Spiders, are they worth it

Well a friend of mine has just got his hydro dipping set up, and the original plan was to refurb my original vrs alloys but I defo need 2 tyres in the rear and the way my car goes through the fronts because of the lovely roundabouts in mk won't be long before I need fronts either lol, mine will be the first set he does so he's literally going to charge me materials and give me a hand to refurb them ready for the dip so can't see it costing a huge amount to prep them

I recently paid £135 for 5 17" Spiders without tyres, fair condition but in need of a refurb

Refurb for all 5, £150

Tyres for 5 (4 new, 1 part worn for spare) £250 Toyo's

So £535 for 5 mint wheels, semi-decent tyres

Even factoring in your refurb and whether or not the tyres are budgets, it seems like a pretty fair deal :)

No idea on top picture for tyre manufacture but the middle 2 have similar pattern on sidewall and second picture down is a "goodride" tyre.

The bottom looks the same as the top.

No idea on values.

Edited by Defenderben

Value doesn't seem inflated based on eBay etc. Consider the tyres as trash. No way to know the true condition until you see the wheels. Would suggest they are NOT suitable for hydro-dipping without a mini-refurb at the least. Any ding will show up as a depression in the finish and it'll notice most in nice, bright summery weather.

J.

Those tyres are nasty, the Goodrides look like M&S tread pattern, they may even be remanufactured. Fabias handle badly enough with decent tyres let alone awful rubbish like that.

Spiders are ten a penny, get some in decent nick and fit brand new good quality tyres to them, you may pay a bit more in the end but the difference in ride and handling will be night and day.

I payed £350 for a mint set of 17" spiders then spent £300 on some michelin pilot sport 3 , expensive but the difference in grip is night and day compared to budget. Would never go back now. 

• Like 1

It never fails to amaze me that people expect something for almost nothing. One NEW Skoda wheel is £170 from a dealer, so to expect to pay less than £50 each for a wheel used seems a bit much. Of course, if something is damaged then it's worth less, but I've yet to see a £25-£30/wheel refurb on a damaged wheel that is up to factory standards. I paid £350 to have my last set (5) of Spiders refurbished but you would swear they were new from Skoda.

The wheels pictured have all been kerbed. All of them. That alone to me would have alarm bells ringing. Someone REPEATEDLY didn't give a hoot if the alloys got damaged. And if the wheel has rubbed the kerb then so has the tyre most likely so that would suggest you should dump the tyres too, whatever the brand.

And the wheels in the pictures have already been redone in black, so you really don't know what you are buying. I once bought 4 very cheap spiders from a guy in Colchester that were supposedly perfect. My tyre fitter couldn't balance them and it turned out that all of them had been refurbished after being very badly welded up. They were most likely from crashed cars apparently. Caveat emptor!

It never fails to amaze me that people expect something for almost nothing. One NEW Skoda wheel is £170 from a dealer, so to expect to pay less than £50 each for a wheel used seems a bit much. Of course, if something is damaged then it's worth less, but I've yet to see a £25-£30/wheel refurb on a damaged wheel that is up to factory standards. I paid £350 to have my last set (5) of Spiders refurbished but you would swear they were new from Skoda.

The wheels pictured have all been kerbed. All of them. That alone to me would have alarm bells ringing. Someone REPEATEDLY didn't give a hoot if the alloys got damaged. And if the wheel has rubbed the kerb then so has the tyre most likely so that would suggest you should dump the tyres too, whatever the brand.

And the wheels in the pictures have already been redone in black, so you really don't know what you are buying. I once bought 4 very cheap spiders from a guy in Colchester that were supposedly perfect. My tyre fitter couldn't balance them and it turned out that all of them had been refurbished after being very badly welded up. They were most likely from crashed cars apparently. Caveat emptor!

Lets hope that ain't the case as I bought them, tyres look all good, may not be the best tyres but I'll have to see, tand be honest the pics are really bad there are a few kerb marks on them, but mostly they seem to have been sprayed by an amateur and the paint is peeling off, I inspected the rims as best as I'm could and they all appear to be ok (I'm not a professional) but all tyres look ok, good tread, no nicks, they were only fitted 4 weeks ago, guy just needed cash, I'll have to see when there fitted

Lets hope that ain't the case as I bought them, tyres look all good, may not be the best tyres but I'll have to see, tand be honest the pics are really bad there are a few kerb marks on them, but mostly they seem to have been sprayed by an amateur and the paint is peeling off, I inspected the rims as best as I'm could and they all appear to be ok (I'm not a professional) but all tyres look ok, good tread, no nicks, they were only fitted 4 weeks ago, guy just needed cash, I'll have to see when there fitted

I hope they're good! Enjoy!