What about the things that annoy you?

Just wondering what are the little things that annoy you about Octavia ownership (aside from the depreciation!)

Haven't got mine yet but the hand brake being on the wrong side might just be it! (hate it when car manufacturers are lazy with LHS drivers)

Bonnet release on passenger side.Parking on the drive at home with the MK2 was able to do oil check the following day without moving due to house side wall.

Yes one of the worst "simply clever" ideas they had, on top of that the passenger door has to be open to open the bonnet. Try that when the battery is flat or you only have room to open a door one side or the other. If they are going to be lazy and leave bits on the other side at least think of the consequences.

Skoda not alone though, was told by a Volvo salesman that the handbrake on the other side of the tunnel was a "knee protection safety feature". he looked quite confident in that until I pointed out that all the LHD cars had it next to your knee - lucky us Eh?

• Like 1

I'm used to the handbrake as the wifes eunos roadster (JDM mx5) has a left hand side handbrake even though they are mainly right hand drive... I really don't see the problem.

The bonnet release is however anannoying

• Like 2

50l fuel tank! Admittedly I'm a high mileage driver and regularly get 55-60 mpg sometimes more but as the low fuel warning comes on with maybe 10 - 12 litres left makes it feel smaller

How does the extra 5L make so much difference? Do you regularly drive more than 500 miles in a day?

Yes miz I do regularly drive over 500 miles in a day ! Personal best 780 in a day for a 30 min appointment - thankfully I got the order ! That was in a Range Rover sport not the octy though. The point I wS making really was that once the low fuel warning comes on it really only gives 40 ish useable litres . I've some scare stories about letting it go too low - don't know how true they are mind

Me too, the bonnet holder upper thing gets in the way, Simply not so cleaver

Really silly design fault this one. Thankfully a superskoda gas strut kit for the bonnet fixes this

• Like 2

Yes miz I do regularly drive over 500 miles in a day ! Personal best 780 in a day for a 30 min appointment - thankfully I got the order ! That was in a Range Rover sport not the octy though. The point I wS making really was that once the low fuel warning comes on it really only gives 40 ish useable litres . I've some scare stories about letting it go too low - don't know how true they are mind

My best/worst is Derby to Helston and back so 630ish, and tbh I was glad of the oportunity to get out of the car, whether it be for a coffee or to fill up, the only reason I can see for having a car with a massive range is if you live in the outback.

• Sad 1

I liked the 1000km range on the 320d. The 650-ish I get on the Octavia is just not that great, especially not when doing long trips or many miles a day (which mean I have to fill up every other day sometimes).

I liked the 1000km range on the 320d. The 650-ish I get on the Octavia is just not that great, especially not when doing long trips or many miles a day (which mean I have to fill up every other day sometimes).

1000kms is approx 620 miles, where is your problem unless the 320D had a 30ltr tank? If it did then i fully support your position.

My gripes, the noise/lack of sound insulation, inconsistent hillhold, headlight washers going everytime I wash the windscreen, the bone hard jittery ride (only a gripe as i like the handling) & its not returning anything even close MPG wise to what i could get in my older much heavier Suoerb II.

Other than that I like it alot, so much so that I have 8hrs of straight driving to do in it tomorrow fully laiden.

• Like 1

There are very good reasons for driving on the left

1.Your sword arm always faces the oncoming traffic

2.Your horse-whip does not snag in the hedges

3.You do not end up walking in the gutter when leading your horse and cart

You only drive on the right because Napoleon was left-handed :p

Never a truer quote has there been, so get back in your box you driving on the right baffoons ;-P and change over to driving on the left hand side of the road!

It is the correct side and you now know why, unless of course you are all pacifists???

:-) (all meant in gest of course, I am married to one of them wrong side drivers, and I am still wrong apparently even after explaining all the good points pointed out above)

A bigger issue than the size of the fuel tank is the inaccuracy of the fuel gauge, run it right down to empty and there's still roughly 5 litres in the tank which just leaves you guessing.....

I'm mostly extremely happy with the car, but there are a few annoyances:

• The door sills are so massive it's hard to get in/out without getting your pants dirty.

• You have to touch the possibly dirty outside of the filler cover to open it.

• Every time the temperature drops under 4°C theres an audible warning. Which means every winter morning since I start from a warm garage.

• There's no way to do a single wipe if the automatic wipers are engaged. (Without disabling automatic wiping that is.)

• In a RHS car you have to use your right hand to open the sun visor on the drivers side.

• The front passenger seat doesn't fold down if you have alcantara seats.

Bonnet release is a touch annoying, so is the reflection of the grill surrounds in the side windows although the latter you don't notice until someone mentions it again! :)

If you have a pano sunroof, once again, the knob appears to rotate the 'wrong' way when operating it with your left hand but that might just be me. :)

The handbrake doesn't bother me, just keeps my Cafe Nero a bit closer. :)

All in all though, I can live with them, as mentioned, gas struts sort the bonnet holder upper thingy so that's an easy and not too expensive fix if needed too.

To finish, personally (others will disagree) my biggy is the amount of road noise, I don't mind feedback of road conditions but when I have to turn the radio up even more just to hear the Nolans better, well...

Mence, you are so right about the sunroof knob :) Yesterday we went out of town and I was driving. I opened the roof (LHD, opened with my right hand) and left it that way. Then on the way home my wife wanted to drive so I sat on the passanger seat. Tried to close the roof with my left hand and it was very confusing :) couldnt close it first two attempts

• Like 1

1000kms is approx 620 miles, where is your problem unless the 320D had a 30ltr tank? If it did then i fully support your position.

The 320d has 61 liters of range and uses less diesel on average, so it's a bit of both. The Octavia only has 51 liters but the BMW only started moaning at 5 liters remaining while the Octavia starts panicking at 11. 

All things considered my range has dropped quite a bit and while I anticipated the higher diesel consumption I failed to check tank size (though I question wether that would have turned me off the Skoda). 

It's doable on workdays but it will costs me a few extra euro's when on holiday, because I only get to take so much fuel abroad in the smaller fuel tank :).

With regards to the left/right situation: I'll be over there in a few weeks, luckily for you guys the Octavia switches beams to 'RHD side' automatically so I don't blind you guys when I come blazing past ;).

Edited by Diango
  • Like 1

My biggest complaints so far,

The wide sills. Not because I'm concerned for pants (though I probably would be if I lived in a snowy region), but because my wife's shoes leave scuffs and scratches on the paint.

The blank buttons. Is it really that expensive to at least centre the active buttons?

• Like 1