For the Turbo 4x4 guys

Long time no posted. The VRS is no more and now have a Turbo 4x4. COuple of questions for any one who's been tinkering with theirs:

1) Brakes- what sizes are they? Was looking for new brakes but couldn't get anything listed specifically for the 4x4 but by the looks of them they seem about the same as a Mk4 Golf GTi

2) Front end setup, is it similar to the VRS? I just need to sort out polybushing the whole front end as I have the most annoying knock from the passenger side and might as well do the whole shebang while I'm at it- anyone spotted a kit?

3) Exhaust- having had a spy I've noticed it's running 2 cats, just wondering if this makes any difference to buying an aftermarket downpipe? 

4) Gearbox- Are these notchy as a rule or just my clutch and flywheel dying?

Hope someone can help me out on this one.

Gotta be said that the 4x4 is damned good to drive and although it's still at the minute it handles great (although a bit rolly poly) and boy does it have some grip and as a result can leave a corner like a damn slingshot lol

I'm no technical expert but plenty are on here who can get techy. I have owned a couple of 4x4's - the current one is a 3rd car family workhorse with 165k on it and going strong.

1) Brakes - easy to find out if you use the search or just go on somewhere like Eurocarparts and see what it offers you. I used TPS for genuine parts last time. Don't need upgrading unless you are thinking about tuning beyond 210bhp or like trackdaying, IMHO.

2) Front end - similar yes but obviously a fair bit higher. Rear end totally different and independent on 4x4.

3) Downpiple -different for 4x4 - I believe that if you want to get an Audi A3 Quattro equivalent one

4) Gearbox - yes its notchy, but search back a week and a good post on upgraded bushes that look really easy to fit.

The cars take 210-220bhp with ease with a normal remap if that's your thing. Provided you service properly. No need to spend big money on anything else

Cheers Fabreza. I was looking at swapping the brakes to VRS or S3's for track days. IF the setup is much the same as the VRS on the front then I'll just get the VRS polybush for the front end and pray it fits. I knew the rear was independant and I'll be going down the route of getting R32/4 motion coilies with adjustable camber arms on the rear. Glad you mentioned the downpipe is different, saves me searching and glad it sin't just me thinking the box feels a touch notchy, re-aligned it twice hoping for it to loosen up as well. 

I'm pretty used to the 1.8t engines in various guises and in all honesty being dual catted this should see s lightly higher figure on remapping than an AUQ but in all honesty on a stage 1 I'm not overly fussed, once I've upgraded the brakes and stuck a chiller on the front I'll be getting it live mapped

Cheers

Long time no posted. The VRS is no more and now have a Turbo 4x4. COuple of questions for any one who's been tinkering with theirs:

1) Brakes- what sizes are they? Was looking for new brakes but couldn't get anything listed specifically for the 4x4 but by the looks of them they seem about the same as a Mk4 Golf GTi

2) Front end setup, is it similar to the VRS? I just need to sort out polybushing the whole front end as I have the most annoying knock from the passenger side and might as well do the whole shebang while I'm at it- anyone spotted a kit?

3) Exhaust- having had a spy I've noticed it's running 2 cats, just wondering if this makes any difference to buying an aftermarket downpipe? 

4) Gearbox- Are these notchy as a rule or just my clutch and flywheel dying?

Hope someone can help me out on this one.

Gotta be said that the 4x4 is damned good to drive and although it's still at the minute it handles great (although a bit rolly poly) and boy does it have some grip and as a result can leave a corner like a damn slingshot lol

The front brakes are 288mm vs 312mm of the vRS/Anni Golf/S3/TT

The rear brakes are un-vented 232mm vs 256mm vented disk from an S3/TT/R32

The front 312mm setup is generic across the range

The 256mm rears need to come from an S3,TT or R32 (2wd cars have wrong offset)

The engine dogbone mount is worth uprating as a start

If putting it on a track also look at S3 upper and lower struts too

If the box is that notchy you could try changing its oil

Cheers Snow Muncher, going to try the bushes first on the box then change the oil, gets a bit sticky coming out of reverse sometimes as well. Dog bone is usually a must but I'm gonna get it lifted up at some point this week to have another pry about to try and find this knock, it's not severe, more just annoying