£4000 Off Stock Yeti's

mightymurph

I was given hard sales talk by salesman at Telfords Carlisle when I took my Yeti in for its second service last week. Four years old with 37000 miles (170 Elegance) he offered me £12000 which I thought quite good. With £1500 off a stock car and 2 years interest free credit it was obvious he was trying to move stock. I didn't really study the offer in detail and wasn't interested - I'm keeping what I've got but it seemed a reasonable offer from a desperate salesman (I think)

The 'dry' DSGs are viewed as being less reliable than the 'wet' ones that are fitted to the bigger engined diesels like my Superb. We also have a Fabia with the 'dry' DSG and it does feel weaker than the DSG in the Superb. The 'dry' ones have a life long lubricant that doesn't need to be changed, while the 'wet' ones get a lubricant change every 40000 miles. The 'dry' ones have been subject to a recall if, like ours, they were factory fitted with synthetic DSG lubricant that wasn't good for them. The recall replaced that lubricant with mineral oil, which was meant to solve the problems caused by the synthetic oil. It has improved the smoothness of the Fabia's DSG but it still feels more fragile than the DSG in the Superb. I have to say that I really do hope that the 'dry' DSGs have been improved because, like x19, I would like to see an AWD petrol engined Yeti that could work well with DSG. We have loved the DSG experience in both cars and would never go back to fiddling around looking for the gears in a manual car.

Can someone tell me what model they refer to for the price of £12915? Sounds pretty cheap to me?

Added to that, what is the cheapest AWD model available?

£12.9k equates to £4k off list price for the 1.2 TSI in base 'S' trim.

It's £3k more for the cheapest TDI AWD model.

• Like 1

The 'dry' DSGs are viewed as being less reliable than the 'wet' ones that are fitted to the bigger engined diesels like my Superb. We also have a Fabia with the 'dry' DSG and it does feel weaker than the DSG in the Superb. The 'dry' ones have a life long lubricant that doesn't need to be changed, while the 'wet' ones get a lubricant change every 40000 miles. The 'dry' ones have been subject to a recall if, like ours, they were factory fitted with synthetic DSG lubricant that wasn't good for them. The recall replaced that lubricant with mineral oil, which was meant to solve the problems caused by the synthetic oil. It has improved the smoothness of the Fabia's DSG but it still feels more fragile than the DSG in the Superb. I have to say that I really do hope that the 'dry' DSGs have been improved because, like x19, I would like to see an AWD petrol engined Yeti that could work well with DSG. We have loved the DSG experience in both cars and would never go back to fiddling around looking for the gears in a manual car.

Thanks for a comprehensive answer but I have to say I disagree.  One or two vociferous posters may "view" the dry box as less reliable but I don't think there is any real evidence.  I don't see what the recall has to do with anything. If there was a problem (and most people never noticed it) it has been solved so is no longer relevant.  As a driver of both I have no idea what you mean by one feeling more fragile than the other and suspect it is a subjective reaction on your part.  Speaking from experience, they are both excellent gearboxes.

• Like 3

It would be interesting to see if this discount could be achieved at other dealers - I think that Skoda HQ have said to them here have a bigger discount to get rid of these run out models - so similar deals should be achievable elsewhere.

Just incase post #10 causes confusion.

(& post #15, because many have not had the preventative Service Campaign Field Action done.

because Skoda UK Dealers and Customer Services do not know their contact details, or just have not contacted them.)

There is no Recall in the UK for the DQ200 7 Speed Twin Dry Clutch DSG.

There is a 'World Wide Recall', which excludes Mainland Europe & the UK,  which from May 2014 Skoda DSG got a 'Service Campaign' only started.

This means many Registered Keepers have never heard from VW, Skoda, Seat, Audi that their DSG 

might require the MCU Checked, the Synthetic Oil Changed to MIneral Oil & the ECU Software Updated.

People who did not buy in the Skoda Dealer network, or do not have Main Dealer Servicing.

No VIN Checker in the UK for Skoda, and little publicity from VW, Skoda, Seat , Audi since they said in Novermber 2013, 

'No Recall Required in the UK'. But they started a Service Campaign.

http://skoda.co.nz/news/dsg-service-campaign

Skoda NZ seemed to have no problem putting the Service Campaign on their Website, only Skoda UK seem not to be interested 

in letting Customers know.

Skoda UK could at least copy this from VW UK

http://volkswagen.co.uk/need-help/about-us/recall-info

Edited by goneoffSKi

Just spoke to both branches on the phone.

One lady stated that the Yeti would be registered to JET leasing company, but on the V5 my name will be first owner, yet they keep the V5 for a few months before releasing the form. Computer system was down so could not check stock.

In the second branch, the chap I spoke to said that the Yeti would be registered to them, and then I would be listed as second owner.

Seems odd that I am told two different things by the same dealer group.

Is this kosher? Anything to worry about these arrangements?

Trying to shift stock before the new engines arrive.

If they're offering a reasonable discount that doesn't bother me. The 140 is plenty adequate for my needs.

Totally agree.