Tdi or Tsi?

Hi everyone been on here ages ago asking about the original fabia vrs anyway the mrs bought a punto and i lost about 2k there  :sweat:

So im back in the market for a newerish car looking for a 11-12 plate monte carlo cant decide on a derv or a perv any good arguments for each engine?

Ill probably do pretty low mileage but with the odd motorway run so dpf shouldnt be a prob should it? and tax is so low on the derv im really swaying toward it, But theres a lot more pervs to pick from any helpful advice or pointers please?

Thanks in advance

Definitely petrol for me. I've owned a 1.6 TDi (105 bhp) and found it relatively gutless, not especially economical (mid 40's over 10K miles) and quite unrefined. I went from a 1.9 TDi Roomster to a 1.6 CR and regretted it so much I got rid of the CR car after just 1 year / 10K miles.

The TSi (again 105 BHP - owned both a Yeti and Rapid) is much quieter, happy on the motorway and a generally more pleasant unit to live with day to day. It can be reasonably economical and the fuel is cheaper.

• Like 2

I had a 1.6 cr90 Tdi from new - had to go after a year - apart from constant breakdowns, it was not that economical. In fairness it performed well (when it was going!)

Replaced with a 1.2 TSI, now well pleased.

• Like 1

I went from about 15 years of Derv driving to my 1.2 TSI 105 and love it. It's surprising how nippy it is and gets low 40s mpg round the doors but high 40s on a good run.

The engine is smoother and quieter also and petrol is cheaper per litre and so should the TSI be compared to the TDI in the first place.

Go on, you know you want one ;)

Be aware that some Adverts can wrongly show the car as a 1.2 TSI 105ps Monte Carlo.

So be sure it is if that is what you want and that it is not a 1.2 TSI 86ps Monte Carlo.

(or heaven forbid one of the very few 69ps Monte Carlo)

Then if it says,

Monte Carlo,

or Monte Carlo Tech,  check which it actually is.

• Like 2

No idea on the Specs or Options on Monte Carlos, Monte owners will know.

Techs might be as they came, not so sure that you could add Options other than Dealer Fit.

Then some might have Lowering Springs fitted.

& be aware of cars that might or might not have options,

ESP or the likes.

Thanks the tech is with satnav isnt it?

Techs or Black Editions only came with 105bhp TDI &TSI engines and have the Amundsen+ as standard with Bluetooth and Maxidot.

They couldn't be specced up either so just beware that dealers might try and sell a base Monte with a few options as a Tech as well, it has been known.

The Black Edition also came with heated front seats but apart from that they are identical to the Tech, they should also have an Audi/VW style shark fin roof ariel not the standard narrow base ariel, happy hunting. ;)

• Like 1

TDi from me  :peek:

Had a couple of DPF issues up to 10k miles but never since, its happy going round town for a week and then a short blast at the weekends. I do a 300 mile round trip once every fortnight and get about 48MPG with a heavy foot and 55-60 with a light foot. I preferred the grunt of the diesel compared to petrol :) drove both side by side at a dealer.

There was a month where I only ran it around town. Didn't have to fill it for 4 weeks  :clap:  Oh, and try and find a Tech! The satnav and goodies are great and will give the car great value come resale or p/x etc.

• Like 1

Petrol all the way. Far nicer place to be and modern turbo petrols have such good shove that you don't need a diesel to provide that anymore. 

Coupled with much cheaper fuel and less to go wrong (no DPF or dual mass flywheels!) it makes it a no-brainer imo. You need to be doing 20k+miles or need a luxobarge to really make diesel worth it. 

The 1.2TSi 105 is a real peach of an engine. Happy to rev out to the redline and pulls nicely. High 40s on a run and mid to high 30s around town. 

i hired Ibiza 105 TSI in spain for a week last Nov. 

i drove up in the mountains, revved the engine alot. i was very impressed with the engine. very capable for steep mountain. 

i did brim to brim mpg calculation. the way i drove like i stole the car. 36mpg. very impressed

I thought the 1.6TDI only mapped to about 130-135

beware of removing the dpf etc as regs on MOT's mean there will be a visual check to confirm emission control kit is still present

I thought the 1.6TDI only mapped to about 130-135

beware of removing the dpf etc as regs on MOT's mean there will be a visual check to confirm emission control kit is still present

Ye 150 seems a bit over the top or just a stupidly undrivable map ive seen print outs of 142.5 searching for proof on the web tho id be happy with around 130 tbh, my mate does my mots and as long as it physically there itll pass (even if i cut it open smash out the gubbins and weld it back up again) might still just go with the map good excuse for a nice trip once a month clear it out :)

• Like 1

Take the advice of former 1.6 TDI owners. You are about to go into an expensive period, with much potential inconvenience -

I spent 40 plus years in the industry, and also had a 1.6 TDI (CR 90 -2011) from new. This advice is well intended.

Aside from all the diseasel running issues associated with low mileage driving, you will be paying more for fuel as well as petrol is cheaper.

Also there is a large move against derv being orchestrated by the EU in a bid to rid cities of the pollution. It's starting to gather momentum and soon residual values will take a hit.

Small capacity turbo petrol engines are the way to go for the next 5 years or so

Ive gone against the better advice of most of you and bought a tdi pick her up monday  :clap:

When i say ill do low mileage its because ill only use it two days a week when most of you are daily drives ive got a van for that and to go anywhere from here its either up or down a dual carriageway not town driving as is associated with low mileage, Hope the dpf doesnt come and bite me in the but now lol  :D

• Like 1

Ive gone against the better advice of most of you and bought a tdi pick her up monday  :clap:

When i say ill do low mileage its because ill only use it two days a week when most of you are daily drives ive got a van for that and to go anywhere from here its either up or down a dual carriageway not town driving as is associated with low mileage, Hope the dpf doesnt come and bite me in the but now lol  :D

Is it a monte? Plenty of them around South Wales oddly enough! Might see you around my missus lives in Magor SW :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...