A few turbo questions :)

Morning people :)

Been looking for a 130 turbo for my PD100

Been offered a KKK KP39B 130 turbo by a family member for a steal of a price but it's done high miles

It was on a pd130 Ibiza and the car has done 150k, the turbo is now off the car and I had a look at it and the turbo it's self is clean both side look fine but it does have a little play in the shaft, I'd say it has about 1mm maybe less of movement but is far from touching the housing

What is exceptable shaft movement on a dry turbo?

Just for the record I did have a look at the car/turbo before it was striped and the turbo made no strange noises what so ever pulled hard boosted well and was mapped to 161bhp

Cheers

It will have slight play because it has no oil in and around the bearings.

Imo it's a ticking time bomb. KKK have a bad name on this forum for failing early with no warning. The damage they can cause when failing isn't worth the money you could save.

It's done well for 150k miles and might do another 150k again.

Like Hutchy says, it could be good for years, might fail tomorrow.

Is it a false economy fitting a cheap used turbo? Only you can answer that, much depends on free time to change them etc as its not quite a 5 minute job.

My money would be spend on a reputable recon 130 unit, at least you have some sort of comeback should it play up