ET 45 vs et 50

Zmay

Hi!

I have a good offer to buy aluminum wheels.
These are the wheels from the Octavia Scout, 17'', ET50.
I have a Yeti, 81 kW TDI 4x4. By specification wheels are ET45.
Will it be a problem if you put the wheels with ET 50, except that the tires protrude 5 mm to the outside?

Thanks

Marko

Assuming the wheels are the same width, ET50 will push the wheel 5mm closer to your suspension, ie 5mm into the arches, as opposed to protruding 5mm to the outside

The lower the ET figure, the more they will protrude

Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong

A website like this should demonstrate the effect of the difference

http://www.willtheyfit.com/

• Like 1

What are the pros and cons of moving wheels in or out by a few mm? Is this something insurance companies need to know about?

Yes. Fitting a different specification wheel is considered to be a "significant modification"

• 3 weeks later...

By altering the offset, you are changing the track or the distance between the tyres; this affects stability and steering but 2x 5mm is not really enough to worry about in my view. Most people want a wider track, and hence fit spacers.

It might make a difference if you reduce the offset and the tyre start to rubs on the strut though....