Bolero CD Fault

twigd

Before I start, apologies in advance if this has been posted before, I've had a look and couldn't find anything.

I don't know if I'm just having bad luck, but it seems just about every 3 months my Yeti finds another 'problem' to have. Fortunately this one isn't as serious as last time, but non the less it's very annoying. My Bolero system has started intermittently playing a track, getting so far through, jumping to the next track, stalling a second without playing, going back to the original track and playing that again from the beginning. Quite often this process is repeated until the engine has been turned off for some time, but it keeps coming back every couple of days.

In case that was a bit confusing, the following happens:

Playing Track 5.

Tracking five hits approx 2:45 of 3:50.

Jumps to Track 6.

Nothing happens for a second.

Jumps to Track 5.

Plays Track 5 from beginning.

And repeat.

I've tried all the obvious things, different CDs, different CD slots in changer etc. Can't find a particular scenario that causes it.

Car is a 2014 (14 plate) Skoda Yeti 4x4 140ps Outdoor.

Any ideas? 

try locating the radio fuse in the engine compartment board and pull it out for a couple of mins, try it! might just need a fresh reboot!

Good idea, thanks! I'll try it and see what happens. Typically all issues I get are intermittent so testing anything can be difficult!

Have you a laser lens cleaning CD?
Could be some dust that would be cleaned off that is causing it to skip about.

If not as simple as that it could be time for a dealer warranty visit.

Have you a laser lens cleaning CD?

Could be some dust that would be cleaned off that is causing it to skip about.

If not as simple as that it could be time for a dealer warranty visit.

Could it be a duff CD?

I've tried multiple CD's and in different CD slots on the changer. Although I'm guessing they might all use a single laser to read so maybe a cleaner might help. My last warranty visit took over 3 months to resolve because I couldn't 'prove' there and then that an issue existed so they just didn't believe me. If I can't resolve it with something basic I'll be on the phone to Skoda UK as I really don't expect to have this many problems with a brand new car.

If it looks like a dealer visit is on the cards could you try setting up a camera to record both the soundtrack and what's showing on the display and leave it to run until you have a recording of the fault. It might sound daft but some years ago I had problems with loudly squeaking central heating pipes in a newly installed whole house system installed by one of the major names for such work. This tended to be at its worst when the system was at its coldest, so sometimes in the early hours of the morning if the frost-stat kicked in. Of course whenever an engineer turned up during the day the system would be relatively warm so the fault wouldn't reproduce. Fed up with being looked at as though I was "a bit odd" I recorded it and sent a copy to the company. After that they started to treat it seriously and eventually resolved the problem - expansion noise from badly fitted hot and cold pipes in contact with each other. No harm in trying?

• Like 1

I haven't marked this as 'resolved' because as fate would have it, I didn't have time to try the fuses the day after the recommendation and since it hasn't gone wrong at all. I'm guessing minor software glitch resolved by some time being turned off. Weird one. I'll post if anything else occurs / a fix works. Thanks all!

I've tried multiple CD's and in different CD slots on the changer. Although I'm guessing they might all use a single laser to read

I think that's a given.  When you select a different CD you can hear the changer mechanism swapping the newly selected CD into the drive.  If there was a separate drive and read laser for each CD then the changeover time between CDs would only be as long as it took to spin up the newly selected CD in its drive.

If you've ever had a separate CD autochanger, it's clear that the Bolero (old style, since the latest version one doesn't do CDs) is just an audio head and a CD autochanger integrated into a single package.