Dsg

Johnginger

If you are staying a while, then I would go neutral, handbrake. Park is effectively the equivalent of leaving a manual in gear when parking, in case the handbrake fails.

Leave it in drive with your foot on the brake.

Oi! Dinski - NO.....!

[i know you're only kidding    ;) ]

Can you please explain why this is wrong and what's the harm?

I think the hill start function of the dsg should work this way.

Edited by Javor

The UK Highway code,  and not dazzling other road users.  Cars, Bikes, Cyclists, HGV's etc.

If stopped for prolonged times, apply the Parking Brake. (Hand Brake)  even on modern cars.

In Rain/ Drizzle etc, especially.

Just good manners as well as good practice, and follow how you were taught to get through your driving test.

The UK Highway code, and not dazzling other road users. Cars, Bikes, Cyclists, HGV's etc.

If stopped for prolonged times, apply the Parking Brake. (Hand Brake) even on modern cars.

In Rain/ Drizzle etc, especially.

Just good manners as well as good practice, and follow how you were taught to get through your driving test.

And the moment I did that I was rear ended as somebody thought I was moving off. Thankfully my towbar came in handy

From my manual (Superb but I imagine it is similar).

The vehicle must be held on the brake pedal in D, S or R modes if the vehicle is halted and the engine is running. Even when the engine is idling, power transmission is never completely interrupted – the vehicle will creep.

It also mentions using brake on D for short stops such as at a cross roads is fine.

Suggest using N for longer stops, or if you've start-stop and the engine turns off, there's no worry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

& from that, worth reading the owners manual and understanding HHC (Hill Hold Control) 

the 1-2 seconds that the Brake System will hold the car as you go from Brake Pedal to Throttle, when HHC has been activated.

This is the only useful info in the manual for this usecase:

Stopping (while the car is moving)

› Depress the brake pedal and bring the vehicle to a stop.
› Keep holding the brake pedal until driving is resumed.
The selector lever position N does not have to be selected when stopping for a
short time, such as at a cross roads.

I'll probably start switching to N for longer stops.

But using the handbrake don't make any sense to me, I understand you have some "UK Highway code", but I don't know a single person that does that in my country.

• Like 2

Is it MB, who have very very pragmatically now designed in the feature where the brake lights only stay illuminated for 3 or perhaps 5 seconds after the car has stopped.

Or perhaps only applies if the foot brake is re-applied after coming to a halt.

So dorks-who-drive can, if they wish, sit with their foot on the brake all night, without dazzling other road users, who happen to be unfortunate enough to be stationary directly behind them. 

marcus

Edited by dieseldogg

Certainly not on some 15 Plate Mercedes CLA, BMW, Volvo & Audi with big Butterfly Shape Brakes lights or Vertical lights 

that i may have to sit in gridlock and stop start traffic for 25 miles & 1 hour or more behind between Edinburgh & Glasgow, & the Foot stays firmly planted on the brake pedal at each and every stop.

In cold weather even these prestige cars may have the Stop/ Start inhibited when it is cold enough. ie Winter Mornings / Gridlock Traffic.

I have considered investing in a hand held "night Sun" type spotlight (the sort used for lamping Foxs) in an attempt to communicate with these bedazzling driving-dorks, by aiming it at their rearview mirror!

But would they even get the message I do wonder?

marcus

I have some permanent fitments that are handy to remind those sitting shining the High Level Brake Light of Fog light in my direction that their additional 

lighting is not required as we sit square wheels.

Handy also  where those with Cornering Fog lights think because it is only one lit and not 2, you can shine them when there is no fog.

If they want extra lighting up at a  junction because dipped beam is not sufficient as they turn towards me, then i can assist. them.

Lights that blind other drivers are illegal, and if caught/stopped by a police officer they can land you with a fine of up to £1000.

That applies if you are stationary or driving.

With the DSG, it seems that the clutch is still trying to move the vehicle if in 'D' with the handbrake on.

With the 6 speed DSG while in D and your foot on the brake the clutch remains partially engaged. This gives the creep function like you would get on a conventional torque converter auto.

It's able to do this as the clutches are lubricated with gearbox oil so they don't wear or overheat.

If you are stopped for short periods then just holding on the foot brake is fine. For longer stops then apply the handbrake and put it into neutral.

When you want to set off again you only need to put your foot on the brake and slip it back into D (no need to press the button on the side of the lever).

Phil

A problem I find with my Yeti is the armrest gets in the way of the handbrake, so, if SWMBO has the arm rest forward, I cannot apply the handbrake easily. I then have to slide it backwards to get to the handbrake, it's a poor design and should have a drivers side cut out as with BMW. Therefore at lights, I tend to use the footbrake. I should add that my left arm is weakened, and a simple bit of ergonomics would make "proper" driving procedure easier. A 2wd DSG cannot be left in gear with the handbrake on like an old school auto, as it tries to drag its arse like a dog with worms.

I used VCDS and a laptop to check idle revs of my 1.2TSI DSG in P and N, and then in D, S and R with the footbrake firmly applied. The revs were the same in all 5 scenarios. This leads me to believe that both clutches are open when holding the car on the footbrake and that there is no clutch wear and tear - or drag - in so doing.

Edited by DGW
  • Like 1

I used VCDS and a laptop to check idle revs of my 1.2TSI DSG in P and N, and then in D and S with the footbrake firmly applied. The revs were the same in all 4 scenarios. This leads me to believe that both clutches are open when holding the car on the footbrake and that there is no clutch wear and tear - or drag - in so doing.

As a matter of interest,  did you also happen to check the revs with the handbrake on, rather than the footbrake, and then compare the two sets of figures?