Those pesky plastic caps

ejstubbs

Having swapped back to my summer tyres last weekend, I had a sweary session trying to get the plastic wheel bolt head caps back on having checked/re-tightened the bolts after driving a few miles.  This culminated in accidentally treading on the tw@tty little plastic tweezers and, surprise surprise, snapping them.  Despairing at my own uselessness I removed (using brute force and a pair of thin-nosed pliers) the few caps I had managed to cajole/force/beat in to place up to that point and stuck the whole lot in a ziplock bag which has been consigned to a dark and scary place in the remote depths of my garage.

The next day I happened to notice that a collegue's Yeti was also devoid of its wheel bolt caps.

Does anyone else:

1) Know the knack for wrangling these things in to place without having to grovel on the ground and/or have your glasses fall off as you turn your head upside down, leading to the lenses getting scratched on the driveway?

2) Manage quite happily without them?  (They don't seem to provide any useful protection to the wheel bolt heads.)

3) Think that they are only provided for pernickety owners who can't stand the thought that the wheel bolts might not match the alloy wheels despite the fact that (i) the wheel bolts are buried so deep within their little wells that you practically have to get down on bended knee to even notice, and (ii) the plastic caps don't really match the wheel finish anyway.

I've changed the wheels on my Fabia several times in the last 10 years with no problem.
As I have not done that on the Yeti I just went out and took all 5 off and replaced in under 40 seconds.

They do have to be square and in alignment with the flats before easing on.

• Like 1

Which in my experience involves grovelling on the ground and/or risking the aforementioned and damaging glasses/gravel interface situation occurring.  So I'm afraid QA has ruled that your answer does not meet the stated requirements.

I've changed the wheels on my Fabia several times in the last 10 years with no problem.

As I have not done that on the Yeti I just went out and took all 5 off and replaced in under 40 seconds.

Likewise I have changed the wheels on my Yeti 6 times and have never had a problem with the plastic covers. Didn't even consider that removing (with the tweezers) or putting back on could be a problem!! About 40 seconds off/on seems about right.

Does anyone else:

1) Know the knack for wrangling these things in to place without having to grovel on the ground and/or have your glasses fall off as you turn your head upside down, leading to the lenses getting scratched on the driveway?

Just kneel on one knee no need to turn head upside down. I wear glasses too and have never had a problem.

Does this happen when you remove and replace the wheels too, but for that the wheel brace will be a bit safer from your clumsiness that that plastic puller.

You could always find some grass and roll the car onto it's roof to complete the job at chest height ;)

Are your covers the originals?  Some after-market replacements are so tight you have to hammer them on,  and then you can't get them off without damaging them.  But at least they are dirt cheap on eBay,  all sorts and colours available.   Only snag...if you've got locking wheel nuts,  the cheap replacements never include the special ones for the locking bolts.  But I've scrapped the locking bolts anyway.

• Like 1

I removed the plastic caps when I put my winters on after I had the car for a few weeks. They continue to rest In a plastic bag in the boot and will remain there.

I don't see their point. You barely notice them and I think they cause the bolts to corrode onto the rims etc.

I must agree with Zarniwoop the Skoda caps are the best, I bought some cheap replacements off E/Bay and they were a bad fit and the plastic tweezer was a complete waste of time. 

Tony

I try and line up the flats of the nut covers with the wheel bolts, and then gently ease/push them on.

Re the locking bolts, I've got 2 different sets so 2 different lock bolts per wheel.

Those covers are different to the standard wheel bolt cover.

Just had a second main service done and took the lock bolts and all the bolt covers off, just in case the dealers w/shop need to remove the wheels.

I normally check a couple of wheels bolts every couple of months. Yes, I know I should check weekly.

?.......

I normally check a couple of wheels bolts every couple of months. Yes, I know I should check weekly.

I never check mine and in 50 years have never found one loose.......but I would after a dealership service just to make sure they haven't been over tightened with their airgun.

Likewise I have changed the wheels on my Yeti 6 times and have never had a problem with the plastic covers. Didn't even consider that removing (with the tweezers) or putting back on could be a problem!! About 40 seconds off/on seems about right.

Same here - not had any issue with them at all.

+1 Never even thought of them as an issue, summers went back on 2 days ago and just pushed the caps back on.

Dont remember even looking closely at them , did it by feel.

They come off without any hassle as well , never needed to use the tweezers ( only just discovered them !).