Quick answer about 312mm brakes need.

I have 04vrs with standard brake setup with EBC green-stuff pads front and back. I want to improve these by going to 312mm discs on he front. Does anyone know where, or part number for carriers to fir standard callipers onto larger discs. There so many threads out there it's confusing, and so many old eBay links, that don't work.

I don't think you can use the 288 calliper with the 312 carriers and discs. You'll need the full setup.

Happy to be corrected though.

I thought that was the whole reason why the upgrade was so good; with VAG 16" rims all you needed was calliper carriers, discs and a new set of pads to go from 288s to 312s (both use the DS3 calliper).

I thought that was the whole reason why the upgrade was so good; with VAG 16" rims all you needed was calliper carriers, discs and a new set of pads to go from 288s to 312s (both use the DS3 calliper).

True, but i read the opening post several times and took it that they were trying to use the original calliper with the 312 carriers and discs, which won't happen.... unless the calliper was an accidental omission from the post?!

Taken from the first post on the link Dan posted above....

"Here is a comparrison between the std 288mm brakes and the 312mm and its clear why you cant just use the carriers on the old calipers."

You can see why it's so confusing. Has anybody done it to a VRS? Some people say it's impossible.

The guide applies only to the vRS and the 2.0 Petrol, as the smaller engined/lower powered cars use different mounting types.

The guide applies only to the vRS and the 2.0 Petrol, as the smaller engined/lower powered cars use different mounting types.

Exactly ; For the OP, if your callipers have "FSIII" cast into them, you can't use them with discs bigger than 280mm (and indeed need new hub carriers as well as callipers, brackets, discs and pads).

If you have DS3 callipers (and the Furbie vRS does) then you only need new calliper brackets, discs and pads.

It looks simple as there are 288mm systems in use on Golf MK4 platform cars.

BUT...

There are at least two 288mm caliper/carrier systems out there. Essential ours are smaller, with smaller pistons. You have to have the right carrier for the caliper. You can't fit MK4 calipers to our 288mm carriers and vice-versa.

I know it confused the hell out of me when I first looked...

J.

mk4 based cars that had 288mm disks as standard just need carriers and disks to go to 312. The caliper and pads are exactly the same.

On a vrs fabia you need to change the disks, pads, calipers and carriers as they use a different setup to the mk4 based cars. ATE v Lucas I think