorrow & I've got a decent annual bonus this year. It's time to start looking again.

Decided to stick with a Twindoor - prefer and Elegance & any colour but black! So I've found this at a local dealer....

09 plate. 1.8t DSG with 17500 miles on the clock. Full main dealer history £9495.

(http://www.struans.co.uk/used-cars/2161/skoda-superb/#)

Anything I should be watching for?? Originally I wanted a CR170 manual!!! But I could be persuaded!

Definitely want flappy paddles!!

Can DRL's be retro fitted?? Upgraded sound system isn't a huge issue - can always upgrade things over time. Got merc splits to go on it already. Priced H&r's & koni shocks. Think a cheeky remap would be a plan too

Looks rather nice....plus you can make them an offer too....£8750 will see you free up a bit of cash for those extras you hinted at :)

I wouldn't if I was you,

1.8 DSG on an 09 had clutch pack issues

I recently got my mum a 2012 1.8 DSG SE with Park Assist 17k one private owner from a main dealer for £11000 and it was unmarked like new when she got it, sadly it's now got GT stripes on both bumpers corners, how she managed it with sensors and the assist I will never know, well actually I do she's a crap driver full stop, and like all crap drivers she thinks she's a good driver, last car she managed to do £4500 worth of damage driving home on a flat, totalled the front of the car when the tyre came apart and became a magic carpet rather than a round thing, how fast did you drive it mum? not fast only about 30mph :notme: which means with her liar ability she probably thought it's flat must get home quicker which was probably more like 40+mph, the suspension leg was back to bare "polished" metal.

The 1.8 also has a timing chain flaw on the earlier cars, the two things I've mentioned are real liability faults, if either let go you're talking 5K each to fix.

However if you could snag it cheap enough it might be worth a punt, the 1.8 is a lovely engine to drive, I'm praying all those flaws are sorted on the later cars, I didn't know when I ok'd it for her to buy.

If you really want it and have no px call them and ask what their absolute bottom price is on a straight deal, I wouldn't want to go past 8K tbh as it's 6 years old now and most 6 year old cars are £5k ish, I can't see them taking £8K for it but you don't know unless you ask.

Edited by Supurbia
  • Like 1

Before being at this dealer for sale it was looked after by a main agent. If the have previously been any issues with the car you would hope that they had taken care of it.

What should I be looking for in regards the timing chain & clutch pack issues?

Edited by Polo6n1600i

Whilst the low mileage will appeal to most I've learnt the hard way by buying an older car with super low miles.

3,500 miles a year is low, if done over a dozen or so long journey's then great, if it's been an old boy tootling to the golf club and back every day then not so good.

My experience taught me that despite the bodywork and interior looking like new for such an old car the hidden oily and mechanical bits really hadn't taken very well to the constant cold running and prolonged periods of being sat unused.

Nice colour though, same as mine 

I'm tempted to upgrade my 17" Triffids to the 18" Thermisto's but am worried about the extra vulnerability to potholes, firmer ride, increased fuel consumption and more expensive tyres, hmmm, this one for sale does look nice!

The ivory interior appeals too!

• Like 2

Before being at this dealer for sale it was looked after by a main agent. If the have previously been any issues with the car you would hope that they had taken care of it.

You would think that. But as far as I can see it's as quick as they can get the service bodged, a quick run through a brush car wash and bill time. I wouldn't take any comfort from this at all. It's a lovely car with a very clean looking interior which I like but a potential liability given the engine's known history as Superbia wisely pointed out. Don't expect a lot from Skoda UK either if it all goes wrong. For me it would be either get it as cheap as possible if you really like it and spend a grand on a good 2-3year warranty or buy a 2.0tdi with 40 or 50k on it. The diesel will be easier shifted in a few years time too.

What should I be looking for in regards the timing chain & clutch pack issues?

The chain will have the odd rattle and the clutch pack fault will show itself as the DSG not being smooth, you may need to get it up working fully hot for the DSG bit as it was a heat related thing that caused the problem iirc.

No way I would touch that car , miles too low

I'd rather buy a newer car , never was a big fan of the 1.8 Superb either really, not enough performance to make up for the lack of economy imo

Ok so that's me just back from looking at it.

Took it for a 30 mile test drive. Everything from town, A-road, B-road & dual carriage way. All DSG modes tested (D, S & Stick) no issues with changes, noises, clunks or bangs. Just recently has a service at main dealers (timing belt & water pump done at owners request. Timing chain checked & DSG fluid change)

Now for the bad bits!!!!'

Both front tyres were soft mentioned it to the sales man - PSi 12!!! Pumped up before we left. The drive itself was fine, but my Jetta tdi PD is definitely quicker. And not just by a small amount. Took it up the "private road" everyone tests their car on - roundabout to first bridge is the bench mark. The Superb passed under the bridge at just over 80 with a manual change run. (Jetta is about 105...) plus mpg hovered around the 28mpg mark. The interior is very grubby and there are some stains in the leather on the rear bench.

And now the worst bit. The bodywork - the drivers door is creased at the outer edge, looks like it's been opened into a wall quite hard, also paint chipped off all down the outer edge of the door. Also on the drivers door there is a 10" scrape in the door in 2 seperate places (above and below the chrome strip) looks like something has leaned against the car & has then been dragged along the side of the car. The roof skin has 2 deep dents (looks like something heavy has been dropped on it) and the drivers side quarter panel has a dent just forward of the fuel filler neck. All 4 wheels have lacquer lift and will need a refurb too.

All in all a nice enough car let down by its exterior issues. I thought the salesman was going to punch me when I said if I was to make an offer it wouldn't be anything over £8250, unless they fixed everything upto a standard I was happy with - and I warned him "I'm the pickiest customer you'll ever have when it comes to how my car looks, goes & stops"

Oh well time to browse auto trader.....

• Like 1

That's disgraceful; they're having a laugh.  Walk away, my friend, with big, determined strides.

I guess I was lucky when I got mine back in 2012: a mint condition 1.8TSi with 57K for £8450.  The key, I think, was getting it from a non-franchise main dealer, in this case Toyota.  Toyota have the highest of standards so they can't afford to have a lemon on their pitch; I knew it was going to be a pukka car so the 3 months warranty was just a bonus, really.  Second factor is that they will want non-Toyota P/Xs off their pitch ASAP or it's down to the auctions; they will price not far above book to get stock moved on at any margin better than auction value.  

The planets aligned just perfectly for me on that day and the car has turned out to be a diamond; as I've often said, a Mercedes for Mondeo money.

• Like 2

Thanks! I've had it almost 3 years now?...

b11208f2441f49517840c8047efd256c_zpsecb5

984cb60dd10527821198f34feeb35d1c_zps9b8f

I tend to stick with OEM+ so the Superb should be something nice to mess with again

Looks like you've a few other 'projects' around there as well! Is that a GTi in the background?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I've always been a straight down the line OEM only (no +!) but I have to say the OEM+ guys really do keep their cars clean. Think you'll have to go to a chipped 170 TDI to get similar grunt and mpg to what you're used to. I'm assuming the Jetta's chipped. All the OEM+ ones usually are ;-)

Sorry it's a 170. Here it is on gumtree with better photos.

http://www.gumtree.com/p/skoda/skoda-superb-elegance-4x4-crtdi-170-fsh/1097037918

This has been for sale for ages and has come down from £11.5k I think. Looks very nice. It's a UK car so all you need to pay is the ferry. That's what I done only the other way - bought mine in Glasgow and brought back to NI.

2008, Russo hatch 145k, 3.6 v6 DSG - £6990

Ooh. Just run in and a good price ;) Go on...you know you want to.....  ;)  :rock: 

Be prepared to travel many miles to find a suitable car but don't tell the dealer that.

Good luck with your search !.

If skoda bring out a mk3 v6 petrol then I will be selling my preloved v6  2014  14000 miles twindoor silver l&k  never been over 150mph full size spare etc.

• Like 1

If skoda bring out a mk3 v6 petrol then I will be selling my preloved v6  2014  14000 miles twindoor silver l&k  never been over 150mph full size spare etc.

Sadly not.... 'only' a 2.0ltr turbo unit with 270 or so HP....a hoot I'm sure but not quite the same as an engine as creamy smooth as the 'old' VR6 as used in many VAG cars and a few Porsche.

Sob...  :rain:  ;)

Haha! Exactly that... My travels took me as far as Southampton (on a wasted trip) looking for my perfect Superb!

Same here simbo went to Bedford to look at one that was horrible

Looks like you've a few other 'projects' around there as well! Is that a GTi in the background?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep - I've got a rather unusual mk2 8v. It's an 87 - with the early type 19 she'll, but big windows. Late spec PB engine code, but early spec CE1 electrics. Only a few hundred that spec. It's got headlight washers & Votex console too. It's an ongoing long term project.

The Leon is a mates car. We took the engine out of a wrecked yellow Cupra (he hit a tree doing about 55!) and the engine survived undamaged. The red car came with a knackered engine (oil pump failure) so we did the engine swop - uprated the intercooler & fitted a Beachbuggy K250 turbo. Upgraded brakes, suspension & exhaust.

• Like 1