Not again!G

This is my second Fabia. I sold the first out of performance frustrations and reliability issues.

I've driven a Golf pd150 for about a year but got fed up of it so reverted back to a Fabia.

On my test drive it drove perfectly compared to the Golf. The slightest throttle was needed to bring it through the gears and it was responsive through the rev range.

Since buying, I've been to Wales and travelled about 1.5k miles. I managed a healthy 57mpg total, 62mpg on a run and a brilliant 450 miles out of a 40 quid tank (nearly full). The car really made the trip what it was and was a pleasure.

A week since my big drive, I'm afraid I'm feeling negative!

Sadly, (perhaps because the tank got too low?) Mpg has dropped by 10, Throttle feels like my old golf (laggy) and you need at least three quarter throttle to gain decent speed. Not only that, the off putting, laggy, embarrassing turbo whoosh sound is back...the sound of nightmares as when it happens, the car is slow and non economical.

I'm gutted and I've lost my 'perfect' car and genuinely disappointed with it now.

I'm hoping this is just the effects of injector cleaner removing power and not crud stuck in the injectors from stupidly letting the car run low.

So what do I start with? I'm hoping this is not the start of my nightmare mission to find the power loss culprit from my old car.

Please help!!!

Potentially could be I guess. Does this mean nearly every Fabia I've driven has leaked boost? Only one that didn't was test driving a 50k mile car which was spot on.

To be honest I've avoided looking at the bottom pipes!

Yup sounds like a boost leak especialy if you can hear the turbo whooshing or a loud hissing. I realy dont know what vag were thinking plastic boost pipes secured with two metal lugs and a big circlip especialy on a diesel with 1.5 bar of boost.

Well the mystery is the fact any whoosh sound is only there on occasion. makes me think it's the vnt not moving quick enough causing turbulent air.

On my old Fabia, I repaired every leak there was, testing the system fully and it still was laggy and whooshy.

But again, for the last 1300 plus miles, the car has been perfect and drove like a dream so I just don't understand how it can just change overnight without relating to letting the fuel run too low or something else.

Even in Wales with huge hills, it pulled lovely and smooth even under very low throttle.

Very frustrating.

Hmm..was much better today. I'm beginning to think it could be sticky VNT now or an actuator being lazy somewhere.

I'll check for boost leaks shortly though and I'm planning to sort out a replacement bottom boost pipe system because I can remember my old Fabia leaking like a trooper from the tight angled bottom joint.

Terrible design but I'll get around it!!!

Hmm..was much better today. I'm beginning to think it could be sticky VNT now or an actuator being lazy somewhere.

I'll check for boost leaks shortly though and I'm planning to sort out a replacement bottom boost pipe system because I can remember my old Fabia leaking like a trooper from the tight angled bottom joint.

Terrible design but I'll get around it!!!

Thats the spirit,Skoda drivers remind me of the mindset of old Alfa owners,they overlook the bad days and minor niggles because they know they're driving something pretty unique,with real character that on the good days will leave them grinning ear to ear.

Thats the spirit,Skoda drivers remind me of the mindset of old Alfa owners,they overlook the bad days and minor niggles because they know they're driving something pretty unique,with real character that on the good days will leave them grinning ear to ear.

- maybe thats why the worlds gravity pulled me to a vrs, old 145 cloverleaf owner :P

• Like 1

- maybe thats why the worlds gravity pulled me to a vrs, old 145 cloverleaf owner :p

More likely the promise of a dramatic improvement in fuel economy whilst still being capable of hustling when needed. Bet you didn't expect the excrescent handling though!

i dont find it that bad, not great but certainly driven a lot worst. I have a fitted a front strut brace, Polybushed the wishbone and have a rear whitline rarb to fit when the h&r springs get done. Waiting till next pay day to get top mounts and bushes and bilsten b4s, then fit all at once. Cars done nr 140k, these parts need refreshing, so considering 140k miles, i dont find the handing bad.

Hmm..feels slower again. Turbo lag has gone up. Fuel economy has decreased as you need to use more throttle. The throttle isn't nice and sensitive anymore. No smoke, no boost leak noise or smoke.

Anyone got any ideas or do I need to visit a shrink for detecting subtle changes or 'getting used to it'?!

Edited by jamwatn

I did a Mr Muscle vnt clean. Didn't do it for long enough perhaps as it doesn't seem to have made a blind bit of difference.

Getting really disappointed in the Fabia. Starting to remember why I got rid of the last one.

I did a Mr Muscle vnt clean. Didn't do it for long enough perhaps as it doesn't seem to have made a blind bit of difference.

That's because it doesn't really do anything, it's a placebo, your VNT isn't sticking, VNT sticking is rare, use VCDS to log boost and post the results.

Why don't you speak to Fabooka about getting it re-mapped he maybe able to point you in the right direction.

My cars done over 130,000 now and it still pulls well no boost leaks that i'm aware of but I have cable tied each joint.

Have you got proof its a placebo? Surely if you genuinely are cleaning carbon and moving the actuator it must make a difference.

Anyway I'm now going to log some stuff. I'll post results.

Have you got proof its a placebo? Surely if you genuinely are cleaning carbon and moving the actuator it must make a difference.

Anyway I'm now going to log some stuff. I'll post results.

Seriously, how long do you think 'carbon buildup' will survive at 500 to 700 degrees celsius, it isn't carbon that causes VNT failure, it's excessive EGT, anything over 700 degrees and your turbo is on borrowed time.

What he is saying is that if the Turbo wasn't sooted up beforehand then cleaning it will make very little difference, that's not to say that it doesn't help on a turbo that needed to be cleaned.

I don't know much about mapping but to me that graph looks ok, the specified intake pressure is nigh the same as the actual so correct me if im wrong but that would indicate no boost leaks?

Your best off speaking to someone like Faboka as he re-maps cars for a living.