Rear brake calliper issue... urgent help plz

Jay29

Hi peeps, I had an issue with my skoda fabia VRS...Was driving the car yesterday when all of a sudden it felt as though the handbrake was stuck on because the car was dragging (no handbrake light appeared). The handbrake lever became loose to the point it had no feel and became flimsy.

I had a mobile mechanic come check the car today and it appears the rear left calliper is where the issue lies. The handbrake cable has come away from the calliper (as circled in red in the image) and the top rubber nib from handbrake cable where it slots into the calliper is missing.

The mech reckons it's the calliper is at fault here and has recommended it needs replacing and that I source the part.

However looking at cable and mechanism it looks like it can be slotted back in? Am I wrong or does it actually need replacing??

Below is a sample image showing the handbrake cable that has come away from the calliper bracket

Any help / advice / info greatly apprecaited

Thanks

post-114376-0-26791100-1429358729_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jay29

cheers for the reply.... I did read on the helper spring and looking into these, but is the calliper itself knackered or does it require replacement ?

How in the hell would I know?

if it's seized and won't free off then it's knackered.

Lol sorry bro the bracket where the cable goes into is moving as I can move it by hand with a bit of force...

God knows just don't wanna replace if not needed

In any case bought the helper springs

Edited by Jay29

In the first case if the handbrake cable has come away from the caliper, then u wouldn't get the feeling of that wheel dragging as if the handbrake is on.

If you are getting the rear brake dragging then it's most likely to be a seized caliper and/or a seized handbrake mechanism on that caliper.

Best long term solution would be get an replacement refurb caliper.

The spring clips help push the handbrake mechanism on the caliper back when the handbrake is off