upgrading from 1.2 yeti to 3.6 superb

hi,

i have not been on here for a while but would like some of your thoughts and advice on my upgrade from a yeti to a superb.

i have had a 1.2 yeti for 5 years and fancied a change so have ordered (collecting on Friday) a superb estate v6 in elegance spec.

has anyone else made the same change and are there any pointers as to running it in or is it the same as the 1.2 in that you just drive it as you normally would and it sorts itself out.

i can see from this forum and from what the dealer said that this would be a rare car in the uk and would like to know if anyone has had any trouble with dealers not knowing how to work on it if the need arose.

when i ordered it the branch manager came up to me and shook my hand and said thanks for the order as they had never sold a v6 before. 

i am also impressed by the speed at which the car has been delivered to the dealer, it has only been 7 weeks since i ordered and it was delivered to the dealer yesterday.

the increase in size and power is what i am looking forward to and will hopefully enjoy a trip to Germany in June 

cheers

matthew

• Like 1

Wow, that is a serious step up in power, refinement and grunt (and lots of it with that V6 [emoji3]). Normally I would question the logic of purchasing so close to a new model launch but what you are getting is extra special given that the 3.6V6 will be discontinued in mkIII form. There will be a 2.0 280bhp petrol of course but minus the V6 growl!!

I think the current 3.6 L&K will be a collectors car in years to come not to mention being one of the ultimate sleeper cars! Enjoy every bit of it [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Hi Matthew

Welcome to the very exclusive 3.6 club!

When I ran mine in, 4 years ago now, time flies (as does the car :-) ) I just kept it under about 3k rpm for the first 1k miles then gradually increased the revs until at around 1500 miles I used full throttle  :devil:

The only issue you will have re servicing is the mechanic's fighting to service your car! Every time mine goes to Skoda they all crowd round for a look  :D . The forman came out when I took it in for its 1st service and said only he would take it for a test drive  :angel:  but also said I could come too, as he did not want to be tempted by it lol

Enjoy your new baby

• Like 3

What a fantastic upgrade :D

Welcome aboard the good ship V6 ;) I have been dragging up all the threads I can find on V6 ownership on here so hopefully if you look over the first couple of pages you will find some useful info. on the V6 cars and ownership.

I love mine (alas was never in a position to purchase new but that was the appeal of this car...) but a couple of months in I am just grinning from ear to ear. Mine is a 2010 estate and is a rapid and refined joy.

Enjoy the new toy sir!

Dave

• Like 1

When you floor the throttle for the first time, make sure a) you're on a straight road a long way behind the nearest vehicle and B) you're wearing brown trousers(!). The step up from the 1.2 Yeti to the 3.6 will be "quite" noticeable, especially as the gearbox will sort out the best gear for maximum acceleration!

thanks for all your kind words of advice, i just cant wait until Friday to get my hands on it.

if i remember to take my camera with me i will put some pics on here of it for you all to ogle at longingly  :D

matthew

• Like 4

This is the car we would all like or something similar (big effortless engine) but unfortunately the running costs are just too much especially if doing high annual mileage. 2.0 TDI is a reasonable compromise but let's be honest, this is really where it's at. Enjoy!

• Like 2

thanks for all your kind words of advice, i just cant wait until Friday to get my hands on it.

if i remember to take my camera with me i will put some pics on here of it for you all to ogle at longingly  :D

matthew

Enjoy, what colour did you choose and any optional extras?

This is the car we would all like or something similar (big effortless engine) but unfortunately the running costs are just too much especially if doing high annual mileage. 2.0 TDI is a reasonable compromise but let's be honest, this is really where it's at. Enjoy!

Yup.... there's no replacement for displacement (albeit the torque figs are the same as the CR170 in standard form!) LOL! And I too think this'll be a keeper-sleeper luxobarge in a few years.  

• Like 1

When I got a Yeti as a courtesy car while my Superb was being serviced, the most noticeable difference when I sat in was how much closer the back window was in the rear view mirror in the Yeti compared to the Superb. That and the Yeti's turning circle is noticeably smaller. The aerodynamics on the Yeti don't make for great economy at motorway speeds compared to the Superb (The Yeti was noticeably heavier on fuel while cruising at motorway speeds with a 1.6 diesel than my 2.0 diesel Superb). Enjoy it :D.

The engine is bullet proof and a detuned version of mine R36 , not great mpg but ok on motorway 32 mpg, silky smooth, enjoy !

I sit in the R36 camp with Alan here.... the 3.6 V6 engine is bulletproof and i've never had an issue with either of the R36's i have owned.

Nice upgrade and i think you will love it for sure! :thumbup:

• Like 2

I love the v6! My mum had a 1.2 Yeti DSG it's nippy but the v6 is effortless! :) 

Servicing was fine at our local Carrs dealer, they had one in before. It's used in VW, and I believe Porsche use the 3.6 on a few models? it'll be easy trust a dealer when it comes to servicing. 

Get some photos up soon!

• Like 2

I love the v6! My mum had a 1.2 Yeti DSG it's nippy but the v6 is effortless! :) 

Servicing was fine at our local Carrs dealer, they had one in before. It's used in VW, and I believe Porsche use the 3.6 on a few models? it'll be easy trust a dealer when it comes to servicing. 

Get some photos up soon!

Porsche do indeed - the V6 Cayenne and the base Panamera use the 3.6 (with different ECU set ups, exhaust etc.).

When funds allow I'd like the remap to engine and DSG....plus custom exhaust. If I can push towards R36+ power I'd be happy.

• Like 2

Enjoy, what colour did you choose and any optional extras?

i have picked the pacific blue and added park assist to get the front sensors, powered tailgate, hill hold, luxon alloys, boot floor with rails and the steering wheel with paddles.

matthew

• Like 1

Porsche do indeed - the V6 Cayenne and the base Panamera use the 3.6 (with different ECU set ups, exhaust etc.).

When funds allow I'd like the remap to engine and DSG....plus custom exhaust. If I can push towards R36+ power I'd be happy.

Ive a custom exhaust too  :sun:

• Like 2

get an r36 or porsche ecu and remap it then see a bit more power

• Like 1

any pointers as to running it in or is it the same as the 1.2 in that you just drive it as you normally would and it sorts itself out.

It just boils down to the same thing, the piece of organic matter behind the wheel. Doesn't matter if you're in a 3.6 or a 1.2. Drive like you did before and you'll be fine.

You might notice a slight increase in power though.

Enjoy!  :clap:

Edited by Too Tall

It just boils down to the same thing, the piece of organic matter behind the wheel. Doesn't matter if you're in a 3.6 or a 1.2. Drive like you did before and you'll be fine.

You might notice a slight increase in power though.

Enjoy!  :clap:

Nah feck it,"drive it like your late for mass"
  • Like 2