So I'm back looking at Superb's again....

The V6 is sold............. I had a little chat with the dealer yesterday by chat on Autotrader - but they told me they had already received a deposit that afternoon! Oh well.

Here are the few I'm following up on.

#1 - http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201503252054621/usedcars?logcode=visc

#2 - http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201504072394409/usedcars?logcode=visc

#3 - http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201504102477862/usedcars?logcode=visc

#4 - http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201501100078090/usedcars?logcode=visc

• Like 1

#3 looks good, if you don't mind wood trim.

I agree. #3 looks good. I didn't think I'd like the wooden trim on mine when I got it (had in my head the aluminium finish but with a used V6 you take what you can find...) but having seen both in cars the wood works well and to my mind looks a bit classier than the aluminium (take that as a pipe and slippers moment if you wish :D ). Horses for courses and all that....

Car number three looks to have been 'tinkered' with. Would make me a little suspicious.

Nothing major but the aftermarket tints and LED DRL's (this is why a lot of LED bulbs don't work with reflector clusters - yes they are turned on in the pictures!) stick out like a sore thumb, and it has Luna alloys (reported to be quite weak or at least not very resilient to potholes etc.) but you mentioned replacing the wheels anyway?

Car number 4 looks to be from the same dealer that a Rosso Red Superb you looked at in your last thread came from? Wasn't it very rough?

I like the blue estate, car no. 2, big miles but not a concern.

Yeah the blue estate caught my eye - not bothered about the mileage as it's going to be with me for 5 years anyway - so at least an extra 60-70k on it before I'm changing again.

The black estate caught my eye - main dealer - love the Luna wheels better than the others fitted to elegance models. If they are cheap tints they would get binned!!!

Yes you are correct about the 4th one - it's close to me (27 miles) the problem was the other one he had in at £6000 was he couldn't answer my questions about the lack of gears & oil leak under the bonnet. A few straight answers and a drop in price would have seen it mine.

Not bothered about interior colour - and I'm sure the wood would grow on me too

Never noticed the Arnold Shark sticker..... Not sure how I feel about that.

This is what happened to the last car I bought from there - owned for 1 month - drove it twice - insurance company said "unexplainable failure of P/s rear suspension" doing 45 mph on a right hand turn....

23102005003-1.jpg

23102005002-1.jpg

Either way - I'm going to look at the silver estate this morning

Ouch, I know someone who works in an auction house that see's a lot of Arnold Clark cars. He said it is common practice for AC to swap parts off the part-ex vehicles being sent to auction to cars on their forecourt.

Good luck with the viewing!

Just back from looking at the silver estate.

It's a CR170 with DSG. Mechanically perfect - 55k on the clock (still needs timing belt & tensioner done at next service)

Bodywork is much better than the last one. Bumpers seem to be a slight mismatch of silver (repainted??) all wheels have been painted silver, but one has a nasty kerb mark.

Definitely prefer the DSG box on the diesel to the 7 speed I tried on the 1.8tsi. (But can I live with it instead of a manual - that's the question!!??)

£11988 - £3000 trade in for my Jetta returned to Std & £300 deposit = £194 a month....

IMAG0287_zpsjzudi6tv.jpg

IMAG0286_zpsgp0m1lxf.jpg

Need to decide if this is the right one now...

Looks nice!

I've often found silver can very easily look different from panel to panel.

The Thermisto polished / diamond cut alloys are well renowned for corroding so the fact they've been refurbed is one less job!

DSG is very much a personal choice, I was torn, I do high mileage so it would make sense for me to drive an auto but then I keep my cars until they die and there are too many threads on misbehaving DSG's for me.

Sleep on it!

• Like 1

Like the DSG on the diesel far more than the 7 speed on the 1.8t - but then I prefer the torque of the diesel motor.

Don't think the silver one is for me - I'll give Arnold Clark a wide birth!!

Chatted to my dad. Think it's going to be a pretty slim search criteria - CR170 2.0, manual & possibly 4x4. I've got maybe £11k to spend just now - but I'm due a pay rise in August of an extra £150-£180 a month. Meaning if I leave buying a car until then I can push the budget quite a lot higher!!

Should be something out there! Had similar for the father-in-law about 3 years ago. Got him a 3.5 year old Twindoor elegance, 12k on the clock, 170CR with FSSH. + Front parking sensors and boot mat. Cost £12k at the time and was spotless apart from one scratch. So keep looking and be patient and it'll come to you!

• Like 1

The dealer selling #1 got back to me with a deal for my car & £134 a month over 5 years. Mileage is a little high (111k) but it's a CR170 - manual - 4x4.... Any views on that one?

Any work that needs to be done e.g. timing belt or is it good to go?

Not such a fan of the amethyst purple myself but it looks a very clean car, especially for the mileage.

I don't think I've seen a car with 100K+ miles with leather in such good condition, especially the drivers seat. The other seats look as though they've never been sat on!

I do like the fact that it has black carpets (rather than simply black over mats on ivory carpet) as this is much easier to keep clean and looking nice.

The fuel filter lid could do with a squirt of WD40 as the common corrosion issue seems to have settled in but other than that it looks worthy of another look...

Looks nice!

I've often found silver can very easily look different from panel to panel.

The Thermisto polished / diamond cut alloys are well renowned for corroding so the fact they've been refurbed is one less job!

DSG is very much a personal choice, I was torn, I do high mileage so it would make sense for me to drive an auto but then I keep my cars until they die and there are too many threads on misbehaving DSG's for me.

Sleep on it!

For us, DSG has been the way to go, we don't do high mileages & love the relaxed drive that they provide, + the ability to "hoon" when the red mist falls.....

As for reliability / replacement costs, if they go wrong we'll get them fixed, I'd sooner spend money whilst I'm alive than than give it away in my will!  

Waiting a reply from the dealer about the service history... I'm starting to like the colour.

Someone in the know please tell if the black carpets are std on the ivory seats??

Any issues with the Haldex? (Will it be a series 4 I guess??)

My car has black carpet and Ivory seats. Combined with the wood trim and blue paint, it's my favourite colour combination. The ivory coloured door handles and seat belts do show up dirt a lot more than black ones though.

It should be Gen4 but I'm not sure if the Superb followed the Octavia and Yeti with the upgrade from Gen2.

Make sure it's had the required oil changes, Gen2 is every 40,000 miles, Gen4 is every three years.