5 minute central locking switch fix

Sorry if someone posted this already but just did mine and thought I'd post. I believe its a common problem.

First remove the gear knob surround, open ashtray and pull on the plastic rear lip of the surround.

Next push down firmly on the switch to pop it through the hole

Once off undo the clip for wiring.

Next on pic one get a small flat screwdriver and insert between the blue and black parts and prise in direction of arrow.

Once open it looks like pic 2

Remove rubber part and clean the conductive rubber pads with a cotton bud and alcohol or the likes

I scraped the brass contacts with a screwdriver to clean them but there are likely more civilised ways to do it

Re-assemble and reconnect wire before pushing it back in its hole as it would be a nightmare to plug the wire in once the switch is back in place.

One working switch that I now barely have to touch to operate

post-128022-0-06274500-1428943699_thumb.jpg

post-128022-0-29839500-1428943704_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

thanks for that I just came online looking to buy a replacement as its barely working , but will try cleaning up contacts first , its a real pain lately as I cant let passengers out of the car because child locks are on and the switch wont release them.

thanks for that I just came online looking to buy a replacement as its barely working , but will try cleaning up contacts first , its a real pain lately as I cant let passengers out of the car because child locks are on and the switch wont release them.

This switch gas no effect on the rear door child locks. The child locks are manual and turned by the car key on the door edge, it works on the external handle on the rear and that's it.

This switch gas no effect on the rear door child locks. The child locks are manual and turned by the car key on the door edge, it works on the external handle on the rear and that's it.

Thanks for your response, I understand about being able to switch off the rear door locks - but I leave the child locks on and usually let people out by releasing the rear door locks via the centre console switch (thats how mine works anyway) I have found the switch getting slower to respond each time , I can press it 5 times sometimes before it decides to work , which is a nuisance if you are just dropping a passenger off (usually my wife rushing to catch her train)

cheers

• Like 1

......... which is a nuisance if you are just dropping a passenger off (usually my wife rushing to catch her train)

Don't know if your's the same but on my 2012 car the passenger can open the door by pulling the door lever twice. If the engine is running my wife finds that is quicker than looking for and then using the release switch on the central console.

• Like 2

Just on this topic, is there any way of locking 'just' the drivers door when your inside on Skoda Octavia... I know this is possible on VW Passat's and Toyota's!!

Silly question 'maybe'  :x

• 5 months later...

Having had a semi functional switch for some time now (locks ok but will not unlock, no matter how many times the switch is pressed), I followed your guide with ease, accessing the switch through the gear lever gator.

On dismantling the switch I expected to find the circuit board and contacts "gummed up", but was surprised to find this was not the case with minimal, if any, signs of anything to interfere with switch contact. After cleaning both the circuit board contacts and the small rubber contact pads using some isopropyl alcohol and a cotton bud, there was some visible "dirt" on the cotton bud.

Having reassembled the switch I am pleased to report the switch is now working as it should.

Thanks again for your guide.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...